Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:01 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,395,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Canada "get's it right"...

Nice boring, overused cliché phrasing of the Left. If you have an opinion, at least have enough originality to express it without echoing internet derived mimetic language..

Tell me, what's "right" about allowing refugees to resettle across an ocean when there are five or more perfectly safe countries within driving distance of Syria, and who are benefiting from the conflict in various ways, in which they could take refuge? There is nothing "right" about this. There are only those who gain politically.
What is it with you people and your left/right nonsense? You seem incapable of having any discussion at all without reducing it to only two quadrants you deem worthy of mention. Most of us left that silliness behind when we no longer had to parrot the rhyme we used to tie our shoelaces.

Canada gets it right because:

Refugees who've been living in camps, for years in some cases, have little say in which country SHOULD open it's borders to them. You imply they are in control of their choices and destiny.

"What's right" is verified refugees are being accepted by a nation following it's principles of foundation.

What's wrong is a nation professing:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

has now shown to be using just another "nice boring, overused cliché derived mimetic language".

Congrats; you're getting it wrong as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:33 PM

56,954 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Many Christians in the states that threatened to deny refugees have taken issue with shutting down immigration. This is not a right/left issue except for the governors and GOP that threatened to reject Syrian refugees, cooler heads will prevail that this is the humane approach,

Old 12-14-2015, 01:15 AM

33,501 posts, read 37,016,233 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4muGwXuYsbY

Old 12-14-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Many Christians in the states that threatened to deny refugees have taken issue with shutting down immigration. This is not a right/left issue except for the governors and GOP that threatened to reject Syrian refugees, cooler heads will prevail that this is the humane approach,
Most non-Americans on here already know this to be the case. We know that of late, the polarization of the political spectrum to two disparate and ideologically "frozen" stumps in the ground, incapable of agreeing on anything at all unless a negative foreign perception, is just a passing phase.

These boards reflect only the most strident of the bellicose and not the majority. We know this.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:03 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,968,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Most non-Americans on here already know this to be the case. We know that of late, the polarization of the political spectrum to two disparate and ideologically "frozen" stumps in the ground, incapable of agreeing on anything at all unless a negative foreign perception, is just a passing phase.

These boards reflect only the most strident of the bellicose and not the majority. We know this.
Being that I live near the Manitoba border... I often find the IQ falls the lower the latitude

Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 AM

39,008 posts, read 27,392,311 times
well, Harry Truman once said,

“When we have these fits of hysteria, we are like the person who has a fit of nerves in public. When he recovers he is very much ashamed, and so are we as a nation when sanity returns.”

– Harry Truman, writing about our nation’s shameful behavior during the Red Scare of the 1950s

This being said, how about a compassionate yet cautious approach to the refugee crisis. After all, there are some key differences between today's refugees and yesterday's refugees.

Generosity must be leavened with realism and common sense. In today’s world that means there can be no open door to the world’s problems, including refugees fleeing Syria.
It is hard to say no. But it would be dangerous to say yes.

Like I posted earlier, I can see both sides of the arguments and both sides can be pretty extreme. I don't have all the answers, but I think compassionate yet cautious approach to the refugees seem to be an acceptable solution.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, Harry Truman once said,

“When we have these fits of hysteria, we are like the person who has a fit of nerves in public. When he recovers he is very much ashamed, and so are we as a nation when sanity returns.”

– Harry Truman, writing about our nation’s shameful behavior during the Red Scare of the 1950s

This being said, how about a compassionate yet cautious approach to the refugee crisis. After all, there are some key differences between today's refugees and yesterday's refugees.

Generosity must be leavened with realism and common sense. In today’s world that means there can be no open door to the world’s problems, including refugees fleeing Syria.
It is hard to say no. But it would be dangerous to say yes.

Like I posted earlier, I can see both sides of the arguments and both sides can be pretty extreme. I don't have all the answers, but I think compassionate yet cautious approach to the refugees seem to be an acceptable solution.
A reasonable post that reflects exactly the Canadian policy of using as much caution as is practical to determine who should be allowed entry.

Would that America had shown as much fear induced caution over the 12 million illegals allowed entry, given driver's licenses etc., who have killed over 65,000 of your citizens over the years.

Ted Kennedy's Illegals Have Killed Many More Americans Than ISIS

Illegal Alien Crime and Violence by the Numbers: We

Old 12-14-2015, 07:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,885,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Too late..Trumpet has already suggest that wall way back late summer..LOL

Above 3 poster's have succumbed to the rhetoric..and know nothing about the system...Those Syrian refugee's arriving this week have already been in camps in Jordan and other campsites for years..and background checks done..So ..Just maybe look at what these refugee's have endured?? I doubt any of you above (3) would ever bother getting educated about the religion much less what these innocents has endured for years!! So with that..I call you out for narrow-mindedness..and drinking mis-information and thus empowering your religious bigotry!!
Good luck! Its been reported that one of the shooting suspects passed the Department of Homeland Security’s “counterterrorism screening as part of her vetting” for a visa.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:45 AM

56,954 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Good luck! Its been reported that one of the shooting suspects passed the Department of Homeland Security’s “counterterrorism screening as part of her vetting” for a visa.
She was from Pakistan and was cleared in a few months under the Visa Program, I doubt they review social media as part of theri screening efforts. The refugees are in the pipeline for years, quite different.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:51 PM

7,667 posts, read 5,450,985 times
This article in The New Yorker made me laugh:

To Those Fleeing President Trump: Welcome to Canada! - The New Yorker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies