Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 04:00 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times

Advertisements

He was wrong to have it removed and if sued Texas will lose the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 04:00 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Since when does the government have a role in promoting religion?

You're one of those Constitutional Conservatives, I bet!
Allowing all beliefs a voice is not promoting anything.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
He was wrong to have it removed and if sued Texas will lose the case

The Texas Law clearly says, all displays must promote a religion of one or the other. This display did not do that. The time of year celebrates Christ.
Should Government employees not have the holiday off work, because government should not recognize religion?
The display was filled with hate, for those that did celebrate Christs birth.
It has been made a private display, but still displayed elsewhere in the Capitol. Away from the Christmas displays in the selected area.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:49 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Texas Law clearly says, all displays must promote a religion of one or the other. This display did not do that. The time of year celebrates Christ.
Should Government employees not have the holiday off work, because government should not recognize religion?
The display was filled with hate, for those that did celebrate Christs birth.
It has been made a private display, but still displayed elsewhere in the Capitol. Away from the Christmas displays in the selected area.
It did not display hate. It was about the Bill of Rights.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
FFRF will sue. Letting them know. I reported the idiot cops in my state that decided they had a right to put religious crap on cop cars MY tax dollars pay for.
Oh the horror!!!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Don't they teach Creationism in schools in Texas? Lmao.

I would have loved school in Texas. Which class do they teach about the Loch Ness Monster?

History? Science? Both I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Oh the horror!!!
Not horrific... but illegal.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:25 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Don't they teach Creationism in schools in Texas? Lmao.

I would have loved school in Texas. Which class do they teach about the Loch Ness Monster?

History? Science? Both I suppose.
"He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together." -Job 40:17

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...sarus+ta+prohm

Old 12-23-2015, 09:41 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Methinks the governor has sniffed too much glue.

From FFRF

Abbott wrote a letter to explain the removal. In it, he calls our Bill of Rights display “tasteless,” a “spiteful message … intentionally designed to belittle and offend” and charges that it’s “far from promoting morals and the general welfare.” He even likened the Bill of Rights display to “a photograph of a crucifix immersed in a jar of urine."

Old 12-23-2015, 09:49 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is about a display mocking the celebration of Christmas, the birth of Jesus and Hanukkah.
I'm sure a Christmas Camel in your scenario would be appropriate.

Next, you will be saying Government should not get a paid Christmas vacation with Christmas Bonuses , nor off for Thanksgiving, with all it's Christian influences.
They should have to work, because government should not be involved in any one religion, like Chrisianity.

This is the very reason, you can never get god out of governments business. It is always there, with the people. It does not get locked in a closet, before you leave home.
I don't give a **** if they recognize a religious holiday or not. If enough people celebrate it for it's recognition to make sense, go for it.

Also, I'm not an idiot. I completely noticed that you didn't even attempt to address what I had actually said, and instead went for this 'see, God is always there' route, which is irrelevant.

Freedom of and freedom from have a lot in common. You have the freedom to not be any religion and have no one force you to. You're only one out of hundreds of religions; imagine all the gods you've angered. But that's the beauty of religion. You're free to reject any and all religions. And I guess technically nothing is stopping you from being a part of every religion. But the governmetn cannot require you to follow one religion or any religion. That's both freedom of and freedom from, depending on your point of view.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:27 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Since when does the government have a role in promoting religion?

You're one of those Constitutional Conservatives, I bet!

The Constitution places restrictions on Congress prohibit establishing a state religion and interfering with the free exercise of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies