Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:53 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Obamacare Is Now on Life Support

The promises...
The only solution for these ills was a massive government intervention, complete with mandates for all participants in the market, including providers, insurers, and consumers. Once government ran this market, Democrats promised, consumers would see their premiums decrease (by $2500 a year, according to Barack Obama), insurers would gain access to vast numbers of new consumers who couldn’t get insurance before, and the lifting of cost burdens would spark a job-creation surge that would lift the economy.

Such were the promises of ObamaCare five years ago.

The reality...
Still, as bad as the news has been over the past five years, the remaining illusions were shattered by the CBO and the White House itself this week. Obamacare didn’t make much of a dent in the uninsured rate, it has forced costs to rise faster than before, and it will kill millions of jobs that otherwise would be created.

“The labor force is projected to be about 2 million full-time-equivalent workers smaller in 2025 under the ACA than it would have been otherwise,” the CBO concludes in the latest analysis of Obamacare’s impact on the economy. Much of the reason – the CBO puts it at 75 percent -- comes from the net increase of effective tax rates on labor, which will incentivize potential workers to stay out of the work force. Democrats claim that this is a feature rather than a bug as people can choose not to work. However, even with that rose-colored glasses view, it means that the rest of the taxpayers will have to subsidize the health care of those who opt out, whether happily or unhappily.

If the Republicans were smart - which I question for the most part - they would get some people on the ground, real experts, to come up with a plan and have it ready to roll.

If it were me - I would look to remove government from the process altogether and seek to reduce the operating costs of physicians and hospitals, so hopefully the savings can be passed on to the consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 11:56 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
I thought liberals were all about abortion.

They did not allow this abortion known as ACA to be aborted.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:02 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Fun fact, in the last 20 years the uninsured has never been under 10%, it hovered around 15%. Today? about 9%....and falling.

But I agree, lets get rid of it and replace it with a single payer system like every developed country in the world does.....except us.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:21 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Fun fact, in the last 20 years the uninsured has never been under 10%, it hovered around 15%. Today? about 9%....and falling.

But I agree, lets get rid of it and replace it with a single payer system like every developed country in the world does.....except us.
Agreed. I vote Repub but think they are on the wrong side of this.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

President Trump will and he will force Congress and the Senate to also do so by fireside chats with the voters who will be set to vote opposition bums out.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:40 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:

My family's Health Insurance Premium has gone from $550 per month 2 years ago to $1280 per month (next year). It's a bigger number than my mortgage.

Have had -0- claims in two years (so I received NO benefit from it) and I have a kid starting college next year. I truly don't give a rat if the uninsured in the US is at 9% or 15%. And Insurance doesn't cure/fix/help people, doctors and nurses do.

Anyone who proposes to get my annual insurance bill down from 15K per year to back under 7K (or is willing to abolish the Health Insurance industry and/or Obamacare altogether) will get my vote.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:48 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
I agree with the premise of the OP. If the Repubs and I assume some Dems also, want to dump Obama Care then they must have some system in place that takes over in some way or form so that those either on Obama Care, forced onto it or voluntarily, have a way to get affordable healthcare coverage for themselves and their families. I believe that it is a mandatory move before anyone can kill the current program, otherwise they would be doing more harm than good and I would remind everyone an action that hurts Millions can come back to haunt you in the next elections.
Do something about Healthcare for the American People, something affordable and that works and add real tax reform and whichever Party does it will hold power for the next 20 years.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:53 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
My family's Health Insurance Premium has gone from $550 per month 2 years ago to $1280 per month (next year). It's a bigger number than my mortgage.

Have had -0- claims in two years (so I received NO benefit from it) and I have a kid starting college next year. I truly don't give a rat if the uninsured in the US is at 9% or 15%. And Insurance doesn't cure/fix/help people, doctors and nurses do.

Anyone who proposes to get my annual insurance bill down from 15K per year to back under 7K (or is willing to abolish the Health Insurance industry and/or Obamacare altogether) will get my vote.
Good news, countries with socialized medicine pay half of what we do for health care, with comparable results.

do you imagine any Republican suggesting such a plan?

Old 12-10-2015, 01:09 PM

409 posts, read 258,576 times
Quote:
Good news, countries with socialized medicine pay half of what we do for health care, with comparable results.

do you imagine any Republican suggesting such a plan?
We already have socialized medicine in the US, its called the VA, and its a national embarrassment.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:12 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Well, you obviously thought wrong, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies