Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,649,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
oh..please .. reparations?

What did my Irish grandfather who got off the boat eating potatoes and who lived in Hells kitchen have to do with slaves, He was crapped on at every turn but didn't give up

Or my father.. who employed anyone with a strong back and work ethic in the moving trade... and in our 110 year old family company .. and my mother who marched in "64

And me.. a policeman.. who worked the ghetto for much of my career protecting those who could not speak for themselves and who were screwed many times by the system... for many of them people like me were the only part of government that actually came when they called and gave a crap...

so.. no one in my family had anything to do with slavery... and me... and my fellow Americans aren't responsible for it...

If there is such a good case sue the southern democrackhead landowners and corporations that built themselves on it...

But make everyone pay... NO WAY
The OP was referring to reparations being applied at the time the people we freed, not today. You cannot punish people 150 years later, for the things done by people long dead.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:56 AM

37,940 posts, read 17,778,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
East Asians and South Asians, despite being very successful, still suffer daily racism and microagressions. Racism is not limited to yelling n'gger while hanging him from a tree or raping her. Racism is NOT a word, it's a concept that you, as a white male, will never remotely understand until you stop thinking minorities just complain needlessly.

Btw, by white privilage I mean SOCIAL privilage, NOT economic privilage. Why do Republicans always confuse the 2?
lmao A racist post in a thread about slavery. The irony of your post escapes you.
Okay for you to falsely group not okay for others.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,949,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The OP was referring to reparations being applied at the time the people we freed, not today. You cannot punish people 150 years later, for the things done by people long dead.

Of course not, but guilt ridden radical progressives keep trying to guilt trip the rest of us!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:00 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,537,416 times
Please stay on topic. This thread is about slave narratives and the curiosity regarding reparations being offered or considered for them only when they were living. This thread is not about other groups of people, and by the way no living black people will get reparations. It is a dead topic. Leave it be. OMG!!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:03 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,650,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
My parents were held as slaves by the Germans during WWII. There claims for payment of labor were opposed by the Clinton Administration and the German government.

I guess it was just a "donation" on my parents part to the people owning BMW, Mercedes, Krup, Siemens and other German corporations.

Here is the position of the Clinton Administration on reparations for slaves held during WWII.

"Such practice accords with the policy of the Clinton Administration, at that time in office, which opposed human rights litigation in instances in which such litigation would infringe or undermine U.S. obligations under treaty or executive agreements. The Clinton Administration opposed state-law claims against Japanese corporations for the use of slave labor during World War II on the grounds that such claims were barred by post-war treaties. Moreover, the Clinton Administratioin opposed claims of Holocaust victims on the ground that an executive agreement between the United States and Germany had created a foundation to specifically address compensation and restituition cleaims arising out of the Holocaust".....from Corporate Responsibility under the Alien Tort Statute.

Oh there still is a farm in Ukraine that god knows who owns it now.

At some point it all becomes mute.

I can understand the anger. I still harbor resentment towards Germans for what they did to my parents and their refusal to even apologize. That probably bites the worse.
Your parents are from Ukraine, and were taken from there to work in Germany during the occupation, right? I think all of the claims were resolved with USSR, and Germany paid reparation to USSR. Germany also resolved the claims with Israel by paying reparations to Israel as a state, and personal reparations also.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:10 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,640,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Please stay on topic. This thread is about slave narratives and the curiosity regarding reparations being offered or considered for them only when they were living. This thread is not about other groups of people, and by the way no living black people will get reparations. It is a dead topic. Leave it be. OMG!!
What's that old saying:
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
some posters just cant' resist the temptation to throw a stone or two.. I think its in their DNA!

Anyway, as for the topic..
I have read many of the slave narratives and they are fascinating beyond belief. You get a good sense of the ones who were treated humanely during their slave years and those who were not.. it can be a real eye opener to some...

Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,649,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
What's that old saying:
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
some posters just cant' resist the temptation to throw a stone or two.. I think its in their DNA!

Anyway, as for the topic..
I have read many of the slave narratives and they are fascinating beyond belief. You get a good sense of the ones who were treated humanely during their slave years and those who were not.. it can be a real eye opener to some...
That's what happens when you start a thread on one topic, and in that post you start rambling on about another topic.

Blame the OP for bringing reparations into the discussion. People should learn to focus on one topic in the post starting a thread discussion.

If a mechanic just finished rebuilding a '60s Mustang, and you started a conversation asking him about the engine he rebuilt, and then added a comment about how cars are causing global warming. You cannot be upset if the person starts objecting to your comment about global warming.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:30 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,411,191 times
Quote:
East Asians and South Asians, despite being very successful, still suffer daily racism and microagressions. Racism is not limited to yelling n'gger while hanging him from a tree or raping her. Racism is NOT a word, it's a concept that you, as a white male, will never remotely understand until you stop thinking minorities just complain needlessly.

Btw, by white privilage I mean SOCIAL privilage, NOT economic privilage. Why do Republicans always confuse the 2?
microagressions...bwahahahahahahahahahaha.. People need to grow the **** up.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 AM

52,447 posts, read 34,154,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
That's what happens when you start a thread on one topic, and in that post you start rambling on about another topic.

Blame the OP for bringing reparations into the discussion.
People should learn to focus on one topic in the post starting a thread discussion.

If a mechanic just finished rebuilding a '60s Mustang, and you started a conversation asking him about the engine he rebuilt, and then added a comment about how cars are causing global warming. You cannot be upset if the person starts objecting to your comment about global warming.
what's funny is how she's whining like a banshee now that other people are discussing the topic that SHE introduced

Old 12-10-2015, 10:30 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,285,883 times
Quote:

Guess what group of people is most blatantly racist towards Asians ? Not Whites, but Blacks. Just ask any Asian kid in a diverse school what group made most cruel / insensitive Asian jokes.

And guess what group of people uses the most racial slurs ? Not the white kids, they were taught that using a N word is wrong and will be punished. However the black kids in the school that my boys were attending before we pulled them out had no problem calling them "whitey" or "cracker".

If there was indeed a white social privilege (please note the spelling) this would also work against the children of Indian, Pakistani or Chinese immigrants, wouldn't it ? Funny how many of them manage to end up in best colleges.

Or is it really anybody-but-me privilege ? Then perhaps it's time to look inwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies