Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Could you explain that? It's authoritarian collectivism that's the fundamental problem, not right or left.

There is certainly a lot of truth to this statement. Lots of statists on both sides of the aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Well, well, look at what we have here. Social media admitting that they CAN find and delete what they want. So tell me again why they let the terror recruitment and communications go on un impeded.
Would really like to hear their explanation for this.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:48 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,619,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Americans are being silenced over and over by the PC Nazis.
It's starting to become dangerous as the neighbors that didn't want to report the muslim terrorists in CA for fear they'd be called racists.
We're venturing closer and closer to the arrival of thought police. "Speech codes" on college campuses are subtle ways of reducing your freedom of speech. Speaking engagements of those with different ideas are often cancelled or boycotted, and safe spaces are set up so college students can color and smash play-doh because they were triggered (they're taught what they're supposed to be offended by.)

Now we're in the era of "if you see something, say something*"

*unless what you see is perpetrated by someone with darker skin than you. It could have saved lives in San Bernadino. It backfired on those who did the right thing by reporting the student who brought the fake bomb to school.

Today, 40% of millennials (and also Democrats over Republicans by a ratio of 2:1) believe the government should have the power to ban free speech that's deemed offensive to minorities. The fact that so many people are so afraid of someone else's right to say something they don't like so they think the government should censor it should be terrifying to everyone.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:58 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Would really like to hear their explanation for this.
me too. It's a very serious question.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:04 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
It's disgusting that we, as a society, are reverting to censoring speech in an effort to protect ourselves. The FBI would be better served by invading our privacy and using those communications to find all of the terrorists, instead of simply having Facebook, Inc. delete the posts.

Not that I support that either. But censorship just doesn't work- deleting the post on the internet doesn't delete the thought from the minds of the terrorists.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:12 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Well, well, look at what we have here. Social media admitting that they CAN find and delete what they want. So tell me again why they let the terror recruitment and communications go on un impeded.
Wake up people, the ruling class is against we the people. They are ON THE SIDE of terrorism.
You think it is the responsibility for social media to monitor terror groups and if they don't, they are on the side of terrorism? I believe we have the FBI or Homeland Security monitoring this stuff. I'm pretty sure they don't want to delete it so they can track these criminals. There is a difference between a racist calling Obama a monkey and terrorists planning an attack.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:12 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
We're venturing closer and closer to the arrival of thought police. "Speech codes" on college campuses are subtle ways of reducing your freedom of speech. Speaking engagements of those with different ideas are often cancelled or boycotted, and safe spaces are set up so college students can color and smash play-doh because they were triggered (they're taught what they're supposed to be offended by.)

Now we're in the era of "if you see something, say something*"

*unless what you see is perpetrated by someone with darker skin than you. It could have saved lives in San Bernadino. It backfired on those who did the right thing by reporting the student who brought the fake bomb to school.

Today, 40% of millennials (and also Democrats over Republicans by a ratio of 2:1) believe the government should have the power to ban free speech that's deemed offensive to minorities. The fact that so many people are so afraid of someone else's right to say something they don't like so they think the government should censor it should be terrifying to everyone.
That's one area (Free Speech) that I don't think I can compromise on....criminalizing long standing free speech will make me leave the country.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
You think it is the responsibility for social media to monitor terror groups and if they don't, they are on the side of terrorism? I believe we have the FBI or Homeland Security monitoring this stuff. I'm pretty sure they don't want to delete it so they can track these criminals. There is a difference between a racist calling Obama a monkey and terrorists planning an attack.
This makes zero sense. So you think it's perfectly ok to find and delete/report Obama being called a monkey but leave the terrorist communications and recruiting alone? IT IS their responsibility, it's THEIR platform. If you ran a business that did this you'd be arrested and shut down even if it was your employees doing it and you did nothing to stop it. No different for the social media sites. Why do you people on the Left fight so hard to try and make it harder to stop this crap? Why????? There is ONLY ONE reason, you support it. BTW, they aren't tracking ****. FB isn't looking and they surely aren't reporting a damn thing. But oh my god, call an illegal an illegal or a refugee a terrorist and they will report you in a heart beat.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:18 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Trump is more facist than anything else.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Trump is more facist than anything else.
You have no idea what Fascist even is if that's what you think. The Democrat party as a whole is a ton more Fascist than Trump ever will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies