Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 07:57 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiE48 View Post
This is spot on, I have three teacher and seven nurse in my family. All of the nurse make $115k or more while my two SIL and BIL teachers make $72k/95k. They all work in So/Cal and they all agree the teacher's work is harder, but the nurses work longer hours, both are stressful at times. Benefit are good for both because the nurse all work at Kasier, and the teacher are under the old CalPERS 2.5% @55 rule. Now all the nurse went to for profit schools and spent about $30k. While the teacher did four years at Cal State University and spent $40/50k on their education. We have long discussion on pay verse quality of life, also the way society views teachers with so much contempt. They all consider there jobs as rewarding and important, but financially the nurse profession is much better than teaching. Teachers with 5 to 10 years senior are under paid for the job they perform. The two school district my relatives work at, the top salary is $100,080 a year @29 years and a master degree. The starting salary is $48,611 and after ten years you are at $74,110. Now the nurse's are killing it, two work Cancer ward two work in ICU, and one is a case manager and two others or on staff. The youngest boy hired in at $48 and hour a defined pension plan, great medical and dental benefits low co-pay and deductibles. Kasier RN staff nurse make $54.72 an hour with 8-10 patients a shift and then go home. Providing skill care for sick people is wonderful work, but it doesn't even compare with teaching 21 little knuckle heads every day.
You sure about that, cupcake?

Lets see. 12.5 hour shifts throughout the year, plus call in's, random mandatory OT (or you lose your license), mandatory to come to work where roads are deemed "impassible" (or you lose your license), getting poo/pee/vomit/CSF/blood on you.

I work almost exclusively in the ICU. How's your stomach, we had 2 people with 90% burns this year. So after they have been scrubbed and the smell reaches the whole floor you go in to care (because they are going to crash 12-24 hours after the burns) for the patient being overwhelmed by the smell of charred skin, burnt hair, and you get to look at bubbled skin that's sloughing off in chunks. Ohh don't worry, they die and then you have the families wondering why you couldn't do more.

Don't forget the junkies!

By 20 years in your back is a mess (thanks obese patients!), your lifespan is down 2 years on average (saves on benefits I guess), and you've probably had at least 1 needle stick which left you wondering what you may have contracted.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:04 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
It shouldn't be a competition. Obviously nurses go through A LOT to get their paycheck-not only the training necessary but the day to day work. But teachers have it tough too-in different ways, and hopefully ways that somebody qualified can handle and anticipate.

Simply-if you are not doing it everyday, you have no idea. And that pretty much goes for any job.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:38 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiE48 View Post
We have long discussion on pay verse quality of life, also the way society views teachers with so much contempt.

I don't believe that most people view teachers with contempt, other than perhaps people like the guy above who thinks they play Michael Moore movies to indoctrinate kids... wth?

I think what makes people jump into this conversation, is when they hear teachers complaining about how hard they work and how underpaid they are, when they get summers and every bank holiday off, fully paid. It is like listening to someone who lacks gratitude.

My mother once complained about how here thumb hurt so bad from all the years of sitting there passing out papers. I once asked her to help me at my job for 5 minutes, and she barely last those 5 minutes before running out the door saying her back was cramping up and she couldn't take it. I did this job 8-10 hours a day, and she could not last 5 minutes.

Hard work is relative, and people who work in different fields have vastly different ideas of what that entails.

And kudos to the nurses scrubbing burnt flesh, watching people die, cleaning vomit and feces, dealing with adult diapers, getting needle pricks, lifting 500lb men, working midnights, 12 hour shift, weekends, and holidays. Much respect.

Last edited by L0ve; 12-24-2015 at 08:47 AM..

Old 12-24-2015, 12:36 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Sorry for the typos in the title... SNF and typing don't mix

I just found out my Aunt, a teacher of 25 years and who works for a rather small PSS (under 1200 teachers) in SoCal, has a base pay of $86,000 + $22,000 in benefits. She teaches a class of first graders, and has an assistant. She is in her seventies and refuses to retire until she maxes her retirement to 80-85% of full pay.

Is this underpaid?
Said it on here before: My mom was a teacher. She didn't teach at all when we were little kids, she stayed home. Once we got to a certain age, she decided to teach full time. We moved to some horribly small town...and I mean small. She was a 4th grade teacher. She made $46,000 a year when she started, and that was 20 years ago. Put that in to today's numbers, it's about $65,000 today...for a 4th grade teacher in a tiny, tiny town, NOT in California. No she was not underpaid.

To compare, my dad was an electrical engineer. Same small dumb town. He made about $100,000 a year back then. Put that in to today's numbers: It would be about $138,000.

Considering that my dad did not get three months out of the year off, and that he left earlier and came home later, was often called in at crazy hours in the morning, (I remember that damn phone at 4am), and didn't get all the breaks that the rest of us got because of school, I'd say it's more than fair.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 12-24-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-24-2015, 01:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
You realize that they still work when they get off the truck? If the pay is as good as the poster says it is, then obviously they can't find enough people to do it. All kinds of bad weather? People's garbage? No thanks I don't want to do it. But I'm not going to WHINE about how much they guys that do it make.
We'd be up to our armpits in our own refuse without them. I think they deserve to get paid well for what they do. I have no desire to pick up garbage but I'm sure glad someone is willing to do that job.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:19 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
As far as I'm concerned, teachers are never overpaid. They deal with everyone's kids for more hours a day than most parents, and are entrusted to teach them all sorts of things. Teaching isn't like going to Wally World to get a cheap tee shirt, you should be willing to pay fairly for it.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:29 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Some teachers are overpaid and some are underpaid. Because of teacher unions, there is no differentiation in pay between a teacher who does outstanding work and gets outstanding results from students and the teacher who was able to show up for work for 10 years to do the minimum on the job to not getting fired. In fact, the newer teachers regardless of success teaching students get fired first if there are mandatory layoffs because they don't have seniority over the bad ones with tenure. Bad, bad, bad system.....

Old 12-24-2015, 03:04 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

Lets see. 12.5 hour shifts throughout the year, plus call in's, random mandatory OT (or you lose your license), mandatory to come to work where roads are deemed "impassible" (or you lose your license), getting poo/pee/vomit/CSF/blood on you.

I work almost exclusively in the ICU. How's your stomach, we had 2 people with 90% burns this year. So after they have been scrubbed and the smell reaches the whole floor you go in to care (because they are going to crash 12-24 hours after the burns) for the patient being overwhelmed by the smell of charred skin, burnt hair, and you get to look at bubbled skin that's sloughing off in chunks. Ohh don't worry, they die and then you have the families wondering why you couldn't do more.

Don't forget the junkies!

By 20 years in your back is a mess (thanks obese patients!), your lifespan is down 2 years on average (saves on benefits I guess), and you've probably had at least 1 needle stick which left you wondering what you may have contracted.
I've never understood why hospitals work nurses such unreasonable hours. In fact, as a patient, I don't really want a nurse who has been worked to exhaustion. Scheduling is a very real complaint that nurses have, and very justified.

Some of the other issues you mentioned, while I agree they are not pleasant, you must have known those situations before you became a nurse.

The hospital I have been in here a couple of times happens to be Catholic affiliated, but whether a hospital is religious or not, some nurses are definitely saints.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:13 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Some teachers are overpaid and some are underpaid. Because of teacher unions, there is no differentiation in pay between a teacher who does outstanding work and gets outstanding results from students and the teacher who was able to show up for work for 10 years to do the minimum on the job to not getting fired. In fact, the newer teachers regardless of success teaching students get fired first if there are mandatory layoffs because they don't have seniority over the bad ones with tenure. Bad, bad, bad system.....
That "system" is hardly unique to teaching.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've never understood why hospitals work nurses such unreasonable hours. In fact, as a patient, I don't really want a nurse who has been worked to exhaustion. Scheduling is a very real complaint that nurses have, and very justified.

Some of the other issues you mentioned, while I agree they are not pleasant, you must have known those situations before you became a nurse.

The hospital I have been in here a couple of times happens to be Catholic affiliated, but whether a hospital is religious or not, some nurses are definitely saints.
Well, you're usually pretty well through an undergrad program before the working hours, etc become clear.

Bub, you can't unring that bell:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Now, I could go on and make some slams against nurses -- without exaggerating a bit -- but I know that the vast majority of you work hard and do great things, and put up with outrageous hours and often ill treatment from doctors. Yes, you as a nurse sometimes save lives, but to be honest with you, most nurses don't save many lives, if any. And, not all teachers are good and competent, but sometimes we make lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies