Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:03 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,891,225 times

Advertisements

Interesting how many people here, no matter their political bent tend to want about the same sorts of things from our government, which is telling as to how far the government has gone TOO far in it's presumed mandate. Now if more would Demand this the Nation might be able to be salvaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 12:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,265,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Bwahahha.

1961:
17.2% of GDP in revenue to the Fed
2,388,000 government employees out of a population of 183 million

2014:
17.5% of GDP in revenue to the Fed
2,745,000 government employees out of a population of 321 million

100 times smaller eh? What complete nonsense. Heck by employee count per person we are actually MUCH smaller today!

And? We need jobs that pay well. Thats what makes people into tax payers. But with all the growth going to the top we aren't seeing that. Of course you blame the poor, not the people soaking up all the income.....
One out of a hundred people worked for government in 61, today that number is one out of nine.
Bwa haha yourself, that is unsustainable.
Well paying jobs don't grow on trees. What skills do you have that are supposed to have employers pay you a good wage? If you can't get a good wage there is a great chance you are not worth the wage.

You should be hating Democrats I would suggest since they over regulated many out of business or allowed lawsuits or unions to destroy companies. See Detriot and a bwa ha ha back at you.

PS Because of Obamacare I get less care at three times the premium at $9000 a year.
Federal taxes alone are over $35,000 for me and I feel at this point the government is way too much into my wallet. When my pay brings home more to them than me the country has a problem.

We also have the largest corporate taxes, so why has business died or left?
I know, bwa ha ha. Obama Fubar!

Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
One out of a hundred people worked for government in 61, today that number is one out of nine.
Bwa haha yourself, that is unsustainable.
OK lets talk about reality. here are FACTS:
1961 ALL employees government: 8.5 million out of 183 million.
2015 ALL employees government: 21.9 million out of 318 million.

Data source:
https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/USGOVT

Federal employees however:
1961: 2.3 million
2015: 2.7 million

Data source:
https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred.../CES9091000001

So your real problem is with your state government. NOT federal.
Quote:
Well paying jobs don't grow on trees. What skills do you have that are supposed to have employers pay you a good wage? If you can't get a good wage there is a great chance you are not worth the wage.
Im highly skilled, life is good. Getting there however has become increasingly difficult. IE people today do not have the opportunities that I had.

Quote:
You should be hating Democrats I would suggest since they over regulated many out of business or allowed lawsuits or unions to destroy companies. See Detriot and a bwa ha ha back at you.
Please. under regulating has caused similar issues to over regulating. Trying to make it all about "regulating" ignores the reality that unregulated capitalism is a true nightmare. The important topics are specific regulations.

And as a FYI...Republicans regulate just as much as Democrats. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Quote:
PS Because of Obamacare I get less care at three times the premium at $9000 a year.
And? Tons of people got more care. Ahhh got it, its all about you.

Quote:
Federal taxes alone are over $35,000 for me and I feel at this point the government is way too much into my wallet. When my pay brings home more to them than me the country has a problem.
Shrug. your incomes higher then mine (I only paid about 22K last year in fed). But I suspect your take home pay was more then 35K....if not you're doing it wrong because mine certainly was. But both you and I are in that difficult income place. We make just enough that we're ok, but not enough to take real advantage of higher incomes. But we make too much to get any of the benefits of being poor. Sucks huh? If we didnt work we get the benefits, but we're working darned hard now.

Quote:
We also have the largest corporate taxes, so why has business died or left?
I know, bwa ha ha. Obama Fubar!
You should consider the difference between tax rates, and effective tax rates. For example, fun fact. 7 out of the 30 biggest corporations paid their CEO's more then their taxes last year. So while taxes burden smaller companies, larger companies can largely avoid feeling the pain nearly as much.

And...Obama has basically nothing to do with it. Look towards the House and Senate. You know, the people actually responsible for that stuff.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:07 PM

5,298 posts, read 2,341,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
who will you pay? say you got a stroke from taking adulterated medicine because there is no one to control pharma, or rotten meat because there is no FDA. who will you go to?
Society would be different in a lot of ways, so I can't say specifically who...but there would likely be much better research and investigation into service providers, maybe along the lines of the Better Business Bureau or other agencies interested in the integrity and quality of products and services.

So I'd do my research first, and then I'd make my choice. I could decide to risk it and go with an unknown/uninvestigated place, and its possible that the risk hurts me. What happens then is I (or friends and family)report my experience to others so they can decide to avoid the place, or whatever they decide is best for them.

I also imagine that honest businesses would allow inspections of some sort to prove that they're safe, and the ones who didn't go along with it would be looked at suspiciously.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:02 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Society would be different in a lot of ways, so I can't say specifically who...but there would likely be much better research and investigation into service providers, maybe along the lines of the Better Business Bureau or other agencies interested in the integrity and quality of products and services.

So I'd do my research first, and then I'd make my choice. I could decide to risk it and go with an unknown/uninvestigated place, and its possible that the risk hurts me. What happens then is I (or friends and family)report my experience to others so they can decide to avoid the place, or whatever they decide is best for them.

I also imagine that honest businesses would allow inspections of some sort to prove that they're safe, and the ones who didn't go along with it would be looked at suspiciously.
Just need to add (and you knew I would ) that under a true free market contracts between voluntary parties could also decide how far they want to go in pressuring businesses/others into terms that suit personal needs.

Absent force of course.

So if Meat Company X agrees to a set of inspections and fails a round then they may be subject to penalties in the contract that are not permissible in today's statist society.

The best part of this paradigm is each individual gets to negotiate what is important to them when dealing with outside parties...and no intervention from an involuntary state.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:17 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Unbelievable.

How about the government leaves us alone and stops stealing our money to give to leeches.
That'll do for for starters.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:20 PM

9,871 posts, read 7,629,561 times
Fix the tax system

Offer free public higher education

Eliminate the electoral college

Anyone who stops working after 65 will only have to pay property and sales taxes

Create a extra tax on cigarettes, alcohol, beer, liquor, and marijuana (If legal.)

Develop a job corps and utilize goverment corps to provide service's to area's in need of help

Create a flat corporation tax rate

Legalize marijuana

Legalize gay marriage and abortions

Eliminate state income tax and eliminate taxation on groceries/health related services

End homelessness by building transitional housing/camp's for them to live, be safe, have food, treat health/substance/mental health issue's, and train for job's while building places for them to live

Improve education in the US and eliminate Common Core. Have a education that can be ranked with other nation's

Improve infrastructure in the US

Work towards eliminating poverty that everyone has food on their table

Fix the income gap

Create more job's in America and encourage the trade of US goods

Eliminate the US debt in 5 year's

Improve healthcare, make healthcare affordable, and cost of healthcare in the US

Improve mental health/substance care...give more money to mental health/substance care

Give more money to the VA and improve care to the VA

Make English the official language in the United States

Eliminate Affirmative Action

Eliminate Welfare

Eliminate Medicaid

Give more money to Medicare

Tax everyone for Social Security

Give more money to law enforcement to encourage more community policing

Prison reform with vocational training and job placement when they leave

More money for science research, NASA, and renewable energy

Money to protect environmental land's in the US

Eliminate Affirmative Action and only protected class is Native Americans

That's all I can think of what I want from the goverment.

Last edited by RunD1987; 12-10-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-10-2015, 04:27 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,316,684 times
I want the government to be fair to all the hard working people in America, I want them to return the money they have stolen from social security, i want them to stop raising the age of retirement, I just want the working people to get what they have paid for. No more hand outs to able bodied people who could be working, work for welfare programs and don't hand out benefits to people who are here illegally. And much more.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:29 PM

5,298 posts, read 2,341,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Just need to add (and you knew I would ) that under a true free market contracts between voluntary parties could also decide how far they want to go in pressuring businesses/others into terms that suit personal needs.

Absent force of course.

So if Meat Company X agrees to a set of inspections and fails a round then they may be subject to penalties in the contract that are not permissible in today's statist society.

The best part of this paradigm is each individual gets to negotiate what is important to them when dealing with outside parties...and no intervention from an involuntary state.
Yes, definitely.

Any solution that doesn't violate anybody's self-ownership would work, and that's a very wide range...most of which we probably could never predict. I wish I could move forward in time to see what people come up with in a free society, which I think will inevitably exist at some point.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,825,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
We seem to lose focus on why we elect certain people into office. We argue about some seriously stupid things they do or say.
But, the overall governments job is well written, sort of.
What do you want the government to provide for you?

I don't want the FEDERAL government to PROVIDE anything for ME. I want the federal government to oversee national security and interstate commerce and leave everything else to the states, per the 10th Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies