Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 10:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,315,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Wait...you mean Obama hasn't ended homelessness?

Or is it still Bush's fault?

??? ??? ??? ???

Obama can't do much about LOCAL housing policies, which are usually designed to protect homeowners and artificially restrict the number of poor people who can live in a community.

Obama also can't do much about greedy developers, who will never build housing for the poor until more affluent housing markets are saturated to the point of being less profitable than the poor to build for.

New construction is BOOMING in the Northwest but the private sector is not building housing affordable to the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 10:54 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,410,741 times
HUD, Freddie and Fannie come right out of Washington...

I believe under the Bush term individual home ownership reached an all time record high nationwide.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You do realize if every landlord in California voted YES for Prop 13 it would have gone down in a crushing defeat???

Prop 13 only became law because Property Owners and Tenants made it so.

Business has vote at the polls... so an individual with a 1000 units has the same vote as a transient with General Delivery...

Property Owners had a vested interest in voting for it. Tenants got either hoodwinked or downright lied to by Howard Jarvis when they were led to expect rent rollbacks.

In fact, the Prop 13 tenant swindle just might make Jarvis the de facto father of rent control in California, since so many local rent controls were enacted as a result of tenant backlash after Prop 13 passed and their rents kept going up.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:

I believe under the Bush term individual home ownership reached an all time record high nationwide.

Yes, there are TWO WAYS to expand homeownership and of course, Washington tried it the wrong way.

The right way would have involved greater property rights, which would have required reduced local regulation, but Property Owners have a vested interest in high regulation, so Washington tried what little it could, even though that was the wrong policy.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 PM

22,286 posts, read 11,790,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sanders has brought it up repeatedly in his campaign. So yes I have heard people on the democratic side bring it up. And I have heard Sanders discuss it years ago when he was on the radio. Its not a election item for him. I have also heard other Democratic candidates discuss it. So trying to claim the Democrats dont care is kinda sad as well.
Oh puhleez!

The democrats do NOT care. Period. If they did care, they wouldn't be fighting tooth and nail to amnesty illegals and keep the border wide open.

Just because democrats "discuss it", doesn't translate into caring about it or even doing something constructive about it.

Why aren't the democrats getting on board with eliminating the H1-B visa program? Why aren't they getting on board when it comes to securing our borders and ridding ourselves of illegal aliens? And, finally, why aren't democrats getting on board with drastically reducing the number of legal immigrants allowed into this country on an annual basis?

Allowing 1 million legal immigrants per year into this country is ridiculous. All those people will need places to live. If they move into cities with little or no place to expand, it drives up rents, keeping poor and working class Americans out of the rental markets.

All that said, neither party is looking out for Americans. However, at one time, democrats used to look out for Americans. Today, they put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed American citizens.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:13 AM

268 posts, read 240,143 times
Watch these places turn into huge drug and crime infested slums.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:37 AM

42,742 posts, read 25,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
The democrats just authored and passed (with republican support) quadrupling the H2b non-agricultural low skill visas. These are jobs Americans WILL do in construction, landscaping, hotel, food service, masonry, painting etc.
More homelessness and joblessness for Americans on its way.....
Not exactly the way it happened...."The omnibus insert was sponsored by Sen. Barabara Mikulski (D-Md.) and Senator Thom Tillis (R-N.C.)." Nice try at pinning it on Dems though

and then there is this: Strengthen Employment And Seasonal Opportunities Now (SEASON) Act This bill amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to provide, effective as if enacted on January 1, 2015, that a returning H-2B visa alien (temporary nonagricultural worker) who has already been counted toward the applicable numerical limitation during one of the three preceding fiscal years: (1) shall not again be counted toward such limitation during a fiscal year, but (2) shall be considered a returning worker. "Other temporary service or labor" for H-2B purposes means that an employer's need for labor will not exceed 1 year and is a seasonal (not to exceed 10 months), peak load, or intermittent need, unless it is a one-time occurrence not exceeding 3 years. introduced Wednesday by Reps. Steve Chabot, R-Ohio, Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., Andy Harris, R-Md., and Charles W. Boustany, Jr., R-La. It’s stated purpose is to “reform” the H-2B seasonal guest-worker program, it actually increases the number of H2B visas and allows workers to stay longer

Last edited by 2sleepy; 12-23-2015 at 01:04 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 12:40 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,889,093 times
Quote:

Yeah and then the economy CRASHED because people were buying homes with no hope of paying for them and the banks were loaning the money because the govt was guarantying the loans.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:27 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,410,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Property Owners had a vested interest in voting for it. Tenants got either hoodwinked or downright lied to by Howard Jarvis when they were led to expect rent rollbacks.

In fact, the Prop 13 tenant swindle just might make Jarvis the de facto father of rent control in California, since so many local rent controls were enacted as a result of tenant backlash after Prop 13 passed and their rents kept going up.
Tenants I know are smart... I doubt a bunch of lazy louts could have that kind of influence over street smart tenants...

As mentioned many times... I was too young to have voted for Prop 13... both my school teacher and my uncle had their rents reduced after it passed... so at least two people that I know.

As to rent control... it's been a fact of life for a long time in some Bay Area cities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies