Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:37 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So lets cut taxes and fees to zero and fire the air traffic controllers, meat inspectors, etc. When you get in a commercial aircraft, you can now wonder whether it was maintained properly or whether your will get hit by another jet. When you go to the supermarket, it's up to you to determine whether the food is safe.

This really can't be argued rationally when one side believes that people have a right to keep what they earn, and that taxing them to support others or support common good services, no matter how meritorious, amounts to a tyrannical impositions on their liberty.
Al Gore wanted to privatize Air Traffic Control like Canada does. Canada's Private ATC Wins Award | Downsizing the Federal Government

I could see where food safety could fall under General Welfare, but most government bureaucracies should be dismantled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 05:40 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
We seem to lose focus on why we elect certain people into office. We argue about some seriously stupid things they do or say.
But, the overall governments job is well written, sort of.
What do you want the government to provide for you?
Fix the damn infrastructure!

Old 12-10-2015, 05:50 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I want the government to be fair to all the hard working people in America, I want them to return the money they have stolen from social security, i want them to stop raising the age of retirement, I just want the working people to get what they have paid for. No more hand outs to able bodied people who could be working, work for welfare programs and don't hand out benefits to people who are here illegally. And much more.
There's a good analogy for this that I heard...

There's a large group of people pulling a big cart, but a couple of them have legitimate disabilities (old, sick, injured, etc) and everyone decides to let them jump in the cart. Then a couple others are let in temporarily, and one guy gets an idea...he goes around saying "if you give me a little something, I can get you a spot in the cart". So the cart keeps getting more and more full until the honest people with integrity are fed up. "We're done pulling the cart. This is ridiculous" and the cart grinds to a halt.

Politicians offer up "spots in the cart" to win elections, but it's at the expense of those who would never take without contributing. Eventually, the burden brings down the whole country and economy, and causes resentment between the people.. But hey, the politicians get what they want.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:51 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Well I posted this this morning. I didnt get any notifications. Anyways, I want the Government to keep us safe via the military etc, and maintain a few things such as infrastructure, water, roads, bridges etc etc. Other than that, stay out of my life. I have supported this country via military , and private sector for over 30 years and continue too..
Some interesting takes on what people want and need.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:31 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
We seem to lose focus on why we elect certain people into office. We argue about some seriously stupid things they do or say.

Security, including securing our borders, limiting immigration to those we need and denying those that could pose a threat to our security or economy whether they be immigrants or refugees and putting American citizens first in every way.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 PM

37 posts, read 53,653 times
Oh boy - this is going to be a long list:

1. Health care in the USA
- Allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices with pharmaceuticals like all other countries in the world. This is a big reason why health care cost are so high in the USA. I thought we were a free market capitalist country?
- Ban direct to consumer drug advertising. This leads to big pharma taking advantage of citizens and selling drugs that are not primarily in their best interest over doctor recommendations and driving up healthcare costs with billions (yes, billions) spent on marketing and advertising over R&D.
- Allow the free market to open up internationally when it comes to importing drugs. We import everything else into the US, why not cheaper drugs?
- Initiate a multi-tier national universal health care program for all citizens, and also leaving private insurance options open.

2. Mandated Minimum Paid time Off for all workers (at least 10 day yearly, in addition to national holidays).
3. Mandated Paid Maternity Leave for women in the workforce (2-3 months).
4. Marijuana Legalization.
5. Elimination of for-profit private prisons.
6. Increase the Minimum Wage ($11-12 an hour)
7. More of the country's annual GDP (at least 4-5%) concentrated on the nation's infrastructure (Repaving and repairing roads, highways, bridges, investment in consumer transport - trains in cities, bullet high speed rail).
8. Congress working to cap spending in the budget in places that are in red and need reform
-Cut the defense budget. It is too high.
-Reform the US Post Office as it costs the US billions annually in the red.
-Eliminate the US penny. It cost more to produce it than its worth.
9. Simplify the tax code for individuals and corporations to a reasonable rate, but also stripping any loopholes for tax avoidance and future inversions.
10. Social Security Reform
- Remove the salary cap on taxable income for SS in order to keep solvent for all citizens.
- Increase retirement age to 67
11. Cut subsidies on sugar and high fructose corn syrup for corporations to produce as it is too cheap to make and they put too much in our food. There is a severe obesity epidemic in this country.
12. Address mental health on a nation level by opening new mental health institutions that were so supposed to replace the closing of asylums back in 1960's to address the mentally ill instead of throwing them in prison with dangerous criminals.
13. Immigration Reform - Eliminate family reunification and move to a quota point system. We do not need any more immigrants in the nation unless they have a specialty skill and capping the H1B visas.
14. Better trade and tax deals that benefit Americans that don't make it easy for corporations to export jobs to other regions of the world for cheap labor where currency manipulation is prevalent.
15. Allow referendum on statehood for US territories that want to join the US (ex. PR, US. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, etc.)
16. Grant statehood rights to Washington, D.C. residents.
17. More government money spent towards technology, science and research (i.e. NASA).
18. Reform public schools - Common Core needs to be eliminated.
19. Remove money out of politics where Congress cannot accept funds from lobbyists or interest groups. They and can only accept funds from the government and people. So when they don't get a budget deal done, they don't get paid.
20. Allow full disclosure on GMO labeling on all foods for consumers to know and have the choice to consume or not.
21. Eliminate the electoral college. The POTUS should be voted in office based on the majority of votes in the country. This would have prevented what occurred in 2000 and US would've most likely been on a much brighter path 15 years going in as opposed to now --- if you know what I mean.
22. Eliminate gerrymandering.

Damn...I love this country but we have MAJOR issues.

Last edited by TM56; 12-11-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 02:30 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
What I want the federal government to do for me is well spelled out in the constitution. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Unbelievable.

How about the government leaves us alone and stops stealing our money to give to leeches.
Amen.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:40 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Keep the Muslim horde out of the country and send the ones here packing, get our troops out of all the countries where they are located that are not the USA, balance the budget and pay down the debt, and last but not least, get that Muslim traitor out of the White House.
Quote:
Ensure that the highway system is fully maintained
Ensure the safety and security of the Nation and it's People
Tax All Americans fairly
Pay out on the promises of SS
Maintain and ensure the National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries
Ensure that No Persons or Business Destroys the environment through pollutions being dumping to the environment.
Stay out of my and everyone else's personal lives
Pretty much this. LGBT rights guaranteed by law. Other than that, clean up its crap and leave us alone.

Quote:
1. Health care in the USA
- Allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices with pharmaceuticals like all other countries in the world. This is a big reason why health care cost are so high in the USA. I thought we were a free market capitalist country?
- Ban direct to consumer drug advertising. This leads to big pharma taking advantage of citizens and selling drugs that are not primary in their best interest of citizens instead of doctor recommendations and driving up healthcare costs with billions (yes, billions) spent on marketing and advertising over R&D.
- Allow the market to open on the international level on import of drugs. We import everything else outside the US, why not cheaper drugs?
- Initiate a multi-tier national universal health care program for all citizens, and also leaving private insurance options open.

Encourage competition so they HAVE to keep prices low.

2. Mandated Minimum Paid time Off for all workers (at least 10 day yearly, in addition to national holidays)
3. Mandated Paid Maternity Leave for women in the workforce (2-3 months)

Paid leave for either gender, to include transgender and nontraditional families.

4. Marijuana Legalization
5. Elimination of for-profit private prisons.
6. Increase the Minimum Wage ($11-12 an hour)
$10 per hour. And set caps to standards of living based on quality, with a free housing option, if you are willing to stay at a dive hotel
7. More of the country's annual GDP (at least 4-5%) concentrated on the nation's infrastructure (Repaving and repairing roads, highways, bridges, investment in consumer transport - trains in cities, bullet high speed rail)
8. Congress working to cap spending in the budget in places that are in red and need reform
- Cut defense budget. It is too high.
Especially when it is used on overseas missions, and not, you know defense of state. We could solve most problems with bombing, spies, or defensive troops
-Reform the US Post Office that is cost the US billions annually.
-Eliminate the US penny. It cost more to produce it then its worth.
Remove the dime and nickel too. The monetary system could Make a $1000, $million, and $billion bill. Make cash not credit economy, and remove debt and borrowing. Keep the check card too, but no more monthly credit.
9. Simplify the tax code for individuals and corporations to a reasonable amount, but also stripping any loopholes for tax avoidance and future inversions
YES.
10. Social Security Reform
- Remove the salary cap on taxable income for SS in order to keep solvent for all citizens.
- Increase retirement age to 67
11. Cut subsides on sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup for corporations as it is too cheap and they put too much in our food. There is a severe obesity epidemic in the country.
Strongly agree.
12. Address mental health on a nation level by opening new mental health institutions that were so supposed to replace the closing of asylums back in 1960's to address the mentally ill instead of throwing them in prison with dangerous criminals.
And stop making ex-psych patients homeless. Reintroduce to society somehow
13. Immigration Reform - Eliminate family reunification and move to a quote point system. We do not need any more immigrants in the nation unless they have a specialty skill and capping the H1B visas.
Remove the thing allowing children to become citizens by being born on this land. Both parents must be naturalized, or the child goes to the original country.
14. Better trade and tax deals that benefit Americans that don't make it easy for corporations to export jobs to other regions of the world for cheap labor and currency manipulation.
15. Allow referendum on statehood for US territories that want to join the US (ex. PR, US. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, etc.)
16 .Grant statehood rights to Washington, D.C. residents.
17. More government money spent towards technology, science and research (i.e. NASA)\
Especially money towards making factories cleaner, and the government less reliant on foreign oil and gas, and producing natural power
18. Reform public schools - Common Core needs to be eliminated.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 12-11-2015 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 02:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
The minimum basics like defense (federal), maintain the freeways (state), and keep the streetlights on (local). I have everything else covered and don't need "the government" hovering over me like an overbearing uncle.

[thanks for visiting!]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies