Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 05:09 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
AMD the NJ average for a teacher is about $67,000. I would bet the average around you is closer to $80,000.
In Ocean county the high salary is $85,000 in some towns.

Here is link for teachers in Milburn not supervisors

NJ Teacher Results

What do you think a middle class salary is in NJ?
My list is more comprehensive. Not just English teachers in the high school, but all teachers in all the schools. Yes, it shows supervisors too, but I figured people were smart enough to discount the supervisors, of which many are actually teachers, btw.

I think I was clear that I don't think teachers are overpaid. I was only questioning the numbers on the website that was posted by another poster.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-04-2016 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 PM

858 posts, read 707,754 times
as the husband of a teacher, i find some comments funny when they come from people who make assumptions about teachers. Let me clarify a few things. No teacher leaves work at 3pm and it's not like they don't bring work home with them. Most teachers will spend their own money for supplies. I can't imagine my corporate job telling me I can't print out a presentation because they are rationing paper...or I have to provide my own dry erase markers for the conference room.

As for salary, teachers are pretty low and god forbid that after 25+ years that they start making a good salary to..you know...buy a house, pay for their kid's college, go on vacation among other things. My wife's raise after getting her master's? $500. really great. Makes spending $10000 a great investment.

vacations?!?! HA! it's a great vacation going anywhere during peak season when it's more expensive and when everyone in the freaking world is there too. very relaxing. want to get married during the school year? Nope. they won't give you the time off.

and the general disrespect that the public and parents give teachers is appalling. One of our friends who is also a teacher needed knee surgery and can you believe that one of the parents actually asked her if she could delay the surgery until little Johnny took the SAT's so that she could keep prepping him? really? it's shocking sometimes.

I make double than my wife and you would have to double that again just to entice me to do what she does. no way.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Teachers don't get any respect because they are supposed to be everything for everyone. But they are just one person who can only do so much for 30 plus kids. In addition to teaching, planning, grading, etc (which by the way also includes nights and weekends) ..... they also have to be counselors, disciplinarians, referees, lunch attendants, etc. If you combine the salaries of all those professions, then yes, teachers are grossly underpaid.
You could say the same for a lot of professions.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Oh, okay... You are the thread police. Because discussing whether or not teachers should work more if they want to earn more is somehow outside of the scope of this discussion. So let me simplify it for you... many, if not most, teachers are actually overpaid. They only work about half the year and even when they are working they have abbreviated schedules compared to most professions. Is that simple enough for you?

What are you talking about...half the year and abbreviated schedules How about you become a teacher for a year and then come back to this thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm not saying that teachers make too much by any means, but the averages on that site seem very low for my area in NJ. We have a website that lists every teacher and their salary, and I rarely see salaries below $60k. And they go up to $130k. We even have gym teachers and music teachers making 6 figures.
Many states have their sunshine law written so that salaries below a certain number cannot be released for individuals. You might not see many below $60k because $60k is the cutoff. Also, I have seen our local paper here in St Louis purposely not publish salaries below $50k, without a disclaimer, just because it made the numbers generate more clicks.
Gym teachers and music teachers tend to be the highest paid because they get addiontal pay for extracurriculars. When my wife was a public school music teacher, her extracurricular work had her on campus 6am to 10pm twice a week every week 6am to 4pm the rest of the week.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:32 AM

241 posts, read 189,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Sorry for the typos in the title... SNF and typing don't mix

I just found out my Aunt, a teacher of 25 years and who works for a rather small PSS (under 1200 teachers) in SoCal, has a base pay of $86,000 + $22,000 in benefits. She teaches a class of first graders, and has an assistant. She is in her seventies and refuses to retire until she maxes her retirement to 80-85% of full pay.

Is this underpaid?
It's funny how those complaining about teacher salaries (and police officer salaries for that matter) don't want to get into those professions themselves.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:20 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Many states have their sunshine law written so that salaries below a certain number cannot be released for individuals. You might not see many below $60k because $60k is the cutoff. Also, I have seen our local paper here in St Louis purposely not publish salaries below $50k, without a disclaimer, just because it made the numbers generate more clicks.
Gym teachers and music teachers tend to be the highest paid because they get addiontal pay for extracurriculars. When my wife was a public school music teacher, her extracurricular work had her on campus 6am to 10pm twice a week every week 6am to 4pm the rest of the week.
I don't think that is the case here because there are a few in there that are below $60k. Even a couple that, for some reason, are as low as $39k. Maybe part timers? I think it may be more because of my initial suspicion, that was confirmed by another poster. There is a pay disparity between the northern and southern parts of the state. Towns in the northern part of the state pay $24,000 per student per year. Even more in the poor areas that get state funding. That money has to be going somewhere. But it is not cheap to live here, so I guess it's all relative.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-05-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies