Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 07:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Why would a nurse begrudge a teacher based on the compensation and why would a teacher do the same to a nurse.

Both are fine occupations who deserve the compensation they receive.

I would not be willing to take either job at the current compensation.
Thank you. If you look through my posts, you will see I have never said teachers are overpaid, or that they are incompetent, don't do much worthwhile, etc. I really got irritated when some who talked about nursing being some sort of cushy high-paying job began carrying on about garbage collectors having it so tough.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:07 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Day shift, no weekends, no holidays, all summer off and making more then a nurse. Sorry, overpaid.

That's about what the teachers here make. Averaging 105,000-110,000 salary plus benefits in an area where the HOUSEHOLD income is around mid-80's.
I work for a nonprofit. After 15 years of successful work I make a little less than a first year teacher in our area, worked 500 hours of (unpaid) overtime in 2015, and took very little vacation. Still, my job isn't secure; I have to go out and look for grant money as I go along. Our CFO is constantly on my case when the grants come up short of what I cost (which is most of the time.)

I am very proud of what I have been able to accomplish, which kind of makes up for the relatively low pay and the extra effort. Still, I get frustrated when teachers try to imply that they are to super public servants who do too much for too little.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:34 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Teachers are overpaid. The average salary in my kid's school district is in the mid $70's.

Given the amount of time off (basically half of the year) and the fact that the job only requires a BA I think they are dramatically overpaid. Summer break, spring break, fall break, Christmas break, Thanksgiving break, an endless number of teacher "planning" days, etc... It's absolutely ridiculous how little time teachers actually spend in the classroom doing the job they get paid to do. Can you imagine telling your boss that you need a day off every three or four weeks to "plan" your work? Teaching is probably the single most spoiled "profession" in American society today. They don't work nearly as long of hours as doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, or even most blue collar jobs.

School starts at 9am and ends at 3:30pm, which isn't even a 6 hour day when you add lunch and recess. And don't give me a load of bull about how they work late planning their lessons or grading papers. They don't. The entire school is empty by 4:30pm every day.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:45 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Mid-80k's is overpaid to you?

In my line of work (engineering) in my area, someone after a couple years of experience is expected to be paid in the mid-80k's, and they are still considered newbies.
You're an ENGINEER for god's sake. I assume you have a four year degree, a very HARD four year degree, and that there are almost no "fluff" hires/employees in your engineering department??
Teaching, my friend, is far, far different. I know: I taught.
And was a union rep. I will give you the straight scoop. But it sounds like you don't want it.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Why would a nurse begrudge a teacher based on the compensation and why would a teacher do the same to a nurse.

Both are fine occupations who deserve the compensation they receive.

I would not be willing to take either job at the current compensation.

Do the two professions deserve it no matter what?? $50,000 a year? $100,000 a year??? $220,000 a year??
It kind of IS our business, after all, because both professions are increasingly paid off the public trough (you note I did not say "sucking off the public teat").

Old 12-27-2015, 12:02 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. As you sort of point out here, in many universities the teaching program is usually only about 18 credits, including student teaching, out of a 120 degree program. Almost a "minor", while the student in expected to earn a full degree is the field they are teaching -- history, science, math, etc. For example, I have a B.S. and M.S, in geosciences, which could stand alone in the job market, with a minor in secondary education.

2. Yeah, teachers have it so good in Maryland that I left the state for a far better salary and better benefits in Virginia. Montgomery County -- top notch. Prince Georges County -- bottom notch. Baltimore City -- the pits. The quality of the profession in Maryland depends greatly on which county school system one is in.

3. Plumbers do not have the education teachers have, nor do they in any substantial way have to participate in continuing education for their whole career.

4. Well, since you revel so in the lack of job security in the private sector...may it happen to you.
number 3 is one of the most absurd things I have even read. first of all, I used a plumber as an example, but I am going to assume you are just kidding. how do you know plumbers do not have the "education" teachers have? do you not think that perhaps there are some people who just kinda became plumbers after college? I know you probably think you're above those who do manual labor, but without them, the country would be in rough shape. I have 2 friends that were roommates at virginia tech. one majored in horticulture, and the other majored in landscape architecture. once they graduated, they started a business, yet they go out and do the work. it's funny that you seem to look down on people simply because you think you're above them. if makes you appear extremely insecure. you also might want to check out the apprenticeship program up at woodson HS in fairfax. they have programs for professionals in the trade industries. most of them are 5 or so years long, so that's 5 years of education after HS. if you obtain a license, you are normally required to do continuing education in order to keep your license in good standing. you'd know this if you left the house every now and then.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:37 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
number 3 is one of the most absurd things I have even read. first of all, I used a plumber as an example, but I am going to assume you are just kidding. how do you know plumbers do not have the "education" teachers have? do you not think that perhaps there are some people who just kinda became plumbers after college? I know you probably think you're above those who do manual labor, but without them, the country would be in rough shape. I have 2 friends that were roommates at virginia tech. one majored in horticulture, and the other majored in landscape architecture. once they graduated, they started a business, yet they go out and do the work. it's funny that you seem to look down on people simply because you think you're above them. if makes you appear extremely insecure. you also might want to check out the apprenticeship program up at woodson HS in fairfax. they have programs for professionals in the trade industries. most of them are 5 or so years long, so that's 5 years of education after HS. if you obtain a license, you are normally required to do continuing education in order to keep your license in good standing. you'd know this if you left the house every now and then.
Qualifications to be a plumber: How to Become a Plumber | Education and Career Roadmap

Old 12-27-2015, 12:46 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Do the two professions deserve it no matter what?? $50,000 a year? $100,000 a year??? $220,000 a year??
It kind of IS our business, after all, because both professions are increasingly paid off the public trough (you note I did not say "sucking off the public teat").

We were all spoiled by the years past when our brightest women could only become nurses or teachers. It artificially deflated the pay scale. Now women can and do become any profession they want and the cost of nurses and teachers has risen to be competitive.

I would not want to do either job at the compensation level. If it is so easy and the compensation so great become a nurse or a teacher.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
We were all spoiled by the years past when our brightest women could only become nurses or teachers. It artificially deflated the pay scale. Now women can and do become any profession they want and the cost of nurses and teachers has risen to be competitive.

I would not want to do either job at the compensation level. If it is so easy and the compensation so great become a nurse or a teacher.

I was a teacher. I would become a nurse, to see what it's like. But six years in my current academic track and now working fulltime doesn't really allow for a "hobby career".

Old 12-27-2015, 01:11 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Most states only require 24 credit hours in a core subject in order to be deemed competent to teach it.

Colorado Teaching Certification | Become a teacher in CO

In other words, your high school social studies teacher probably knew very little about civics, the constitution or history. Which explains why I am constantly having to supplement what my daughter is learning in the classroom. Wouldn't it be nice if teachers were required to spend the summers attending continuing education so that they actually knew what they were talking about? Of course, that would require them to work year round like most other professionals and we all know that's not happening...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies