Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:09 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

My family has tried to become blood donors in the USA to give back to the community but we are banned as we have lived in Europe in a Country that had 3 cases of mad cow disease (all after we didn't resided there and already were residents of the USA) while the population at the time was 16 million people.

We never resided in a rural area nor visited a farm.

This week the news came that homo sexual people now can give blood as long as they didn't have sex for 1 year (I guess we have to believe the verbal statement as I don't think anyone will bring in the person they last had sex with), so no actively homo sexual can give blood.

I'm not sure how we can be considered a high risk and be banned from giving blood (even our adult kids who came here at the age of 5 and the other one a little bit older) while someone who had homo sexual encounters and we have to believe them on their word.

To me this doesn't make sense but I respect the laws of the Country but with a blood type of A negative I thought my blood could make a difference and it should be easily be tested for mad cow disease and not having lived over there for over 16 years...I guess I would have been dead by now if I had mad cow disease.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Blood Donor Eligibility: Blood Pressure, Pregnancy, Disease & More | American Red Cross

Even though the FDA announced this week that homosexuals may give blood, overturning a 30-year-old blanket ban, the government will still not let sexually active homosexuals donate. Any man who identifies as homosexual may only give blood if he stipulates he has not had sexual contact with another man in the previous 12 months.

FDA Keeps Ban on Active Homosexuals Donating Blood

Three people have died in the Netherlands from variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease after eating meat from a BSE positive cow. The last reported death was in January 2009. Deaths were also reported in 2005 and 2006.

https://www.rnw.org/archive/new-case...isease-holland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 11:14 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We never resided in a rural area nor visited a farm.
Apparently you are completely unaware about how mad cow disease is transmitted. You can get it from your hamburgers or steaks you eat. Being in a rural area or visiting a farm is not the point at all.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Apparently you are completely unaware about how mad cow disease is transmitted. You can get it from your hamburgers or steaks you eat. Being in a rural area or visiting a farm is not the point at all.
I'm aware of that but if only 3 cases are known and were detected close a decade after we had moved away than it I very unlikely.

Compared to someone's word of not having had sex for one year....?

Not that it is that important but we tried to contribute to a good cause and I would not have brought it up if the news that came out this week wasn't so "special" as now people are to believed on their word for something that to me sounds like a higher risk.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
and nobody tells a lie.... I just hope they test or screen the blood/plasma before passing on to a patient or drug maker

Old 12-23-2015, 11:40 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm aware of that but if only 3 cases are known and were detected close a decade after we had moved away than it I very unlikely.

Compared to someone's word of not having had sex for one year....?

Not that it is that important but we tried to contribute to a good cause and I would not have brought it up if the news that came out this week wasn't so "special" as now people are to believed on their word for something that to me sounds like a higher risk.
Everyone is believed on their word when donating blood. You were taken at your word that you lived in Europe, but someone else might not have checked off that box and no one would have known any different. Homosexual men could have easily not stated that they were homosexual and no one would have known any different.
They don't do serious background checks on people donating blood, they give you a form to fill out and take you at your word.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:37 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Everyone is believed on their word when donating blood. You were taken at your word that you lived in Europe, but someone else might not have checked off that box and no one would have known any different. Homosexual men could have easily not stated that they were homosexual and no one would have known any different.
They don't do serious background checks on people donating blood, they give you a form to fill out and take you at your word.
So the OP got denied for being honest.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So the OP got denied for being honest.
As would a gay man that says he has had sex in the last year.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:21 PM

Scary thought...

Old 12-23-2015, 06:43 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
and nobody tells a lie.... I just hope they test or screen the blood/plasma before passing on to a patient or drug maker

As a regular blood donor all blood is first screen before it gets to a patient, at least it is supposed to be.

And as for me the Blood Services (I call them the Vampires) would take a pint a week from me if they could, I am O- and I am CMV-.

Every time when I donate blood, they are like AHH we can use your blood for babies.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Both should be banned, period. Im sorry your feelings were hurt, however, it is too risky that if your blood is infected, many people could lose their life. a life is more important than your hurt feelings. If you want to do something for mankind, seek another way to be a blessing, not just feel bad about being rejected as a blood donor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies