Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:05 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
We seem to lose focus on why we elect certain people into office. We argue about some seriously stupid things they do or say.
But, the overall governments job is well written, sort of.
What do you want the government to provide for you?
" What do you want the Government to do for you?"

Therein lies the problem.

Too many want the gov't to do things for them instead of doing for THEMSELVES.

JFK said, "Ask NOT what your country can do for you but, what YOU can do for your country".

I only want the gov't to do what is spelled out in the Constitution.

It is the gov't responsibility to set a framework so WE can do for ourselves under protection of the gov't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 08:30 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Nothing

Old 12-10-2015, 08:46 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Unbelievable.

How about the government leaves us alone and stops stealing our money to give to leeches.
So lets cut taxes and fees to zero and fire the air traffic controllers, meat inspectors, etc. When you get in a commercial aircraft, you can now wonder whether it was maintained properly or whether your will get hit by another jet. When you go to the supermarket, it's up to you to determine whether the food is safe.

This really can't be argued rationally when one side believes that people have a right to keep what they earn, and that taxing them to support others or support common good services, no matter how meritorious, amounts to a tyrannical impositions on their liberty.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:17 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
What do I want the Government to do for me (and all Americans)?
- Stay Out Of Our Lives.
- Reward those who work for a living
- Reduce taxes for EVERYONE
- Get rid of waste in government
- Make government work more efficiently
- Preserve our freedoms
- Listen to the American people

Old 12-10-2015, 09:21 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Sheesh didn't people go to school?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:00 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So lets cut taxes and fees to zero and fire the air traffic controllers, meat inspectors, etc. When you get in a commercial aircraft, you can now wonder whether it was maintained properly or whether your will get hit by another jet. When you go to the supermarket, it's up to you to determine whether the food is safe.

This really can't be argued rationally when one side believes that people have a right to keep what they earn, and that taxing them to support others or support common good services, no matter how meritorious, amounts to a tyrannical impositions on their liberty.
When one side believes that is true? I don't see how you can argue that it isn't true. Something that belongs to you is taken by force, regardless of consent, and used in ways that you may or may not approve of (usually NOT, in many people's cases). That is theft in any situation, and one can't excuse it based on the fact that we use a different word to make it sound like something different. It's logically the same thing, so claimimg that it isn't theft is what is irrational. You can make a case that the theft is justified, but it's still theft.

Your first paragraph assumes that those things can't be accomplished peacefully or voluntarily. If the government doesn't do it, the demand is still there for those services. I prefer to choose between competing organizations that can't control me by force, rather than a monopoly that imposes its services and pricing on me and doesn't allow competitors. Ironic because people want the government to protect against monopolies, right?

Most importantly, it's about respecting others. I know that I don't want others to be able to force their opinions on me, therefore I don't want to do that to others. It's the golden rule...do unto others as you'd have done unto you...love your neighbor as yourself.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:05 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
US Citizens, What do you want the Government to do for you?

Stop acting as if the Constitution mandates we police the world.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:06 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
The government needs to have much less power....
Give power back to the state....
They need to conscentrate on a strong military which makes a very strong nation
They need to stop giving money away to people who refuse to work for a living...
Government needs to become much more vigulant in obeying our laws...
they need to provide our police with military equipment...we live in a new world that calls for such
They need to stop spending our money like it's water and stop interferring in school education

Old 12-10-2015, 10:16 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
I am the government.

So what do I want? I want representatives that look out for the best interests of the people they represent while at the same time leaving the people to control their own destinies. I want to provide the means to defend ourselves. I want representatives who understand that they must use the funds sent to them in a responsible manner. I understand that federal laws need to be in place for the different states to coexist. These laws need to be reasonable and not restrict anyone's freedom in pursuing their own objectives.

There's more, but that's the basics.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Keep sending me my pension check as well as some compensation for being doused with Agent Orange, the gift that keeps on giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies