U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:54 PM

1,228 posts, read 613,847 times

Advertisements

What the HELL would this guy know anything about a factory job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 07:59 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,135,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yet again you try to make it about me. This is a logical fallacy argument.
For someone who won't answer questions, you sure do ask a lot of them.

Quote:
Steel manufacturing is not a skill as it takes many skills to manufacture steel.
Hence the phrase skill "set"

i.e. a "set" of skills.

Quote:
So please name these obsolete skills that you speak of?
I mentioned obsolete skill set -- that is, sets of skills that are no longer economically viable in the United States.

Steel manufacturing is one example.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:00 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,135,447 times
Quote:
Cree makes light bulbs in NC and they are cheaper than the ones from China.
So take that up with Packard Fan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
CFL light bulbs; not sure about 2015 but, a few years ago ALL of them sold in the US were made in China. Not good.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:50 AM

18,664 posts, read 7,254,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
That would be a relevant analogy if 1 person made the car like a Nissan GT-R, but it literally takes the contribution of thousands to put the car together, to begin with the car is somewhat modular so big parts get built offsite, the guys that puts the windshield on, he is guiding a mechanized arm while another worker seals it in place, same motion all day guide a glass into a hole, the other guy moves his arm the same 24 inches to seal it, all day, is that highly skill labor?
In figuring out how to make things cheaper and cheaper, one of the first things to do is to dumb down the work make it so that you can pay less to workers, make it so they can be interchangeable, break down the work into smaller parts, take away responsibility, I will give you that I am generalizing there are cases where the worker is doing a highly specialized assembly but those are the exception.

Bingo. I worked at a few multi billion US manufacturers, and we reduced median wage cost largely using that method. Those left post automation were largely doing jobs that paid and required less of them.

We also did our fair share of eliminating the entry level, lower paid positions such as automating basic packouts and loading of materials.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

The bottom line is that if your job is at risk of being shipped to Asia or Latin America to be performed by poor uneducated people, that is not a problem with U.S. trade policy, that is a problem with YOUR skillset.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:15 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,961,111 times
This I''l say: even IF le roi and some of the other posters in this thread are 100 percent correct; which they ain't, what WOULD help out our blue collar people would be to put a stop to MOST immigration and, catch then deport EVERY illegal alien found. Some employers would be mad but, oh well. They'll just have to pony up the money to get and KEEP decent workers. If not; so that employer goes out of business.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:41 PM

2,812 posts, read 1,226,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
One off color joke by Trump and all the hell breaks loose but here we got the president blaming blue collar workers for not “adjusting” to the “new” economy, i.e. jobs leaving the country. Shameful! What are they supposed to do? He is acting as if he is some college professor commenting on current events. Why haven’t YOU done something to help instead of blaming them? You have been president for 8 years.
Trump has certainly made more than one off-color joke, but that is a different topic. I find Trump's remarks funny at times, sometimes interesting, occasionally offensive, and always refreshingly un-PC. LOL. Though I can't see myself voting for him, I do like Trump because he's just so straightforward and says what is on his mind--very much the anti-politician.

I'm a Democrat who was also offended by the remark about blue collar workers "not adjusting to the new economy". Yes...because people who used to have good factory jobs earning $20 an hour should now be happy working in service jobs for $10 an hour, right? I can't tell you how many people that I know who were permanently laid off from good-paying factory jobs due to factory closings/offshoring and are now working at jobs paying nowhere near what they used to be paid. It is very sad to see this; many of my friends had worked for these companies for 15, 20, even 25 years. The "new" economy of low-paying service jobs is destroying the middle class as we know it. That is the main thing I hate about politics/politicians. Almost none of them come from a working class or even middle class background so they just have no freaking clue...

Old 12-25-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

I'm a Democrat who was also offended by the remark about blue collar workers "not adjusting to the new economy". Yes...because people who used to have good factory jobs earning $20 an hour should now be happy working in service jobs for $10 an hour, right? I can't tell you how many people that I know who were permanently laid off from good-paying factory jobs due to factory closings/offshoring and are now working at jobs paying nowhere near what they used to be paid. It is very sad to see this; many of my friends had worked for these companies for 15, 20, even 25 years. The "new" economy of low-paying service jobs is destroying the middle class as we know it. That is the main thing I hate about politics/politicians. Almost none of them come from a working class or even middle class background so they just have no freaking clue...

With training and education, there are millions of service jobs paying more than their old factory jobs. The $10 service jobs are basically "unskilled service jobs".

Old 12-25-2015, 05:32 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,961,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
With training and education, there are millions of service jobs paying more than their old factory jobs. The $10 service jobs are basically "unskilled service jobs".
I don't believe that, sorry. Many of the "low skilled" jobs are now being done by illegal aliens in Az, Calif and a few other places. Kick out their kind and jobs would open up tho dirty employers would NEED to be careful since we CAN fight back if mistreated, illegals can't.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I don't believe that, sorry. Many of the "low skilled" jobs are now being done by illegal aliens in Az, Calif and a few other places. Kick out their kind and jobs would open up tho dirty employers would NEED to be careful since we CAN fight back if mistreated, illegals can't.

The problem is you are worried who has the "low skilled job", when we should expect folks to train for "High skilled service jobs".

There is no fighting back when low skilled, as those jobs if priced too high, would be automated far more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or