Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 02:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
My mother in law was a big Dis-believer that her rights were restricted and babbled about it for a decade until her husband died. She had some life insurance that we invested for her into some income properties to support her.
One of the tenants tried to burn the house down so she had to get a permit to rebuild the house. They wouldnt let her do what she wanted and told her that she had to go and complain to the city council. They gave her 60 seconds to present her case and when she went over it they had her thrown out. SO she placed a sign on the front yard complaining about the city council in which the city removed the sign then sent her a find for $500 which she refused to pay and ended up in jail. There is much more to this story involving fines and restrictions but I just dont have the time to write about it.
Today She is a complete believer in just how much her rights are restricted these days.
And of course none of that would have happened to her had she only purchased a firearm?

Remember the title of the thread? It's somehow relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 03:23 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
So says a typical member of the fearful.
The question is whether wanting the ability to defend against any potential violator of rights is being fearful, or if trusting that the government will never be that violator is being naive.

History makes me think it's the latter, as there are plenty of well-known examples of it.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The question is whether wanting the ability to defend against any potential violator of rights is being fearful, or if trusting that the government will never be that violator is being naive.

History makes me think it's the latter, as there are plenty of well-known examples of it.
Also, can the government do as good of a job of defending your life and property as you could do for yourself?

This is what I do for a living and the answer is a resounding "NO".

The cops do not know the parameters of your property, how many entry points you have, who should be there/who shouldn't, etc.

Plus not to mention when seconds count the cops will be there in minutes.

Many times local ordinances forbid measures that would help secure a private property from the bad guys. Not to bore everyone with me talking shop but landscaping, lighting, and even house color can help protect you from intruders. First you have to check with Big Brother to see what measures you can implement though.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Also, can the government do as good of a job of defending your life and property as you could do for yourself?

This is what I do for a living and the answer is a resounding "NO".

The cops do not know the parameters of your property, how many entry points you have, who should be there/who shouldn't, etc.

Plus not to mention when seconds count the cops will be there in minutes.

Many times local ordinances forbid measures that would help secure a private property from the bad guys. Not to bore everyone with me talking shop but landscaping, lighting, and even house color can help protect you from intruders. First you have to check with Big Brother to see what measures you can implement though.
And even if you have someone who can't defend themselves for whatever reason, it's still much better to arrange for someone they know or trust to help protect them.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:09 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
So says a typical member of the fearful.
I fear nothing. I laugh at most

Old 05-29-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
And even if you have someone who can't defend themselves for whatever reason, it's still much better to arrange for someone they know or trust to help protect them.
Part of my job is educating my clients on what they need to do to protect themselves from the police/litigation..not just intruders.

The oldest part-owner in my business always says that part of the job has become increasingly important over the years. It was almost a non-issue when he started.

Sad really.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
And of course none of that would have happened to her had she only purchased a firearm?

Remember the title of the thread? It's somehow relevant.
Of course it wouldnt have happened. This was in Illinois. They would have killed her if she walked into the city meeting with a firearm.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Part of my job is educating my clients on what they need to do to protect themselves from the police/litigation..not just intruders.

The oldest part-owner in my business always says that part of the job has become increasingly important over the years. It was almost a non-issue when he started.

Sad really.
It is sad. I still think your job sounds cool. Very AnCap haha

Unrelated, but my job is dealing with shipping/transportation out of a warehouse in Rancho Cucamonga...so close-ish to you if I remember correctly.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I fear nothing. I laugh at most
Yep, that's readily apparent alrighty.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
It is sad. I still think your job sounds cool. Very AnCap haha

Unrelated, but my job is dealing with shipping/transportation out of a warehouse in Rancho Cucamonga...so close-ish to you if I remember correctly.
It is an-capish!

Though paying taxes probably negates any positives I may accomplish via my work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies