Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 04:17 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
Green, this took place in the very early years of our nation. It wasn't just a few who joined the confederacy either. It was half the country. If they won, would the northern generals be traitors? It is a unique situation.

Bottom line, like it or not, it is our history. And many of those who have been honored were also known for contributions before the Civil War.
I don't care when this happened, period. Anything from the Confederacy does not deserve a place of honor. Lee was a traitor, period. Can it be refuted?

Old 12-23-2015, 04:19 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't care when this happened, period. Anything from the Confederacy does not deserve a place of honor. Lee was a traitor, period. Can it be refuted?
A traitor to whom exactly? We are a collection of sovereign states after all. Did he betray his state? Ultimately what he is is an American, and the monuments to soldiers of the confederacy are monuments to American dead.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
A traitor to whom exactly? We are a collection of sovereign states after all. Did he betray his state? Ultimately what he is is an American, and the monuments to soldiers of the confederacy are monuments to American dead.
He is a traitor to the USA. he made an oath to the USA, and broke that oath to fight for an army waging war against the USA.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:52 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
I think that the Articles Of Confederation were very strongly on the side of sovereign states.

But I think the Constitution and Supreme Court decision erased much of the sovereign state concept in America.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that the Articles Of Confederation were very strongly on the side of sovereign states.

But I think the Constitution and Supreme Court decision erased much of the sovereign state concept in America.
And the Constitution shows that Lee is a traitor.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
And the Constitution shows that Lee is a traitor.
I agree, but I also think that Lee had some admirable traits. Everything is not either/or.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I agree, but I also think that Lee had some admirable traits. Everything is not either/or.
Well, this is how I see it. Knowing what we know about the Confederate cause, there is not a good reason to name a street agter any Confederate generals.

I have a personal reason. He might have freed his slaves, but the side he fought for, the Confederacy wanted to maintain slavery. One can look at the Articles of Secession and see this. The drafted Confederate Constitution spelled out protecting the right to own slaves. Being the descendant of those said slaves, I cannot respect that cause, or anything related to the Confederate cause.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Well, this is how I see it. Knowing what we know about the Confederate cause, there is not a good reason to name a street agter any Confederate generals.

I have a personal reason. He might have freed his slaves, but the side he fought for, the Confederacy wanted to maintain slavery. One can look at the Articles of Secession and see this. The drafted Confederate Constitution spelled out protecting the right to own slaves. Being the descendant of those said slaves, I cannot respect that cause, or anything related to the Confederate cause.
And you're free to have that strict an opinion. But others can have different opinions, as well.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Did you not see the word "SOME" in there? Some means a few, not all. I don't think all southerners are proud of the confederacy. But I know for a fact some exist, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Calling me an "ignorant yankee" doesn't change the fact that some southerners are proud of the confederacy and wish it didn't go away and are still bitter about the civil war.

I don't know what looking at a map has to do with anything...

I did not call you an ignorant yankee. I said the generalization was ignorant. Big difference.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:56 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
Quote:
And you're free to have that strict an opinion. But others can have different opinions, as well.
The reason the statues and monuments of the Confederacy exist in the first place is due to tyranny of the majority. They couldn't care less that descendants of slaves have to put up with these symbols of hatred and captivity on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies