Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 11:43 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
before they learn how inappropriate it is?

Out of ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the words in the Arabic language, this brilliant teacher chose to have kids practice calligraphy using the phrase: "there is no god but allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah".... a phrase in which converts are forced to repeat with a sword to their throats.

Just un-freaking believable

District cancels school over Islamic lesson - Fox 5 NY | WNYW

and for those who say "Allah means God". No, it doesn't. Maybe it does to Muslims, but no Jew or Christian believes that. No one but Muslims believe in Mohammed or that he was God's last prophet.
This teacher made a mistake and I feel bad for her. She should have known better. Let's leave the poor woman alone now, sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:48 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What do Christians call God in countries where Arabic is the primary language?
I am actually finding many Christians in the Middle East and other countries also recognize Muhammad as god, along with Jesus. Matter of fact they believe Jesus will join hands with Muhammad and bring peace and Islam to all.

I believe the Bible speaks about serving 2 Gods, possibly this is the reason Christians in the ME are losing the battle with Islam.

I am certainly open to anyone proving me wrong. These are the Christians Huckabee and others want to bring to America and claim they are followers of Jesus alone.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:49 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
This teacher made a mistake and I feel bad for her. She should have known better. Let's leave the poor woman alone now, sheesh.
Do we even know who she is? If this was a Christian women her face would be every where.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:55 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default The Devil's in the details

Quote:
I didn't think the teacher was trying to convert the kids, but you're not allowed to say Merry Christmas in many schools now, or the pledge! but having kids write there is no god and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah is A OK??

imagine if the assignment was for them to write JESUS SAVES.
You can't say Merry Christmas in many schools now? Seriously? Which schools are those, if you don't mind saying. There's a lot of discussion about this in talking about the commercialization of Christmas, but has it filtered down to the schools too? & as for the pledge! - I assume you're talking about the Pledge of Allegiance. Same question - Which schools have banned reciting the pledge? TMK, reciting the pledge is required in most K-12 public schools in the US. I'm always curious about the outliers.

You've got the quote wrong, it's not there is no god, it's There is no god but Allah, & so on. & anyway, TMK, the students didn't know what they were trying to copy. Without knowing the content, nor being able to read the script they were copying, the statement of faith has no effect.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:59 AM

Default Pitchforks & torches

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Not OK to make students copy out any religious verse. The teacher made a mistake.
Yah, I would have chosen a secular text, myself.

But it's not clear that the teacher had a choice - the VA DOE vetted the material, as I understand it, & the materials falls within the academic guidelines & standards, per the local school board. If the DOE approved the textbook & curricular materials, & the local school board approved the choice of textbook & materials, then the teacher may not have had much choice on the worksheets to use. That's an interesting question in & of itself - did she have any choice in the matter? If not, then all this barking is up the wrong tree.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
They teach caligraphy but not hand writing in school these days?? This is intentional no doubt. Let me know when the assignment includes "Jesus Christ Is Lord".. Is the aclu involved yet? Are the athiests up in arms? Only Christ invokes the hatred of these groups it seems. Who's brilliant idea was it to begin with?

Old 12-18-2015, 12:12 PM

Default Fire in the hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. The teacher should be reprimanded, perhaps with warning.
Well, that would certainly throw gasoline on the fire. Yah, explosive combustion will put out a fire - @ the cost of destroying everything nearby that's flammable. Kinda like Red Adair used to put out oilrig fires - by dynamite.

If the teacher used supplementary curricular materials that were developed by a team of teachers - & I assume that the teachers used the VA DOE academic standards for the appropriate grade & subject - then those supplemental materials were likely reviewed & approved by VA DOE. It's a question worth asking, but VA DOE thus far is standing behind the worksheet, & so is the local school board.

There's lots of turmoil in the schools anyway these days - but this particular one doesn't seem to be contributing to any larger understanding of Islam, nor social studies.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
I didn't think the teacher was trying to convert the kids, but you're not allowed to say Merry Christmas in many schools now, or the pledge! but having kids write there is no god and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah is A OK??

imagine if the assignment was for them to write JESUS SAVES.
Hypocrisy at its finest..wouldn't you say ?

Turn that into writing passages from the Bible and they'd be calling for the teacher's head.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
The unhelpful idiots jump all over threads like this with the old: Can't say Merry Christmas. Can't say the Pledge of Allegiance. But apparently they CAN lie through their teeth to score their personal points on an anonymous internet forum.

I don't know squat about this incident besides a brief overview of this thread. Is it a case of using a workbook without actually knowing/caring what the workbook said? Because that's the American way. Sure, the teacher and school should be vetting this kind of stuff better so let's work on that.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 PM

13 posts, read 11,324 times
Quote:
before they learn how inappropriate it is?

Out of ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the words in the Arabic language, this brilliant teacher chose to have kids practice calligraphy using the phrase: "there is no god but allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah".... a phrase in which converts are forced to repeat with a sword to their throats.

Just un-freaking believable

District cancels school over Islamic lesson - Fox 5 NY | WNYW

and for those who say "Allah means God". No, it doesn't. Maybe it does to Muslims, but no Jew or Christian believes that. No one but Muslims believe in Mohammed or that he was God's last prophet.
You're wrong.

However, the teacher was also wrong. Not bad enough of a mistake to be fired over it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies