U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2015, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Champaign
33 posts, read 98,235 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhno75 View Post
Not everything in the entire universe is reducible to a popularity contest; there are some principles decent people want to adhere to at any hazard to one's popularity, and this is one of them. But fyi, according to the YouGov poll, the "ban Muslims from entering position" is the losing side 49%-39%.
Trump went to far, there are always going to be diplomats, business people, etc with legitimate needs to travel to America. What we don't need are Muslims inviting themselves to come live here. The first amendment was meant to protect some hypothetical "crazy uncle" of George Washington who'd gone off his rocker and picked up the Koran and gone down to the local street corner of Philadelphia 1790 to preach his new faith, it was never meant to flood our population with a hostile culture which has been waging war against us for 1300 years. Every other part of the world is modernizing to the rational, secular culture of the West. The Islamic world on the other hand has this revolutionary undercurrent to revert to a hostile, anti-modern way of life. I approve of the way the Soviets banned religion, sure you're not going to get rid of it, but your going to have a lot less of it, and in this day of age where science has proven religions are simply an artifact of a superstitious time when tyrants forced people to believe these things for political purposes, it's time for religion to be something that isn't approved in polite company.

 
Old 12-11-2015, 07:46 AM
 
10,830 posts, read 3,806,238 times
Reputation: 4696
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_the_OWL View Post
Trump went to far, there are always going to be diplomats, business people, etc with legitimate needs to travel to America....
In his interview with Don Lemon on CNN, Trump made an exception for them.

As with securing the border and illegal immigration, he will fill in the details as time goes on.

These are complicated issues.
 
Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 28,265,302 times
Reputation: 7824
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
No they shouldn't.
Yeah they should, we shouldn't expect those that make the least to pay the most in taxes. Though it seems like some in here like to praise their overlords and fight for their taxes to be lowers even though they make the most.
 
Old 12-11-2015, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 28,265,302 times
Reputation: 7824
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Well said!!!

That's right.

This isn't the first time that Jews have misjudged their enemies.

Well said!!!

Who ever said it was okay?

Didn't he ask people if they were Christian, and if they said yes, he shot them?

Bush did not bully Israel into pulling out of Gaza, so your argument fails.

Well said.

Exactly. They also don't crucify, behead and flog people. They don't execute people for leaving their religion (apostasy) or being homosexual. They don't stone women, or engage in honor killings.

What actions? Just how are white Christian males hurting you or anyone else?

In case you didn't know, people who make more do pay more taxes. That's been true for decades. And who cares how people get rich as long as they do it legally? It's none of your business. If it bothers you, go out there and get rich yourself. Millions of poor immigrants come to this country to do just that.
He asked people what their religion was and shot them, not because they were Christian.

Oh I am a white male, so no white Christian males are hurting me, but I a capable of looking at a much larger picture than just myself.

You are being foolish, those who make more are paying a smaller percentage than those making less. I don't care how someone gets rich, that is why I said not everyone who is rich is hard working.
 
Old 12-11-2015, 08:18 AM
 
756 posts, read 317,330 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah they should, we shouldn't expect those that make the least to pay the most in taxes. Though it seems like some in here like to praise their overlords and fight for their taxes to be lowers even though they make the most.
I'm not in favor of your taxes going up with the more money you make because then there is little incentive to WANT to make more money.
Why would someone take risks, sacrifice and grow a small business into profitable one when they know that the government is going to be taking a large chunk of it?

Why would someone who makes 1,000,000 bother trying to make 2,000,000 if they will only see a fraction of it after taxes?
 
Old 12-11-2015, 09:47 AM
 
260 posts, read 164,594 times
Reputation: 439
I'm a very hardcore conservative and I think Trump is a loose cannon and not fit to run to run the country.

Interesting how we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of a few but yet we can judge all republicans by the actions of one.
 
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 AM
 
7,325 posts, read 3,750,234 times
Reputation: 9073
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.



Rev. Martin Niemöller
 
Old 12-11-2015, 09:57 AM
 
11,759 posts, read 5,207,444 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I thought liberals were for the majority, the 99%. Liberals continuously deride Republicans for pandering to the 1%, yet with this latest Donald Trump blitzkrieg, liberals are doing exactly that. Are you guys aware that Muslims constitute only 0.9% of the population in this country? Do you all really think you'll tip the scales by pandering to the 0.9%, many of whom probably agree with Trump?
I think I've heard a similar argument about the gays, who constitute only about 2-3% of US population. How did that work out for you guys?

Principles, compassion, sense of justice, morality, equality and so on surprisingly resonate with a lot of people, even if they are not a part of the affected group in question. Maybe because it's all in the Bible - just ask Pope Francis which side he is on . . . . oh, I know, I know, you are a better expert on Christianity than Pope Francis.

Mick
 
Old 12-11-2015, 10:00 AM
 
21,426 posts, read 7,142,259 times
Reputation: 7515
The democrats came for the Socialists, and brought them into the fold. I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

The democrats came for the Trade Unionists, and brought them under their wing and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, the Jews went willing and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and only Trump spoke up for me.

PHMA
 
Old 12-11-2015, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 28,265,302 times
Reputation: 7824
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I'm not in favor of your taxes going up with the more money you make because then there is little incentive to WANT to make more money.
Why would someone take risks, sacrifice and grow a small business into profitable one when they know that the government is going to be taking a large chunk of it?

Why would someone who makes 1,000,000 bother trying to make 2,000,000 if they will only see a fraction of it after taxes?
So you wouldn't want to make more and take home more because you would also have to pay more in taxes? That person making a million a year isn't going to turn down making 2 million a year just because their taxes will go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top