Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should implementation of National Health Insurance be put to a national vote?
Yes 15 44.12%
No 18 52.94%
Not sure 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

The issue of implementing a National Health Insurance program is very controversial.

Since the implications are so dramatic, shouldn't the American people have a direct say in the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 AM

I would have thought more people would have been interested in this poll -

Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Only you tristansmommy and i care (lmao)

Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
I voted no, I believe that is why we elect representatives. I don't support the referendum process for any national issues.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:22 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Can’t trust our representatives to do what the people what the voters want and need. More Americans are not covered with medical insurance or go without medical care then those who do. We are one of the lowest rated industrialized countries with health care coverage.

Representatives do little or nothing for their voters, they’re too busy with their hands out or in the pockets of the lobbyists.

There is entirely too much administrative costs in medical and hospital care, and they spend more time on paperwork dealing with insurance companies then they do with those who are sick.

If we can’t figure out what we’re doing wrong in medical care then we need to figure out what other countries are doing right.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Thumbs up Excellent Post .. WELL SAID!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Can’t trust our representatives to do what the people what the voters want and need. More Americans are not covered with medical insurance or go without medical care then those who do. We are one of the lowest rated industrialized countries with health care coverage.

Representatives do little or nothing for their voters, they’re too busy with their hands out or in the pockets of the lobbyists.

There is entirely too much administrative costs in medical and hospital care, and they spend more time on paperwork dealing with insurance companies then they do with those who are sick.

If we can’t figure out what we’re doing wrong in medical care then we need to figure out what other countries are doing right.
Thank you. that is VERY WELL PUT!! I second that!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Watch out Great Day.. you may find that your "plan" would not fly for many Americans .. so I'm all for putting it to the people.. there are more struggling working class families than the wealthy.. we have more numbers..they just have more dollars to buy politicians.. Going directly to the people with facts for arguments on BOTH SIDES.. showing them how it truly works and benefits people (NOt FEAR Propoganda .. but FACTS and EXAMPLES of what is working for others in a health care system rated BETTER than ours.. the most powerful country in the WORLD) would get us the UHI we need.. I strongly believe that.

I don't trust the representatives who are in the pockets of many to make those decisions for us! Look where it's gotten us so far!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I voted no, I believe that is why we elect representatives. I don't support the referendum process for any national issues.
You vote on school bonds don't you, you have elected representives there too...Why can't you vote for national issues also ?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
You vote on school bonds don't you, you have elected representives there too...Why can't you vote for national issues also ?
The Constitution doesn't have provisions for a binding resolution to an issue through direct democracy. Your local government isn't bound by the Constitution like the federal government is.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Let me pose this question:

Should any mandatory health insurance plan be kept at the state level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies