U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:53 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,138,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
My wife works 65-80 hours every 2 weeks all depends on what days her job gives her....its usually around 72
We have been married 10 years
BOTH of us have HS diplomas and both actually have advanced education but not college degrees
We have 4 kids. What's the average? 1? No thanks.We managed to have 4 kids because we don't buy brand new,we yard sale and thrift store and hand down the family etc. We STILL together make about 25k a year.So study failed for us.

You make $17K per year, and your wife makes $8K per year? What are your jobs? What's the COL where you live?

That's impressive? Do you pay for child care while your wife is working? Or do you watch the kids while she works and vice-versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 10:54 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,904,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
You make $17K per year, and your wife makes $8K per year? What are your jobs? What's the COL where you live?

That's impressive? Do you pay for child care while your wife is working? Or do you watch the kids while she works and vice-versa?

I know people similarly situated; they work opposite shifts and have one older car.

Dad goes to work in the morning while mom watches the kids; when dad gets home from work he watches the kids while mom goes to work.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In order to make $25k per year, combined, that means that if both of you worked for minimum wage, neither of you could work (averaged) more than 35 hours per week.

Either you don't work, or something doesn't add up.

Many low-wage jobs are part time by employer design, e.g. to ensure employers do not have to pay overtime or Obamacare costs.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:09 PM

10,906 posts, read 4,786,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I know people similarly situated; they work opposite shifts and have one older car.

Dad goes to work in the morning while mom watches the kids; when dad gets home from work he watches the kids while mom goes to work.
Wow. That's rough, sounds like they never get to see each other.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:41 PM

29,509 posts, read 16,384,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Do you want to control the sex lives of poor people?
No. That's a very stupid question. Why would I want to do that? Do you want to control the sex lives of armadillos?

Old 12-22-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
What do you have to say about this?
Off topic. Do you have a comment on the material in the OP?

Old 12-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Who cares? Again, off topic.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
My wife works 65-80 hours every 2 weeks all depends on what days her job gives her....its usually around 72
We have been married 10 years
BOTH of us have HS diplomas and both actually have advanced education but not college degrees
We have 4 kids. What's the average? 1? No thanks.We managed to have 4 kids because we don't buy brand new,we yard sale and thrift store and hand down the family etc. We STILL together make about 25k a year.So study failed for us.
No, the study didn't fail you at all. The study didn't say "All poor people do ......". It's about averages for the group.

Your failure is your own.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:57 PM

1,276 posts, read 2,985,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many low-wage jobs are part time by employer design, e.g. to ensure employers do not have to pay overtime or Obamacare costs.
This!!! I just rejoined the workforce after a hiatus and I am having a terrible time trying to find a full-time job. My current employer only had a handful of full-time job slots available because they refuse to pay for Obama care. It is awful. Many,many ppl are suffering because of this.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, the study didn't fail you at all. The study didn't say "All poor people do ......". It's about averages for the group.

Your failure is your own.

I think poor people in this country have a lower tolerance than higher-income people for sustained menial labor. (That did not come out as intended; higher-income people do not have to perform sustained menial labor.)

Before welfare reform, we all were aware of the short-term recipients who got jobs, advanced in their work, and left welfare...and the long-term deadbeats who were consuming vast taxpayer resources.

There was a third group of recipients who repeatedly cycled on and off welfare, taking menial jobs for a time, quitting the job and returning to welfare, then going back to work - indefinitely.

While I've never seen stats on this, I think people stuck in the menial job sector - a la Nickel and Dimed - perform much less work over time than do people who advance into 'better' job sectors.

Is it a chicken and egg issue? How much fault lies with the (non)workers and how much with low-quality jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or