Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:12 AM

291 posts, read 390,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So I have learned I need to register my drones with the FAA because people do not comprehend risks.

Literally you are more likely to have your plane hit by a turtle then a drone. in fact someone recently showed the data:
Airplanes Hit More Turtles Than Drones | Popular Science

If a drone were to strike a plane, it is far less dangerous then many birds, AND its illegal to fly over 400 feet within 5 miles of an airport.

When will we require people to register their turtles that are far more likely to impact a plane?

On a side note...why so many turtle impacts? do they wander around on the runway?

A friend of mine brought his drone over last month. It was outrageous and a lot of fun. With that said, drones absolutely have to be registered. On top of that, all operators should have to take a course and become licensed.

In ten years, you will see multiple drones every day in the sky. They will be used for deliveries, other forms of transportation, photography and video, commercial uses and hobby.

My friend had his drone up to 1200 feet. You couldn't even see it anymore. It is not if a drone hits a plane, it is when.

Operators need to learn about arial rules of the road, no-fly zones, etc. It will absolutely necessitate licensing, and, yes, drones should be registered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 11:22 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Perhaps if people didn't point their lasers up in the air (distracting pilots), flying drones onto the WH premises, et cetera, there may not have been a need to register your drone. Who knows?

Old 12-25-2015, 11:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
What about the fact that drones forced fire-fighting planes to land recently?
Criminals are going to be criminals. They probably won't register their drones no matter what the law says. I don't see your point.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:35 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Criminals are going to be criminals. They probably won't register their drones no matter what the law says. I don't see your point.
If one takes out an airplane due to stupidity, they hope to trace it back to the owner.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
A friend of mine brought his drone over last month. It was outrageous and a lot of fun. With that said, drones absolutely have to be registered. On top of that, all operators should have to take a course and become licensed.

In ten years, you will see multiple drones every day in the sky. They will be used for deliveries, other forms of transportation, photography and video, commercial uses and hobby.

My friend had his drone up to 1200 feet. You couldn't even see it anymore. It is not if a drone hits a plane, it is when.

Operators need to learn about arial rules of the road, no-fly zones, etc. It will absolutely necessitate licensing, and, yes, drones should be registered.
Mine says it will go no higher than 150 feet. If there is an airplane within 150 feet of my house it's already coming down.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:27 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So I have learned I need to register my drones with the FAA because people do not comprehend risks.

Literally you are more likely to have your plane hit by a turtle then a drone. in fact someone recently showed the data:
Airplanes Hit More Turtles Than Drones | Popular Science

If a drone were to strike a plane, it is far less dangerous then many birds, AND its illegal to fly over 400 feet within 5 miles of an airport.

When will we require people to register their turtles that are far more likely to impact a plane?

On a side note...why so many turtle impacts? do they wander around on the runway?
According to the report of a 25 yr span, there was only one report of damage to a plane by hitting a turtle.

On your side note...yes, turtle likely only encountered the planes on a runway. Have you not seen turtles crossing a road? They are quite common in my neck of the woods.

Register your drone and quit bellyaching.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This forum will implode the first time an unregistered drone is used to drop an explosive device/chemical agent on someone.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:37 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This forum will implode the first time an unregistered drone is used to drop an explosive device/chemical agent on someone.
Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxThXvuP4Vo

Old 12-25-2015, 01:14 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Sure, drones and loaded guns. What could possibly go wrong? Air delivery of molatov cocktails, anyone?

How long will it be before the next school mass shooting is conducted with a drone? Gang fly-by shootings? Or just plain peeping Toms looking into windows.

I think there's a real need for mandatory drone registration enforced by severe penalties like heavy fines and jail time.

Eventually drones will need to have transponders that transmit position and identification information to tracking sites. No transponder contact == shoot it down. This age is coming soon, like it or not.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:25 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Sure, drones and loaded guns. What could possibly go wrong? Air delivery of molatov cocktails, anyone?

How long will it be before the next school mass shooting is conducted with a drone? Gang fly-by shootings? Or just plain peeping Toms looking into windows.

I think there's a real need for mandatory drone registration enforced by severe penalties like heavy fines and jail time.

Eventually drones will need to have transponders that transmit position and identification information to tracking sites. No transponder contact == shoot it down. This age is coming soon, like it or not.
random shooting at flying objects. What could possibly go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies