Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 06:01 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times

Advertisements

We seem to lose focus on why we elect certain people into office. We argue about some seriously stupid things they do or say.
But, the overall governments job is well written, sort of.
What do you want the government to provide for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:03 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
If I want something "done for me", I'll either find a way to get it by my own efforts, or do without.

The proper role of the modern nation-state and its local components is to defend us from known threats, both natural and interpersonal, and to provide an impartial mechanism for the resolution of disputes between citizens; that is all. Most of the rest, such as education, additional security, or personal insurance and income protection, can be made available from the private sector, and infrastructural needs, such as transportation, can be financed via a schedule of user charges.

And I'm willing to concede, at this point, that there remains a modest component of our population who, through age, infirmity, irrationality, or whatever, cannot be expected to care for itself. These unfortunates have always been among us, and we have always found a way to provide the basics; but for every individual who finds him/herself caught in one of these snares, there is at least one who resents the limited options and choices to which his/her limited skills and/or negative attitude has restricted them, and will do whatever they can to escape the consequences of their stupidity.

And these slackers and parasites are the prime clientele of the bureaucratic empire-builder who has access to the state's power to tax, coerce, and reward his/her followers and sycophants at taxpayer expense. Since the functionary's "reward" is dependent upon finding and defining a bigger "problem" -- and a bigger staff and budget to "address" it, rather than allowing the workings of the market to provide discipline, the "problem" is never solved; the obvious answer is to return the resolution of individual cases to local administration, where the known abusive few can be identified, excluded, and penalized, but I can guarantee you that the professional bureaucrats will fight any effort in this direction.

That about sums it up; Which side are you on?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-10-2015 at 06:59 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 06:04 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
We seem to lose focus on why we elect certain people into office. We argue about some seriously stupid things they do or say.
Unbelievable.

How about the government leaves us alone and stops stealing our money to give to leeches.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:12 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Paves the roads
Keeps the street lights on
Provides a kick ass military

Old 12-10-2015, 06:13 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
It shouldn't do anything for, or to, me because I never asked it to in the first place. If I want someone to do something for me I'll offer to pay for those services.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:20 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,107,774 times
There is a difference between want and need.

Idiots have been put in office based on peoples wants.

What the government needs to do is to take care of America and Americans first.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:22 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Ensure that the highway system is fully maintained
Ensure the safety and security of the Nation and it's People
Tax All Americans fairly
Pay out on the promises of SS
Maintain and ensure the National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries
Ensure that No Persons or Business Destroys the environment through pollutions being dumping to the environment.
Stay out of my and everyone else's personal lives

Think that pretty much sums up what I expect from them.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:29 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Provide for national defense.

Provide guidelines/standards for everything else.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:56 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
As small as possible for a great quality of life.

History has shown the private sector as a whole will never voluntarily treat the environment right, pay fair wages, or treat their workers fair. I support basic laws such as 40 hour work week, environmental guidelines, minimum wage, etc. Break up monopolies now and then

National defense is only well done by the feds. But there are major issues with that dept being the Dept of Offensive and doing too much meddling on foreign soil that is not needed for Defense of the Homeland

Govt should do roads and some other infrastructure

Old 12-10-2015, 07:03 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Keep the Muslim horde out of the country and send the ones here packing, get our troops out of all the countries where they are located that are not the USA, balance the budget and pay down the debt, and last but not least, get that Muslim traitor out of the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies