Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:36 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Several people have disputed this, but I'm sure censusdata is referring to 1Corinthians 14:34

"Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says."

So for those who consider the Bible to be infallible, he is correct; Christianity forbids women from speaking in church. Luckily, most denominations ignore selected parts of the Bible.
They also like to leave out the parts about killing non-virgin brides, disobedient children, children who wont follow the right religion, etc. etc. etc.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:30 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I thought liberals were for the majority, the 99%. Liberals continuously deride Republicans for pandering to the 1%, yet with this latest Donald Trump blitzkrieg, liberals are doing exactly that. Are you guys aware that Muslims constitute only 0.9% of the population in this country? Do you all really think you'll tip the scales by pandering to the 0.9%, many of whom probably agree with Trump?
I hope it has already been pointed out that this is a false equivalency and why.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The issue for Republicans isn't that 1% of the population won't vote for them, it's that the 35% of non Whites now view the GOP as the party of White Racists. Look how much the Hispanic and Asian votes have shifted away in the past 3 presidential elections. Given that the GOP will at very best get 65% of the White vote they can not afford to lose non Whites by 80/20. The problem is the GOP base mostly lives in rural areas that are 99% White so they don't grasp how the nation as a whole is changing demographically. They really think Trump can win because everyone they know supports him. Let's be clear: before the Muslim comments Trump was trashing Hispanics. Don't expect the comments in support of Japanese interment to be overlooked by Asians either.
Even the GOP admits it's the stupid party. Bobby Jindal: GOP needs to 'stop being the stupid party' | TheHill

Old 12-16-2015, 05:16 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let me just repeat that the Crusades were not about driving muslims out of Spain, or France (muslims never conquered France).
I never said that the Crusades were about driving Muslims out of Spain or France.

I said that the Crusades only occurred after 300 years of attacks by Muslims on Christian Europe and the Jewish and Christian Middle East.

The whole "Christians were the aggressors" shtick is a bunch of baloney.

Muslims were and continue to be the aggressors.

Quote:
...you look at the fruit of the church at the time of the Inquisition, it is as rotten as the islamists terrorists, because they were guilty of the exact same crimes.
Uh, dude, that was over 500 years ago.

Update yourself.

Quote:
Nearly half a million Americans (apprx 30K per year) have died on our roads since 911, so maybe your focus is in the wrong place. Keep your eyes on the road.
So you're saying that we can't be concerned BOTH about Islamic terrorism and automobile accidents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
What happens when another Right Wing WHITE CHRISTIAN shoots up a school, church, turns a rental truck into a bomb, etc..??
Name ten right wing white Christians who have done that recently.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:03 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I never said that the Crusades were about driving Muslims out of Spain or France.

I said that the Crusades only occurred after 300 years of attacks by Muslims on Christian Europe and the Jewish and Christian Middle East.
My whole point is that one thing had nothing to do with the other. The Crusaders were not concerned about the muslims in Spain.

Quote:
The whole "Christians were the aggressors" shtick is a bunch of baloney.
I am Christian, and I reject the crimes committed during the inquisition under the name of a loving God. Even the Catholic church admits it, while protestants have always said it. Why do you think the pilgrims came to US? Your stance of justifying inquisition is the same as muslims today who justify the crimes committed by ISIS. Murder is murder, and torture is torture. It was wrong then, and it is wrong today.

Quote:
Uh, dude, that was over 500 years ago.
Yes, we are talking about history.

Quote:
Update yourself.
Would that change the history?

Quote:
So you're saying that we can't be concerned BOTH about Islamic terrorism and automobile accidents?
I am saying you need to put things in perspective and allocate resources accordingly. Pit bulls have killed more people since 9/11 than terrorists. Lighting strikes have killed more people. Terrorism is a concern, and we are allocating huge amounts of resources fighting it, and by looking at the results I'd say it has been a huge success. There is no way anyone can say we are 100% safe from terrorists. How much more are we willing to invest? How much more government intrusion are we willing to tolerate? If you watched the debate last night, you saw same people who demanded we pull the plug on surveillance programs last year, demand those programs back, and give the government access to out social media accounts. People are ok with that today, but a year or two down the road, they will complain there is too much government intrusion and they want the programs removed.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 AM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Finally a voice of reason in the GOP!

Quote:
Sen. Lindsey Graham apologized to the Muslim world for Donald Trump at Tuesday night’s GOP presidential undercard debate and insisted the billionaire doesn’t reflect America’s attitude toward Islam.
“Donald Trump has done the one single thing you cannot do — declare war on Islam itself,” an emotional Graham said at the debate
“…To all of our Muslim friends throughout the world, like the King of Jordan and the President of Egypt, I am sorry. He does not represent us.”

Trump — who was appearing in the later debate for the candidates ranked higher in public polls — came under fire for his proposal to ban all Muslims from coming to the US as a way to stem ISIS terrorists.
Graham (R-SC) spent the four-person second-tier debate insisting he has the aggressive combat troop strategy to defeat ISIS, while almost pleading with GOP counterparts to not start war on the Muslim faith. “Your religion is not the enemy,” Graham said
Lindsey Graham apologizes to Muslims for Donald Trump | New York Post

Old 12-16-2015, 07:21 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber
Nearly half a million Americans (apprx 30K per year) have died on our roads since 911, so maybe your focus is in the wrong place. Keep your eyes on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
While the Republican debaters endlessly pumped up fears, last night, about Islamic terrorism, they didn't spend one second on any other mass killer of Americans -- auto accidents, cancer or heart attacks. Playing to fears is how they hope to garner votes.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:11 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Several people have disputed this, but I'm sure censusdata is referring to 1Corinthians 14:34

"Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says."
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is the point many of us are making, people pick and choose what they want to follow in religion, even those who follow the New Testament, Old Testament, and Koran.
Sigh.

As with many biblical passages, this pertained to a specific situation at the time; not in general.
This is why interpretation of less obvious parts of the bible should be left to biblical scholars or theological experts; not C-D users who are probably not Christian yet think they are the smartest guys in the room on this topic...

Women “Should Remain Silent” - A Study of 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

Conclusion:
Although we cannot answer all questions about the specific situation Paul was addressing in Corinth, we do conclude that he was addressing a specific situation rather than making a general prohibition on women speaking in church. His intent was to prohibit disruptive and disrespectful questions and comments that were part of the chaotic Corinthian meetings—and in Corinth, these particular practices were coming from the women.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
While the Republican debaters endlessly pumped up fears, last night, about Islamic terrorism, they didn't spend one second on any other mass killer of Americans -- auto accidents, cancer or heart attacks. Playing to fears is how they hope to garner votes.
You think the Dems will be different? You must have forgotten about the "war on women" fear-mongering from 2012.
Further, the other topics aren't in the news, thus won't be discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies