Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 08:57 AM

692 posts, read 953,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Technically BS!! allah IS NOT the God that Christians and Jews worship!!!!
Allah is certainly the God that Jews worship. Now Christians...that's another story.

Especially when you consider that Christians believe in the Trinity, which Jews and Muslims reject.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:01 AM

692 posts, read 953,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The OT is not a part of Christianity it was laws and life of the Jews. If one would read it and get past the parts they think are of a hateful God, they would see what even the Jews/Christians have accepted.

No, the God of Christianity and the God of Islam are not the same. First of all, the God of Christianity is a Trinity where the God of Islam is not. For Christianity and Islam to be equal, they would have to say the same things.

Many say that Christianity and Islam are the same, this fact separates the two. Muslims deny the deity of Christ and the fact that He was the Son of God.
Islam is a monotheistic religion that is centered upon the god Allah and “his prophet” Mohammed. Islam believes that Ishmael is the promised son and not Isaac. It says that it is the completion of the truth found in the Torah and Bible with the Quran being the final say. It believes that Mohammed is the final prophet and the “seal of the prophets”. It believes that the Torah and the Bible have both been corrupted over time.

The denying of Christ by Islam completely erases any hope of salvation for mankind. It was through Adam that sin’s consequences were brought to bear on man and without the hope that comes from the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, there is no way for a man to be restored to God. Jesus said in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the father but by me.” Without this Way, there can be no path to the Father. To deny Christ is to leave man without the only thing that can save him from an eternity separated from God.

The denying of Christ as the Messiah and the only hope for man is something that is foundational to Islam and required by all of its believers.
If belief in the trinity is necessary to believe in the same God, then Jews and Christians don't believe in the same God either. In fact, Jews called for the execution of Jesus and continue to reject the notion of Jesus as the Messiah to this day. So explain that one away...

I find it hilarious that Christians from the US will claim that Muslims don't believe in the same God as them even though Christians in the Middle East (who have been Christian literally since Christ walked this Earth) never make such a nonsensical assertion.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,610,676 times
The phrase was a poor choice, given the paranoid hysteria that plagues some parents and people in general. Writing a sentence does not convert anyone or indoctrinate them--it's just copying shapes. I think calligraphy is lovely and agree with teaching kids about multiculturalism. I'd rather the kids copy something beautiful and serious, not "Everybody loves the new sriracha Doritos" in Arabic, but surely the teacher could have found a more innocuous statement.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,470,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I think most religions "worship" the same God. How their scriptures are interpreted is what creates disparity.
In God We Trust. Our lands were developed under Christian principles and should stay that way.

While I agree that more ORGANIZED religions are they same this nation is no WAY based on one set of religious standards.

If the U.S. was founded on the Christian religion, the Constitution would clearly say so--but it does not. Nowhere does the Constitution say: "The United States is a Christian Nation", or anything even close to that. In fact, the words "Jesus Christ, Christianity, Bible, Creator, Divine, and God" are never mentioned in the Constitution-- not even once. Nowhere in the Constitution is religion mentioned, except in exclusionary terms. When the Founders wrote the nation's Constitution, they specified that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." (Article 6, section 3) This provision was radical in its day-- giving equal citizenship to believers and non-believers alike.

Our Founding Fathers Were NOT Christians

Old 12-21-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
If belief in the trinity is necessary to believe in the same God, then Jews and Christians don't believe in the same God either. In fact, Jews called for the execution of Jesus and continue to reject the notion of Jesus as the Messiah to this day. So explain that one away...
They don't believe in the same God. Christians adopted the Jewish faith & built their religion on top of it.

Below is a list of why the Jewish people don't believe in Jesus.

Why Don't Jews Believe In Jesus | The difference between Judaism and Christianity

1. Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.
  2. Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.
  3. Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:52 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,014,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The phrase was a poor choice, given the paranoid hysteria that plagues some parents and people in general. Writing a sentence does not convert anyone or indoctrinate them--it's just copying shapes. I think calligraphy is lovely and agree with teaching kids about multiculturalism. I'd rather the kids copy something beautiful and serious, not "Everybody loves the new sriracha Doritos" in Arabic, but surely the teacher could have found a more innocuous statement.
While the teacher could have found other Arabic phrases, it would not have been representative of what is actually found in Islamic Nations and all the Arab Nations are Islamic. In those nations all calligraphy will have something related to Islam.

For example the national flag of Saudi Arabia is the Shahada.

Written in MSA (Modern Standard Arabic)

A calligraphic form often used as a wall decoration is:

Old 12-21-2015, 11:16 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,914,049 times
no religion should be taught in public schools

period

I don't want my kids exposed to islam, especially at school
I send them to catholic school

Old 12-21-2015, 11:21 AM

50,426 posts, read 23,999,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The key to understanding the relationship between the Christian and the Law is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to reveal to the Israelites how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments, for example). Some of the laws were to show the Israelites how to worship God and atone for sin (the sacrificial system). Some of the laws were intended to make the Israelites distinct from other nations (the food and clothing rules). None of the Old Testament law is binding on Christians today. When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law.
I'm not sure I agree. In all too many churches, OT readings are a regular part of the service.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure I agree. In all too many churches, OT readings are a regular part of the service.

All churches do this but only Christians are allowed to read from it. If you quote a scripture from the OT they are very quick to dismiss it.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:46 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,781,187 times
Default Abba

Originally Posted by southwest88
Sure it is. Jesus was Jewish, most of the Apostles were Jewish. Jesus went into the Temple, talked about the Scriptures (the OT), quotes from the Scriptures, debated theological issues with the priests. Jesus' manner of reasoning is Jewish. Jesus - TMK - set out to create a religious movement within Judaism. It was only after Judaism largely refused to go along that Jesus & the Apostles turn to the gentiles. & 200 years later, more or less, the distinctions between Judaism & the new movement are sufficient to call it Christianity. But the family markers are still there.

& if the OT is not important to Christianity, why do Bibles include it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That was answered in 140 AD concerning the Marcion heresy (which was the first consideration of an established "canon" of scripture. Essentially, the Church at that time elected to keep it for its historical value.
Yah. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Te..._Old_Testament

"Christian theology and the Old Testament[edit]

"Main article: Christian views on the Old Covenant

"Christianity is based on the claim that the historical Jesus is also the Christ, as in the Confession of Peter. This claim is in turn based on Jewish understandings of the meaning of the Hebrew term messiah, which, like the Greek "Christ", means "anointed". In the Hebrew Scriptures it describes a king anointed with oil on his accession to the throne: he becomes "The LORD's anointed" or Yahweh's Anointed. By the time of Jesus, some Jews expected that a flesh and blood descendant of David (the "Son of David") would come to establish a real Jewish kingdom in Jerusalem, instead of the Roman province.44

"Others stressed the Son of Man, a distinctly other-worldly figure who would appear as a judge at the end of time; and some harmonised the two by expecting a this-worldly messianic kingdom which would last for a set period and be followed by the other-worldly age or World to Come. Some thought the Messiah was already present, but unrecognised due to Israel's sins; some thought that the Messiah would be announced by a fore-runner, probably Elijah (as promised by the prophet Malachi, whose book now ends the Old Testament and precedes Mark's account of John the Baptist). None predicted a Messiah who suffers and dies for the sins of all the people.[44] The story of Jesus' death therefore involved a profound shift in meaning from the tradition of the Old Testament.[45]"

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

As I thought - if you delete the OT, the figure of Jesus is simply left floating in the air. Without the background of Judaism, the Christian view of Jesus either isn't possible, or is incomprehensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies