Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:54 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm not talking about businesses.

They limit the number one can purchase as they are often resold. The kiosks in the malls, for example, sell them at a huge profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 08:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Anyone individual who buys that many burner phones is probably up to something. Especially if they paid for them entirely in cash.
Bulk purchase/ overseas shipments of smart phones are quite common.

Mexico is a common destination.

Some retailers put a limit on the number of phones that can be acquired in a single purchase. So the purchases are rung up as separate sales.

Cell phones have been used to trigger bombs for 15+/- years.

Should government require background checks to buy a phone?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:10 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Some retailers put a limit on the number of phones that can be acquired in a single purchase. So the purchases are rung up as separate sales.

Yes, maybe they should when someone buys 60 of them. Who the heck knows anymore...

Old 12-10-2015, 10:30 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Mass purchases of phones have been confirmed at least at 4 Walmarts in Missouri. One employee at another store found 100 empty phone boxes in the store's dumpster.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:03 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
My mom recently sent me to Walmart to purchase cell phones that can be used in Germany. I tried to purchase 3 cellphones but was only allowed to purchase 2.

But clearly Walmart's anti-terrorism precautions are not 100% effective. 2 hours before I tried to purchase those 3 phones I had already purchased 2 phones (I was able to purchase 4 cell phones within 2 hours using 2 separate trips to Walmart.)
Great. Now you're on a watch list.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:59 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Hmmmmm, reminds me after 9/11 when I was told by my dive boss that the authorities were checking out dive shops. Because of attention like that, it was one of the reasons (there were others)we were highly encouraged to have CHLs (for Texas). One background check doesn't cover all, of course, but if such questions come up from someone, the boss could say that all his employees had been checked.

A and B

A: Just because it might be the worst case, doesn't necessarily mean it is the worse case.

B: It's a paranoid world and it might be of value not to fall into the fallacy of "Because I am not a threat, no one will take me as a threat".

Old 12-11-2015, 03:18 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:

Been watching this story grow. First it was just "men" buying the phones in Columbia and Lebanon. Then it was "middle eastern" men. Then, in a story I saw last night it was "Afghani" men. Really? How many American folks can strictly identify men from Afghanistan? I have lived in mid-MO, grew up in Texas and live here (TX) now. It's not uncommon here for people to purchase lots of cellphones for the black market. Also for criminal activity, not related to terrorism.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:15 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Been watching this story grow. First it was just "men" buying the phones in Columbia and Lebanon. Then it was "middle eastern" men. Then, in a story I saw last night it was "Afghani" men. Really? How many American folks can strictly identify men from Afghanistan? I have lived in mid-MO, grew up in Texas and live here (TX) now. It's not uncommon here for people to purchase lots of cellphones for the black market. Also for criminal activity, not related to terrorism.
The FBI interrogated two of them.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:18 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,134,844 times
Quote:

Not to buy *a* phone. But 60 anonymous burner phones?? Unless they're indeed a reseller or working for one, this is obviously pretty sketch.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:30 AM

1,110 posts, read 671,809 times
Interesting how this is preceded by theft of propane tanks .

There's obviously not enough information available to the public that would indicate a connection. Just another one of those things that make you go 'hmmmm'...

The thwarted Times Square IED detonation attempt included propane tanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies