Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:00 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times

Advertisements

I'm skeptical about this Court's ability to get anything right.

You've got 4 mindless liberals who don't even think about the cases except to figure out what the best outcome for liberals would be and then come up with a line of reasoning to get there.

You've got Kennedy and Roberts, who do the same thing but the result they manufacture is based on their own personal opinion which may or may not be liberal.

There are only three justices who routinely do their job like they are supposed to: Alito, Scalia and Thomas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:18 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No way white people let them do that. These schools are historically WASP. They're not going to lose that to a bunch of Asians, particularly ones who are foreigners and are only here for school before heading back to their home country.
Well that's what has happened in California after that state eliminated race based enrollment. AA and white enrollments went down while asian enrollments shot through the roof. Private Ivy League universities are free to do as they please and won't be impacted, but state universities will likely see the same thing happen should SCOTUS agree with the lower courts.

Heck, as it is I wonder how much of the Ivy League enrollments are WASP legacies and foreign nationals that pay full tuition versus achievement based enrollees.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
If Asians are smarter and more hardworking, let them have even 100%, if it's based on their grades and results.
I agree. Admissions should be merit-based and race/ethnicity-blind. Period.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
I can't wait until College Affirmative Action is eliminated and Asians make up 70% of the Ivy League schools or Ivy quality schools(MIT/Stanford). If anything, AA has only helped white students have a higher percentage in the elite colleges.

As they should. Their educational discipline is exceptional. Lead by example.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Affirmative Action was needed for a generation but now, it's ridiculous. Why do my neighbors kids (Father is a surgeon) get huge preference compared to my kids just because the Father is black?

No it wasn't.

It offended every free black american! I would feel less than a person if my own government confirmed, I could never make it in life without them keeping me enslaved to the government. So why try and make it.

Today, Blacks in high places, are not required to be the best they can. They are required to be black.
That is what affirmative action has brought us. Look at the President and his racist wife for proof of this.
Affirmative Action, made it all the way to the whitehouse requirements.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:48 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
I will preface by noting that I do not know all the specific details of the case (including intent) but...

I agree college kids learn "better" with more diversity if better means a more well-rounded exposure to, and understanding of, a variety of life experiences and viewpoints different from their own, especially if they had lived a very limited and sheltered life up to that point. And if "diversity" includes more than just race (defined as Asian/White/Black/Hispanic/Native American/Other).

But, that needs to happen organically on a college campus and in life -- not artificially imposed by a racial criteria where the only diversity guaranteed is that of skin color, but not necessarily the rest (e.g. an affluent black kid of a surgeon given preferential admission over a poor white/Asian kid from a broken home, who had to overcome many more obstacles in life to get their education). Even then, putting, say, a rich white kid into a dorm room with a poor minority kid doesn't guarantee either will have learned much from the other if they are the average immature, self-absorbed, unaware 18-19 yr. old. It would take time and maturity gained by simply living life, and that would be out of the scope of college administrators and government mandates.

The ideal scenario for those proponents of affirmative action should be to base admission on merit first, (because the foremost purpose of college should be to provide a rigorous academic education that prepares qualified students with skills to be self-sufficient, productive contributors of society). Then, among applicants of equal merit, give weight to socio-economic background/life experiences, which would more likely than not bring with it the diversity they seek.

Last edited by mingna; 12-09-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 09:49 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
I can't wait until College Affirmative Action is eliminated and Asians make up 70% of the Ivy League schools or Ivy quality schools(MIT/Stanford). If anything, AA has only helped white students have a higher percentage in the elite colleges.
That's exactly what would happen, and I don't think white folks quite realize that. The spots going to minorities via affirmative action will now basically go to Asians. Moreover, a substantial portion of the white students will be of Ashkenazi Jewish descent, as is the case now.

But thank god there is still the biggest affirmative action of them all, the legacy system.

Mick

Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post

You've got 4 mindless liberals who don't even think about the cases except to figure out what the best outcome for liberals would be and then come up with a line of reasoning to get there.

You've got Kennedy and Roberts, who do the same thing but the result they manufacture is based on their own personal opinion which may or may not be liberal.

There are only three justices who routinely do their job like they are supposed to: Alito, Scalia and Thomas.

They just reversed Heller v. Dc. with their ruling on the Illinois assault weapons ban.
Flip-flop as the wind changes direction.

The constitution has never change direction without an amendment.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post

I typically ascribe the term "mindless" to Justice Thomas. He never ever says anything at the oral arguments, nearly falling asleep on his chair, and basically he just copies all of his "answers" from Justice Scalia. If we are going to rail against affirmative action, he is the ultimate poster boy. He has acknowledged that he benefitted from affirmative action, yet he doesn't want others like him to benefit from it? What a hypocrite. Same for Dr. Carson, he acknowledged he benefitted from affirmative action and public assistance. But other people? F-k 'em. Do as I say, not as I do. . . . very conservative.

What you basically stated above is that you don't like justices who do not agree with you 100% of the time. Alrighty then.

Mick

Old 12-09-2015, 11:00 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
"If anything, AA has only helped white students have a higher percentage in the elite colleges.'

Are you claiming that elite colleges do NOT have AA programs?

If so, you are grossly MISINFORMED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies