Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If the Old Testament is irrelevant, then why is the theory of evolution a problem? After all, creationism is a belief based on Genesis. Isn't Genesis part of the Old Testament?
Let me say it a little slower - t h e O T l a w s a r e n o l o n g e r a p p l i c a b l e a f t e r t h e n e w c o v e n a n t. If this is still confusing to you, I'll try to clarify it more for you, but I never said the OT was irrelevant, I said the OT laws are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing how you know that God makes people gay?
God made people. Gay people are born gay. God made gay people.

If you feel that being gay is a choice, we really don't have anything to discuss without going even further off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 12:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let me say it a little slower - t h e O T l a w s a r e n o l o n g e r a p p l i c a b l e a f t e r t h e n e w c o v e n a n t. If this is still confusing to you, I'll try to clarify it more for you, but I never said the OT was irrelevant, I said the OT laws are.

If you feel that being gay is a choice, we really don't have anything to discuss without going even further off topic.
I h o p e w h e n y o u r e a d y o u r p o s t y o u will feel a tad embarrassed. I think the Old Testament is full of statements and "laws" that make no sense to those of us who live in a secular society. But those "OT laws" you dismiss as irrelevant are, again, not irrelevant to fundamentalists. Perhaps all the fundamentalists were absent on the day that Pedro Martinez claims that the 'new covenant" rendered the "OT laws" as irrelevant.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I h o p e w h e n y o u r e a d y o u r p o s t y o u will feel a tad embarrassed. I think the Old Testament is full of statements and "laws" that make no sense to those of us who live in a secular society. But those "OT laws" you dismiss as irrelevant are, again, not irrelevant to fundamentalists. Perhaps all the fundamentalists were absent on the day that Pedro Martinez claims that the 'new covenant" rendered the "OT laws" as irrelevant.
Any Christian "fundamentalist" would know about the new covenant and how it renders OT laws void.

BTW, specifically which Christian fundamentalist has said the OT laws were still valid?

Old 12-23-2015, 01:01 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Any Christian "fundamentalist" would know about the new covenant and how it renders OT laws void.

BTW, specifically which Christian fundamentalist has said the OT laws were still valid?
For the sake of clarity, what makes an OT law an OT law? I would assume the Ten Commandments are OT laws, carved in stone by the finger of God and all, but is there specific language that makes the prohibition against eating shellfish a "law" and not a "guideline"? What "OT laws" are you saying are no longer relevant, and by what authority are you determining what laws are irrelevant and what laws are relevant?

Old 12-23-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
For the sake of clarity, what makes an OT law an OT law? I would assume the Ten Commandments are OT laws, carved in stone by the finger of God and all, but is there specific language that makes the prohibition against eating shellfish a "law" and not a "guideline"? What "OT laws" are you saying are no longer relevant, and by what authority are you determining what laws are irrelevant and what laws are relevant?
You can start here:

Do Christians have to obey the Old Testament law?

Old 12-23-2015, 01:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:

I've never heard of any of them following them, I mean think about it, if they did they would be comparable to ISIS. I think we'd notice them stoning folks for adultery.

At one point they did however. Kind of a odd thought if you read up on it all.

So like you, im curious who is claiming to follow them, and if they just cherry pick them (which is quite literally the worst idea ever from a avoiding hell point of view in my opinion-they should either all be followed, or none if I recall my bible correctly)

Old 12-23-2015, 01:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
A stoning would be a great place to bomb - Kill as many as possible, in one go.

The only innocent ones, would be the ones getting stoned.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-23-2015 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,193 times
Quote:

Hey, you brought it up. I just thought since you're backing up your other assertions on this thread with scripture, that you could enlighten us with scripture that states that God makes people gay. But you can't so don't attribute man's shortcomings to God.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:10 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Hey, you brought it up. I just thought since you're backing up your other assertions on this thread with scripture, that you could enlighten us with scripture that states that God makes people gay. But you can't so don't attribute man's shortcomings to God.
Are you denying there is a biological basis for it then? I mean, hey just curious here.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:15 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I suppose there is no point to compare modern day Muslims to ancient Christians.
As if religions evolve on their own. Muslim and Christians alike have evolved by the force of secular government. Any religion left on its own is capable of reverting to its more base doctrines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies