Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:47 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
How did that work out with Vietnam? I'm sure we won the war with all those carpet bombing raids. Oh, wait...
That's a good point. The strategy of the US was to beat them into submission. They weren't interested in taking and holding ground. It was a numbers game, kill as many as possible. Fortunately for us, the Vietnamese were not interested in retaliating against us, even though they had every reason to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 09:53 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
That's a good point. The strategy of the US was to beat them into submission. They weren't interested in taking and holding ground. It was a numbers game, kill as many as possible. Fortunately for us, the Vietnamese were not interested in retaliating against us, even though they had every reason to do so.
My father was an officer of the S Vietnamese Army. He went to "reeducation camp" for 7 years after the war.

Nowadays, his biggest complaint was those American carpet bombing raids. Why? Because every time the Americans bombed the hell out of a region, all it did was created that many more communist followers. All the local populations knew was the evil Americans bombed their villages to hell and the communists were fighting the Americans.

ISIS has been daring the American Army to go in and fight them head on. How is that not obvious that they know as soon as we expand military operations there to fight them we will only turn the population's hearts toward ISIS.

But whatever, conservatives only want to carpet bomb and send in troops. Nothing I can say to convince them otherwise...

Old 12-24-2015, 10:02 AM

998 posts, read 665,172 times
Quote:
Let's start with carpet bombing the middle east, since this is what all of your candidates have been wanting to do.

Do you think carpet bombing the middle east and making the sand there glow will solve the ISIS problem?
I'm not sure who these candidates are that you refer to as "mine", but aside from perhaps Lindsey Graham (who is no longer in the race) I have not heard any plans from the GOP to "carpet bomb" the "middle east". What we need to do is get the oil, seize it, and distribute the profits to our country. Instead, Barry would prefer to give them a 72 hour warning ahead of any bombings. It's kind of a *wink wink* .... 'Hey guys, the American public is twisting my arm to do something here. Take the oil and move it somewhere else before we get there!'

Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
My father was an officer of the S Vietnamese Army. He went to "reeducation camp" for 7 years after the war.

Nowadays, his biggest complaint was those American carpet bombing raids. Why? Because every time the Americans bombed the hell out of a region, all it did was created that many more communist followers. All the local populations knew was the evil Americans bombed their villages to hell and the communists were fighting the Americans.

ISIS has been daring the American Army to go in and fight them head on. How is that not obvious that they know as soon as we expand military operations there to fight them we will only turn the population's hearts toward ISIS.

But whatever, conservatives only want to carpet bomb and send in troops. Nothing I can say to convince them otherwise...
My father lived in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh city during the war. He was very pro-America. But now that I'm older, and have been able to gain a better understanding of the politics, I too would have been opposed to the war. It's an odd internal conflict, because I also would not be here were it not for the war.

Also, if you look at Vietnam before the US entered, like the French colonization, the communist revolt makes way more sense. Many of the countries that turned communist had been exploited by foreign (mostly western) powers for generations.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
From past experience, every time a fake outrage thread is picked apart, you people would just abandon the thread and make 10 more fake outrage threads.

Come back when you're ready to have a serious conversation.
Um, okay...

As to serious conversation, speak for yourself. You address nothing in the OP linked article, instead complain about the forum and anyone who dare criticize O-messiah.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:08 AM

998 posts, read 665,172 times
2016 is going to be a difficult year for this country, I'm afraid. Obama is going to double down on his efforts to destroy America in his last year. It's going to be bad... but it will ensure that we get someone to the far right on the political spectrum to enter office and attempt to fix his mess. I'm afraid it's going to take a long time to put this country back on track again. It won't be easy, for sure.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
2016 is going to be a difficult year for this country, I'm afraid. Obama is going to double down on his efforts to destroy America in his last year. It's going to be bad... but it will ensure that we get someone to the far right on the political spectrum to enter office and attempt to fix his mess. I'm afraid it's going to take a long time to put this country back on track again. It won't be easy, for sure.
What do you mean destroy? What track do you think we got off of? You're speaking very vaguely. What did you lose that you are trying to get back?

Old 12-24-2015, 10:25 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
I understand the anger and messaging Rs are sending with their support of Trump.
But I don't think they understand that Hillary will win if Trump is the R nominee.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:06 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Well if he would stop acting like ISIS can't be defeated and BLM have some real gains in this country, he may be seen in a better light.......do yeah think?
No, I don't believe any conservative poster could get themselves to say anything nice about Obama.

Just whine, whine, whine.

Oh, by the way, did anyone check yet to see if the Obama's Christmas tree has a picture of Chairman Mao on it this year? hahahahahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies