Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 06:43 AM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Adds will be run at key NBA games over the weekend focusing on gun violence. I noticed the NRA has is also running quite a few adds the last few weeks, shouldn't they also be addressing gun violence.

Now if they could only get the NFL to partner that would be real progress.

Quote:
An image of the Warriors’ Stephen Curry from an ad that is the result of a partnership between the N.B.A. and the organization Everytown for Gun Safety.

The National Basketball Association, alarmed by the death toll from shootings across the country, is stepping into the polarizing debate over guns, their regulation and the Second Amendment with an advertising campaign in partnership with one of the nation’s most aggressive advocates of stricter limits on firearm sales.

In a move with little precedent in professional sports, the N.B.A. is putting the weight of its multibillion-dollar brand and the prestige of its star athletes behind a series of television commercials calling for an end to gun violence.
The first ads, timed to reach millions of basketball fans during a series of marquee games on Christmas Day, focus on shooting victims and contain no policy recommendations. The words “gun control” are never mentioned.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/sp...berg.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 07:07 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Real progress to what dear komrad...
The NRA addresses gun violence everyday.. Have you ever seen any of the programs the NRA touts. . eagle Eddy... Hunter safety.. Concealed weapons rights and responsibilities... Police training programs.... They work tirelessly to keep our Constitution intact... Not the document which liberals think they ultimately have the right to rewrite anytime they like... Will it be your second amendment next and your ability to post ? ...

What overpaid athletes do in regards to taking away guns is laughable...any one of them can have all the armed guards they want..just like the politicians telling the rest of us what rights they will allow us to have

Citizen or subject.. Go ahead..live in your grey concrete state public housing... Americans choose freedom hands down

I live in a rural area now.. Median leo response over 20 minutes...everyone who wants to own a firearm legally should have the ability to do so. Our Sheriff is one of the few in California that follows the Constitution... If you aren't a crook.. If you have passed a two day ccw class you can carry...and for good reason

While liberals bleat citizens will get slaughtered... One gun in San Bernardino would have made a difference

Last edited by notmeofficer; 12-24-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-24-2015, 07:40 AM

I think this is a step in the right direction, it would be nice if more organizations brought this to the forefront.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:10 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think this is a step in the right direction, it would be nice if more organizations brought this to the forefront.
If the NBA is specifically addressing African American youth who are committing most of the gun violence, then I maybe it's a good idea.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:14 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I wonder how many NBA Stars have armed security or keep weapons in their homes for protection?

Hopefully they will highlight the Self Protection advantage of firearms also.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:22 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
If they really wanted to make a difference instead of just appearing to care, they would have partnered with the NRA instead of an anti gun group.

I don't watch basketball anyway, but there are a lot of impressionable kids with no logical reference to real information that do. So the indoctrination of the Obama Jugend.

To me, this is just another cause celebre, more famous people reading off a teleprompter saying whatever the guy paying them tells them too.

Waste of an opportunity to actually do some good.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:25 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Hopefully they will highlight the Self Protection advantage of firearms also.
You're kidding right? They "partnered" with Everytown for Gun Safety, a 100% anti-gun (not gun safety) organization headed by Michael Bloomberg, former anti-gun NY Mayor, and money provider for other anti-gun groups such as Moms Demand Action. Also the founder of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, an organization whose Mayor members had many run ins with the law and firearms violations.

This will be nothing but an anti 2A campaign supported by people who know nothing of the subject on which they offer their irrelevant opinion.

Last edited by NHDave; 12-24-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-24-2015, 08:33 AM

998 posts, read 664,912 times
NBA and NFL players alone commit such a large number of violent crimes with firearms. So I would suggest that they first stop committing crimes before creating an ad campaign. Their heart is in the right place, though.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:39 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
They should do a commercial with Gilbert Arenas, I'm sure he'd be down for the cause.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
If the NBA is specifically addressing African American youth who are committing most of the gun violence, then I maybe it's a good idea.
Spike Lee has done exactly that, he has been an outspoken critic of black violence, that was the focus in his recently released movie Chi-raq regarding Chicagos South Side. This is a positive way to get to black youths in inner cities that look up to basketball players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies