Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:31 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
El Nox, I am pretty sure other islamic nations have had female presidents. Indonesia is an example of one that I already know and If I look it up, I am sure I can find more.
I cannot, nor will I argue with you ... haven't looked it up. But I refer you back to the list previously mentioned. It is possible that I overlooked someone, but I did try to be careful. Maybe you can enlighten me.

El Nox

Old 01-03-2016, 10:56 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Women in the majority of Islamic nations have considerable rights. Equal to if not more than the non-Muslim nations. Every Islamic Nation has had at least one female leader, when was the last time we had a female president?

13 Muslim countries produce more women science graduates than US – UNESCO

There is an ingrained value in every Muslim, man and woman alike, to pursue knowledge and to learn about God’s truth by studying the surrounding world. Prophet Mohammad (saws), advised his followers to seek knowledge wherever it can be found. In keeping with this value, Muslim women are continuing to make headway in the field of science and their graduation ratios often exceed those of western women in pursuing scientific degrees according to figures recently released by UNESCO{click for report}.

13 Muslim countries produce more women science graduates than US – UNESCO – NewsRescue.com
I have one issue here.......historians are not claiming this, but everything Islam is. They have even tried to claim, Newton and Einstein converted to Islam. Why did they need to go there, if they had valid proof of Islam and scientist? Newton was very well known to be of Christian faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well this is a geography class, not a social studies class.
This is from the article......maybe it was a geography teacher teaching social studies.

The lesson of the day focused on world religions, among them Islam. As part of the assignment, social studies teacher Cheryl LaPorte had her ninth-grade students copy a piece of Arabic text known as the shahada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM0414 View Post
Keep in mind people, there's only one GOD given different names and worshiped differently. No religion is higher than the other. They're all the same.
I once thought this might be true.......but as Woodrow pointed out Islam does not believe in God the Father and God producing His Son to die on the Cross for all of humanity. If Islam doesn't believe in the Heavenly Father as Jews and Christians do, where is the connection?

Old 01-03-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I cannot, nor will I argue with you ... haven't looked it up. But I refer you back to the list previously mentioned. It is possible that I overlooked someone, but I did try to be careful. Maybe you can enlighten me.

El Nox
Women and Politics
These women have been successful in subverting the boundaries of gender and in operating in a very aggressive male-dominated sphere. Could other women learn from this example? The problem here is, of course, precisely that these women are an elite. The class from which most of these women come is perhaps the most important factor in their successful inclusion into the political system.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I have one issue here.......historians are not claiming this, but everything Islam is. They have even tried to claim, Newton and Einstein converted to Islam. Why did they need to go there, if they had valid proof of Islam and scientist? Newton was very well known to be of Christian faith.
This is from the article......maybe it was a geography teacher teaching social studies.

The lesson of the day focused on world religions, among them Islam. As part of the assignment, social studies teacher Cheryl LaPorte had her ninth-grade students copy a piece of Arabic text known as the shahada.

I once thought this might be true.......but as Woodrow pointed out Islam does not believe in God the Father and God producing His Son to die on the Cross for all of humanity. If Islam doesn't believe in the Heavenly Father as Jews and Christians do, where is the connection?
Neither do the other 2 Arahamic faiths ( Jews and Sabeeans) believe Jesus(a.s.) is the "Son of God) or that God would produce a Son. Jews and Sabeeans (Baptizers that follow the Teachings of John the Baptist) are not trinitarian. For that matter there are many Christians that are not Trinitarian.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,820 times
Quote:
Women and Politics
These women have been successful in subverting the boundaries of gender and in operating in a very aggressive male-dominated sphere. Could other women learn from this example? The problem here is, of course, precisely that these women are an elite. The class from which most of these women come is perhaps the most important factor in their successful inclusion into the political system.
Yes. I read the article. But what Woodrow was talking about is Islamic nations. Until 1947 when India and Pakistan were separated, one could claim that up to then India was Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, et al (which it still is today) but after the partition the majority of the Islamics wound up in Pakistan.

I understand your point (also the point of the article) about the female elitists ... in India. But even that does not equate to the females in the US. Woodrow's point was that we didn't have a female POTUS with the inference that a multitude of Islamic countries did have female heads of state. I understand his desire to defend Islam to the hilt, but my first impression of reading his post that it was a subtle endorsement of a female POTUS candidate (take your pick).

My position is that I am in favor of females having an equal role in leadership positions. I also think that trying to use examples from the seventh century onward (post Mohammed) is a weak point especially considering that exceedingly few were really in a position to really call the shots on anything.

El Nox

Old 01-04-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Neither do the other 2 Arahamic faiths ( Jews and Sabeeans) believe Jesus(a.s.) is the "Son of God) or that God would produce a Son. Jews and Sabeeans (Baptizers that follow the Teachings of John the Baptist) are not trinitarian. For that matter there are many Christians that are not Trinitarian.
Okay lets leave Jesus out of it for one moment......Judaism and Christians have one connection they do believe in God of Heaven, they both believe in the Heavenly Father.......Islam does not believe in a Heavenly father. Mary was only a vessel for bringing Jesus to earth. On the day the skies went dark and Jesus cried from the Cross, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" Who was Jesus crying out to?

I understand that Judaism doesn't not accept Jesus, but they do believe in the Father of Heaven, faith begins there, not with Abraham. Let me also be clear, many Christian sects are not considered true Christians, it takes believing in the Son of God to call yourself a true Christian.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:18 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Okay lets leave Jesus out of it for one moment......Judaism and Christians have one connection they do believe in God of Heaven, they both believe in the Heavenly Father.......Islam does not believe in a Heavenly father. Mary was only a vessel for bringing Jesus to earth. On the day the skies went dark and Jesus cried from the Cross, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" Who was Jesus crying out to?

I understand that Judaism doesn't not accept Jesus, but they do believe in the Father of Heaven, faith begins there, not with Abraham. Let me also be clear, many Christian sects are not considered true Christians, it takes believing in the Son of God to call yourself a true Christian.
Like the Jews we believe in the one heavenly God and like the Jews we do not believe he is the "Heavenly Father" Both Jews, and Muslims acknowledge we worship the same God(swt). Most Christians also worship the same God

Some Christians seem to have created a God that has different attributes from what Jews, Sabeeans, Most Christians and Muslims believe.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Like the Jews we believe in the one heavenly God and like the Jews we do not believe he is the "Heavenly Father" Both Jews, and Muslims acknowledge we worship the same God(swt). Most Christians also worship the same God

Some Christians seem to have created a God that has different attributes from what Jews, Sabeeans, Most Christians and Muslims believe.
Because they believe in the 'Murcan Jeebus.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:20 AM

50,819 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

I wasn't aware that it was 3~Shepherds who was decider on who is and isn't a Christian.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Because they believe in the 'Murcan Jeebus.
Hey this Jesus is far from the one we are shown, I actually like this one better...... Most of us have and do realize the Jesus the Catholic Church has presented is most likely not what Jesus looked like.

Thanks Woodrow for the discussion.....I do believe we will just continue asking each other questions and never getting further than our own beliefs, this is fine! This is exactly why no religion should claim in public schools who they believe God is or isn't. If you and I can't come to some reasoning why should we expect our kids. Public schools are way to confusing learning the stuff kids need to survive in the real world. Lets leave religion to the people who teach it, not our public school teachers.

As I have researched "calligraphy" seems it's connection with Islam is very religious based. As this below explains........

Islamic Calligraphy
Like many things in the Islamic world, calligraphy is used chiefly for religious purposes. The reason for this is, mainly, that it is written in there holy book, the Koran that calligraphy is the word of God. Because of this, the most common phrases written in calligraphy are; "in sha' Allah" as God wills, "ma sha' Allah" and "hamah li-Allah" God will be praised.

It is a tradition of pious Muslims to copy the entire Qur'an, which is over twice the size of the Christian Bible, in calligraphy. At the time of the Prophet, calligraphy was a square formal type which is now called Kufic. Soon, however, it became necessary to have a quicker, more flowing cursive style, which we now call Nashki. There are many different forms and styles of calligraphy that developed after that. A few of them are; Deewani, Farsi, Kufic, Naskh, Req'aa, and Thuluth. The original style, Kufic, is the one used most often in copying the Koran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies