Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 09:23 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProf View Post
Well, fiddle-dee-dee, I must've just lost my head for a moment!

I suppose you could say it's because I'm a pro-gun control liberal. Or, you can say whatever the hell you want.

Maybe I posted it because if trained LE have trouble with gun safety, then maybe I wonder just how safe the untrained are?
Or maybe you wanted to prove how little you actually know about the subject, like most pro gun control liberals. Most people who go to the trouble to get a carry permit are BETTER trained than law enforcement and practice shooting far more often. Most law enforcement have minimal firearm training. Most criminals practice more than law enforcement - you didn't know that either, did you?

Bad News: Some criminals may have more firearms training than you | Second Call Defense

There are at least 350,000,000 firearms in the US, at least 100,000,000 gun owners and roughly 500 accidental deaths from firearms. 0.000005 / gun owner and you're worried about how safe gun owners are? Either you have an agenda to push or you're ignorant about the real statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Oh yeah. The old West was a reeaally polite society.

What you would have is a lot of innocent dead people and our prisons would totally overflow.
I remember this basic argument being made when concealed carry was passed in my state. The anti gun crowd cried about how there would be shoot outs in the street because of it. Fact is, it never happened. People who have a CHL (CCW in some states) are very rarely involved in any shooting and when they are, it is extremely rare when the shooting isn't justified. Once again. Go look at the stats. Of coarse making a decision on irrational emotion is much more fun isn't it...

Old 12-27-2015, 10:35 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:

What you would have is a lot of innocent dead people and our prisons would totally overflow.
in other words you are buying into the hollywood myth that the old west was a dangerous place where gunfights happened all the time. but the reality is that the old west was not accurately depicted in hollywood movies, far from it in fact.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:41 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:

Actually, buy and large the old West was a pretty safe place for the average citizen. In fact, it was much safer than modern American cities.

The Culture of Violence in the American West: Myth versus Reality: The Independent Review: The Independent Institute

Historians disagree on all the reasons, but there is no question that guns were ubiquitous and yet people were able to live together peacefully.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:16 PM

17 posts, read 7,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon View Post
or maybe you wanted to prove how little you actually know about the subject, like most pro gun control liberals. Most people who go to the trouble to get a carry permit are better trained than law enforcement and practice shooting far more often. Most law enforcement have minimal firearm training. Most criminals practice more than law enforcement - you didn't know that either, did you?

bad news: Some criminals may have more firearms training than you | second call defense

there are at least 350,000,000 firearms in the us, at least 100,000,000 gun owners and roughly 500 accidental deaths from firearms. 0.000005 / gun owner and you're worried about how safe gun owners are? Either you have an agenda to push or you're ignorant about the real statistics.
lol

Old 12-27-2015, 01:29 PM

17 posts, read 7,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Here is a news flash for you.. Most LE doesn't have much in the way of training. They go to the range once a year to qualify and that's it. Their training before becoming LE is pretty limited too. Most private citizens are better trained than LE.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the lack of weapons training for LE, especially when we're seeing more and more cop-involved shootings. Accidental or otherwise!

Old 12-27-2015, 02:50 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Yes, it was. As opposed to the Hollywood version, the real old West was fairly tame when it came to interactions between adult males. There were outlaws, of course, but overall the old West wasn't really any more violent than today. The myth of gunfights at high noon were brought about by dime novels and early cinema, and perpetuated with bad television and spaghetti westerns. There were a few gunfights, such as the OK Corral - which has never been accurately portrayed in movies - and the Northfield raid in which the James-Younger gang was run out of town by armed citizens when they attempted to rob the town bank (defensive use of firearms, imagine that), but overall there is little evidence for actual gunfights on a regular basis.

Quote:
Yeah, because that prediction hasn't been made before... Every time a state starts leaning toward looser concealed carry laws, the antigunners predict chaos and mayhem as a result. People will start having gunfights, start shooting innocents randomly, etc. In reality, as concealed carry restrictions have been loosened, firearms related crime has gone down. We are at historic lows for firearms related crime, and violent crime in general has also declined sharply. If concealed carry were actually going to cause more crime, we'd be seeing those rates go up, not down.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
How many assault rifles did Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols use? How about the shooters at Columbine? Madmen do what madmen do. They kill people. They don't need any firearm at all. There are so many means to kill a large group of people readily available, you couldn't ban them all. A dandy gas and or a bomb can be made from what is under the typical American kitchen sink. The statistics show that rifles cause fewer deaths in this country than any other firearm. The stats are so low that the FBI doesn't even divide them into hunting rifles and so called assault rifles. The argument that the so called "assault rifle" needs to be banned has no basis in fact but only in emotion. If you want to ban something that would truly be effective, ban single parent households. Ban kids spending hours playing video games. Promote physical activity once again in schools. Promote teens getting a job during high school. (A job for a teen isn't about them making money)

Rifles account for a little over 400 gun related deaths per year.
Handguns account for a little over 8000 gun deaths per year.
They the government wants to ban the rifle....

Why the rifle you ask?

Because the rifle, is more dangerous to governments power grabbing, than any handgun.
Handguns are the peoples problem.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:44 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Rifles account for a little over 400 gun related deaths per year.
Handguns account for a little over 8000 gun deaths per year.
They the government wants to ban the rifle....

Why the rifle you ask?

Because the rifle, is more dangerous to governments power grabbing, than any handgun.
Handguns are the peoples problem.

Spot on.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProf View Post
Well, fiddle-dee-dee, I must've just lost my head for a moment!

I suppose you could say it's because I'm a pro-gun control liberal. Or, you can say whatever the hell you want.

Maybe I posted it because if trained LE have trouble with gun safety, then maybe I wonder just how safe the untrained are?

How about if you can prove you have handled a firearm since you were 5yo?
Would that qualify as trained?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies