Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:43 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,624,372 times

Advertisements

L.A. County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas wants the county’s sheriff, district attorney, probation chief, health officials and lawyers to evaluate a number of other options for preventing violence, including expanding gun buy-back programs, requiring additional background checks on guns sold within the county, mandating insurance for gun purchasers to cover tragic outcomes and taxing ammunition and firearms.

“Now is the time to act,” Ridley-Thomas said, pointing to the U.S. Supreme Court’s refusal on Monday to hear a Second Amendment challenge to a Highland Park, Illinois, ordinance banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

What insurance company would write a policy on firearms covering "tragic outcomes," and what would additional taxes be used for? Politicians really need to think before jumping on the anti-firearm bandwagon.

County to Consider Mandatory Gun Insurance and Bullet Tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:01 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,900,022 times
Just another way of saying "We MUST do SOMETHING, even if it is WRONG, and accomplishes nothing!"
IMO, it is worthy of note that apparently these people are NOT against VIOLENCE, they are just against GUN VIOLENCE!
I'm sure glad my son moved out of CA. Now I have no reason to EVER go there again!

Old 12-09-2015, 02:52 PM

769 posts, read 824,507 times
Insurance is just a way to make possession of guns unaffordable for the average person

Old 12-09-2015, 03:02 PM

17,352 posts, read 13,092,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Insurance is just a way to make possession of guns unaffordable for the average person
Actually, insurance is a damn good idea. We use Second Call Defense | Complete Legal Protection For Armed Self Defense there is also https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ and I am sure there are more companies out there.

Picked 2nd call because we know the founder. They also pay legal costs starting after an incident not after a victory in the court like USCCA does. We do subscribe to the USCCA magazine. Great resource.

Your home owners insurance will not cover you if you are involved in a self defense shooting

Old 12-10-2015, 06:05 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,624,372 times
The L.A. County Supervisor isn't talking about insurance that benefits gun owners. Far from it. He wants to force gun owners to purchase some kind of liability insurance that would cover "tragic outcomes" if their firearm harms someone.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:12 PM

24,278 posts, read 16,947,120 times
Adding another cost to own a gun is just another way to take them out of peoples hands, law abiding hands.

When you think about it insurance would be a good idea. We have insurance on another potentially deadly device our cars.

If the gun is stolen does the insurance pay or does it pay if that stolen gun is used to kill someone?

This sounds like an attempt to "do something" even if it is the wrong approach to something. I'd rather see the laws already on the books enforced. You commit a crime with a gun there is no plea bargain, no reduction in sentence you go away to prison. The word will get out and criminals will leave the guns at home but of course they will turn to knives etc..

Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 PM

19,446 posts, read 22,362,251 times
I carry insurance on my personal property and also on me if I use deadly force.

Everybody else can go to he*l.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 PM

7,727 posts, read 6,286,329 times
Psycho-ceramic, a real crackpot.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:47 PM

477 posts, read 274,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The word will get out and criminals will leave the guns at home
I doubt it. Even with the death penalty on the table the bad guys still murder.

Let's not forget how many mass killers actually want to die after they kill their targets, they are NOT deterred by any laws.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:35 AM

50,068 posts, read 46,625,795 times
Straight out of smell A. Not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies