Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:05 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,590,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
"On Capitol Hill this week, just hours before they jet away for the holidays, the GOP-led Congress is going on a $680 billion spending spree — none of which will be paid for by budget cuts or other tax offsets. And all of which will be added to the national debt, according to budget watchdogs."

Congress' spending binge: $700 billion in unpaid tax cuts - POLITICO

Lots of goodies in this bill, with absolutely no offsets--something they have demanded of the president and the Democrats at every turn. And the GOP continues the laughable pretense that they care about the debt.
This is what happens with big government.

If you want responsible government, you need a much smaller government.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,351,603 times
This was not horse trading. The Republicans put a lot of effort into getting the spending they wanted. And they are trying to say "But we had to because....Obama!"

No. The Republicans control this. If they really wanted to demonstrate that, they would have passed something and dared Obama to veto it and cause a shutdown. Instead? The focused on tax breaks for the rich, and spending more.

The tax break extensions alone were 680 billion.

Want a fun quote? From a Democrat:
Quote:
“I don’t think any of us are going to know what’s truly in it by the time it comes up [for a vote] Friday,” Rep. James P. McGovern, Massachusetts Democrat, chided his colleagues. He said those on both sides of the aisle are going to have to cast votes based on the statements of their leaders — putting them all in a tricky position.
Source:
Budget deal increases federal deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars - Washington Times

Sound familiar? This is the Republicans "We have to pass it to see whats in it" moment.

No worries though, it does do some damage to the ACA as well by delaying some of the taxes that help pay for it.

Its fiscal insanity. And some of the stuff thats been tacked onto the bill are things that would have issues passing normally. The CISA spy act? Slipped in.

Congress puts CISA in budget bill - Tech Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Please. If you want responsible government then elect responsible people. The Republicans own this one. So much for "pay for what you spend". Apparently it only applies when Democrats are running things.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:26 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Oh, please. This bill is chock full of tax cut goodies the Republicans wanted. The only thing they "compromised" on was their own rule that any new spending has to be offset by cuts somewhere else. Funny how that didn't even enter into this massive spending spree because the GOP was getting things they wanted.

But they continue to pretend that they're concerned about the debt, even while adding to it massively with nary an offset in sight. And you continue to believe them.
wind and solar [tax credits]

when did tax cuts become spending? btw...tax cuts/credits dont COST anything

you cut the taxes a little, and revenue increases

so EXTENDING and adding tax cuts to the poor and middleclass is now called a spending spree??

Old 12-17-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. If you want responsible government then elect responsible people. The Republicans own this one.
Only if Obama vetoes it; otherwise, it's a big government problem.

Quote:
So much for "pay for what you spend". Apparently it only applies when Democrats are running things.
Once again, you are wrong. It's a problem when both sides are running it - hence a big government problem.

If you want to debate this, I'd be more than happy to show you how both parties waste tax money on all sorts of things including supporting big business.

Is it your contention the Democrats aren't doing any of this?

Old 12-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wind and solar [tax credits]

when did tax cuts become spending? btw...tax cuts/credits dont COST anything

you cut the taxes a little, and revenue increases

so EXTENDING and adding tax cuts to the poor and middleclass is now called a spending spree??
Yes the poor and middle class were the targets of these tax cuts. uh huh. Excuse me while I laugh harder.

And the spending spree is the combination of tax cuts, and massive spending increases. You do know they increased actual spending...right?

Old 12-17-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Only if Obama vetoes it; otherwise, it's a big government problem.

Once again, you are wrong. It's a problem when both sides are running it - hence a big government problem.

If you want to debate this, I'd be more than happy to show you how both parties waste tax money on all sorts of things including supporting big business.

Is it your contention the Democrats aren't doing any of this?
Its my contention that the Republicans have the majority. Are you denying that suddenly?

And I bring this up because so many here keep going on with the Republicans will fix things nonsense.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Its my contention that the Republicans have the majority. Are you denying that suddenly?

And I bring this up because so many here keep going on with the Republicans will fix things nonsense.
It's my contention that no matter which party is in charge, we continue to spend more money.

Please show me where I've ever said anything like "the Republicans will fix things".

Show me, but we all know you can't.

The only cheerleader here is you as you pretend it's a Republican issue while I maintain it's both sides.

"Raw, raw rhee, my party is for me, raw, raw ras your party can suck my...."

Keep cheering for your party as we swirl down the toilet.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:36 AM

7,487 posts, read 5,741,875 times
This makes me absolutely furious! I have never seen anything remotely close to the complete lack of will to protect the middle class blue collar worker.

Funding deal hits backlash over increase in foreign worker visas | TheHill

Old 12-17-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
It's my contention that no matter which party is in charge, we continue to spend more money.

Please show me where I've ever said anything like "the Republicans will fix things".

Show me, but we all know you can't.

The only cheerleader here is you as you pretend it's a Republican issue while I maintain it's both sides.

"Raw, raw rhee, my party is for me, raw, raw ras your party can suck my...."

Keep cheering for your party as we swirl down the toilet.
Funny...its not all about you here you know? I dont have to show you where YOU said anything, just read here. many of your fellow conservatives say this.

I agree its both sides, but when the Republicans have the majority, they also bear the majority (but not all) of the responsibility.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,151,656 times
Quote:

Isn't that what Republicans are always claiming they are for each election?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.