Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:06 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,880,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Extreme gun control ideology is always spewed by liberals and anyone with a similar viewpoint is liberal as well. No conservative can have those type of ideas.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I have met more than one died in the wool conservative that is anti-gun ownership, You do know that once can still be classified as a Liberal or Conservative and not agree 100% with everything that is considered to be Liberal or Conservative thinking, don't ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 06:07 AM

369 posts, read 192,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
That was what came to mind for me also. Why is it everyone assumes that our sons and daughters would be wiling to shoot down their own friends and family. My guess is that the vast majority would join in the revolution if it was for a Just Cause.
Revolutions happen at the ballot box.

If ever there was a just cause for a minority of the U.S. population to take power from the majority by force, the U.S. invasion of Iraq was it. But nothing happened.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:13 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,946,456 times
Your cousin sounds a bit like my cousin. As usual we text on Saturdays and Sundays during and after the Buckeyes and Browns games. BTW he currently lives in Louisville. Got into a debate which started about college teams. I told him I was rooting against Michigan State in the playoffs, because they are the Buckeyes rival! His response was f*** the SEC and that he hated the south as a whole! I said, what's not to like about the south, better weather and all, and his response was "a bunch of gun toting racists!" I reminded him that this "yankee" firmly supports the 2nd Amendment and EVERY red blooded American that is a non-felon should take advantage of that right afforded to them. End debate.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Your cousin sounds a bit like my cousin. As usual we text on Saturdays and Sundays during and after the Buckeyes and Browns games. BTW he currently lives in Louisville. Got into a debate which started about college teams. I told him I was rooting against Michigan State in the playoffs, because they are the Buckeyes rival! His response was f*** the SEC and that he hated the south as a whole! I said, what's not to like about the south, better weather and all, and his response was "a bunch of gun toting racists!" I reminded him that this "yankee" firmly supports the 2nd Amendment and EVERY red blooded American that is a non-felon should take advantage of that right afforded to them. End debate.
I'm a lot like your cousin in that I root for blue state teams over red state teams. With Texas and Florida teams at the absolute bottom. But I'm not kneejerk anti-gun; I've owned firearms in the past and may own them in the future.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhno75 View Post
I'm a lot like your cousin in that I root for blue state teams over red state teams. With Texas and Florida teams at the absolute bottom. But I'm not kneejerk anti-gun; I've owned firearms in the past and may own them in the future.

Well... I'm a Buckeyes fan first and foremost, meaning I will root for ANYONE that is playing one of their rivals including Michigan, and Michigan State! That goes for the Browns. I root for them and anyone who plays Pittsburgh, followed by Baltimore, and then Cincinnati! I kind of root for Florida, because I have a soft spot for them, which probably stems from the number of times I've visited that state as a kid! Good times for sure!

As for his knee jerk response, he has b***ed about the south being racist, and I've reminded him that there is just as much, if not more in his home state of Ohio, and growing up here he should know that. I was however; shocked that he threw the anti-gun jab out there though. As for owning firearms, take advantage of that right afforded to you.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 AM

37,760 posts, read 40,861,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post

Me: are you serious right now? Have you never heard of the Vietnam War? You act like a rebellion would be fought in an open field. When was the last time a battle was fought like that? It would be a guerilla war, mostly fought in cities where air superiority would mean nothing. Also, an army would need to be deployed and there are 350 million Americans. Ordinary rebels would hide in the shadows and fight a guerilla war. All those bombs and fighter jets would be for nothing. It's laughable that you cannot see this.

That was the gist of it. We didn't get along well. We agreed on nothing. like I said, I normally just ignore Liberals in person.
No war can get me if I go to my safe space and put on a bicycle helmet. So, there!

Old 12-09-2015, 06:43 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,894,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
What's going to happen to your little rebellion when both the government and a good chunk of the population disagree with you?

No offense, Vietnam was 40-50 years ago, and the government is packing all sorts of stuff that wasn't invented then. And you're going to pull off a conservative insurgency by fighting in cities? People ain't going to put up with that!
Force on force confrontations will be avoided at all costs. If you don't want to read it all, scroll down to the paragraph starting with "Back to my story" and start from there. https://westernrifleshooters.wordpre...w-at-the-coup/

If you think this is total fiction, the author has a background in this stuff - Enemies Foreign and Domestic Web Site

Old 12-09-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
As for his knee jerk response, he has b***ed about the south being racist, and I've reminded him that there is just as much, if not more in his home state of Ohio, and growing up here he should know that. I was however; shocked that he threw the anti-gun jab out there though. As for owning firearms, take advantage of that right afforded to you.
Yes, there are plenty of abhorrent racists in the North. Jon Burge springs to mind. But they are sometimes, however belatedly, held to account. Will that happen to the Dothan, AL police who are now known to have framed almost 1,000 black men for drugs? We'll see.

While I have no problem with any normal, mentally healthy, law-abiding person owning firearms, I can see why someone would dislike a particular type of "gun-toting" Southerners; not because they have the audacity to own one, but because they are obnoxious about it, and obnoxious in general. Being a responsible gun owner does not require one to have a gun fetish; and when I see people who do, I wonder what shortcomings they may be compensating for.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:10 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,122,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but I have met more than one died in the wool conservative that is anti-gun ownership, You do know that once can still be classified as a Liberal or Conservative and not agree 100% with everything that is considered to be Liberal or Conservative thinking, don't ya?
I guess I should have added this to my comment.....

The OP labels his friend's cousin as liberal by nothing more than his views on guns.

I'm sick of the extreme polarization in politics and political ideology today. People seem to have this all or nothing attitude.

People can agree with ideas on both sides and still be conservative or liberal or gasp, an ........ independent moderate. (they do exist I'm told)

Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhno75 View Post
Yes, there are plenty of abhorrent racists in the North. Jon Burge springs to mind. But they are sometimes, however belatedly, held to account. Will that happen to the Dothan, AL police who are now known to have framed almost 1,000 black men for drugs? We'll see.

While I have no problem with any normal, mentally healthy, law-abiding person owning firearms, I can see why someone would dislike a particular type of "gun-toting" Southerners; not because they have the audacity to own one, but because they are obnoxious about it, and obnoxious in general. Being a responsible gun owner does not require one to have a gun fetish; and when I see people who do, I wonder what shortcomings they may be compensating for.

Or perhaps they're being obnoxious about it due to a number of our elected officials are pushing for more restrictions, and they're sick of them trying to force gun control down everyone's throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies