Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:58 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,024,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Come on, I know this forum has like 1000 times more conservatives than liberals.
No it doesn't. At least according to the polls I've seen.
Just because there is a good amount of criticism of the president means nothing; look at his national approval ratings on various topics. His cult followers also lurk more than before, for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 10:02 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,390,707 times
Quote:
Come on, I know this forum has like 1000 times more conservatives than liberals.

I'm open-minded about carpet bombing the middle east. Explain to me how it will work this time. I'm all yours.

I'm conservative. It won't.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,891,898 times
Quote:
You don't know the difference between target bombing and carpet bombing?
Oh!! target bombing hospitals and Iraqi soldiers.......got it, sorry for the mistake!

Old 12-24-2015, 10:24 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,448,497 times
Quote:
Full disclosure. I'm from a country that was indiscriminately carpet bombed to hell by American bombers. My father was fighting the communists along side the Americans. In the end, carpet bombing didn't help and the war was lost.

Since the most popular conservative candidates are the ones that have been advocating carpet bombing the middle east and make the sand glow, would conservatives like to explain to me how things will be different this time? I'm open-minded about this. Convince me.
They rely on the ignorance of the common Republican voter, who want to hear red-meat nonsense like carpet bombing a country with no thoughts on what will arise from the ashes.

History tells us exactly what will fill the vacuum: Anger, hatred of the United States, and more terrorism.

Guess who makes more money from the fallout? Defense contractors. Guess who is in bed with Republicans? Defense contractors. Guess who suffers, excluding the already dead and injured? The rest of the world.

If you want to know why the world hates this country, peer inside the Republican Party.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:26 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,984,205 times
The last time the U.S did any "carpet" bombing was Operation Linebacker II during Vietnam. This is a very ineffective way of bombing, it does however have a psychological effect on the civilian population. With today munitions there is no need for carpet bombing.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:37 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,984,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
They rely on the ignorance of the common Republican voter, who want to hear red-meat nonsense like carpet bombing a country with no thoughts on what will arise from the ashes.

History tells us exactly what will fill the vacuum: Anger, hatred of the United States, and more terrorism.

Guess who makes more money from the fallout? Defense contractors. Guess who is in bed with Republicans? Defense contractors. Guess who suffers, excluding the already dead and injured? The rest of the world.

If you want to know why the world hates this country, peer inside the Republican Party.
Those damn Republicans always getting us into wars, and fueling the war machine. Lets look at some recent history.

WWI - Wilson, Democrat
WWII - FDR, Democrat
Korea - Truman - Democrat
Vietnam - Kennedy/Johnson - Democrat
Bosnia - Clinton - Democrat
Iraq I - Bush - Republican
Iraq II - Bush 43 - Republican
Afghanistan - Bush 43 - Republican

From my count it seems like the Democrats like to go to war.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:52 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,564,497 times
Carpet bombing is effective where large army's are located and where large industrial complexes producing war materials are targeted. It's not effective when used against a resistance that employees gorilla tactics as their main war fighting strategy.

Suggesting carpet bombing in the ME sounds better in an emotional appeal but as an effective method to produce desired results would be a complete failure. It could selectively be useful to disrupt supply lines creating a shortage of arms, food, and other equipment needed to make an army effective. If those supply lines are known and used frequently and the bombing is sustained with both daylight and night time raids, then carpet bombing when used in combination with a ground assault of a smaller force against a larger army could be victorious where the smaller force has air superiority and uninterrupted supply lines.
Anyone that thinks it is a single handed method that would defeat a determined enemy would be disappointed. Over a long period of time it would quite expensive with poor results. There is no silver bullet.
That's why the military should be given an objective with the authority to carry it out without interference by politics. We don't do that anymore and that is why we don't win anymore either. Too many think we can fight a humane or nice war and aren't able to make the hard decisions necessary to end conflicts with decisive victory. We end up bogged down losing more lives and treasure with a never ending presence in places we don't want to be. That is what nice guys do !!!

Old 12-24-2015, 10:59 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,891,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

Democrats Warm to Defense Industry as Republicans Turn Away
What's really happening is that the intelligentsia of the Republican Party is turning away from the defense industry, even as Democrats rediscover the large pool of party faithful employed in defense plants.

The shift isn't hard to understand, because conservative ideology makes Republicans suspicious of any enterprise dependent on the government, while Democrats are naturally attracted to the unionized workforce of the defense sector, one of the last bastions of organized labor in the industrial economy. If you look at the regions where Democrats enjoy greatest electoral strength -- the Northeast, the West Coast, the industrial Midwest -- those are also places where the defense industry is strong

Quote:
Where did you get this idea?

More Americans believe Obama is not respected by world leaders - CBS News

Poll: Obama 'worst president' since World War II

Old 12-24-2015, 11:47 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,091,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Oh!! target bombing hospitals and Iraqi soldiers.......got it, sorry for the mistake!
Do you believe Obama was holding a joystick controlling the missiles when those things happened?

Edit.

And do you believe carpet bombing will miss the hospitals and Iraqi soldiers?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:47 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,448,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Those damn Republicans always getting us into wars, and fueling the war machine. Lets look at some recent history.

WWI - Wilson, Democrat
WWII - FDR, Democrat
Korea - Truman - Democrat
Vietnam - Kennedy/Johnson - Democrat
Bosnia - Clinton - Democrat
Iraq I - Bush - Republican
Iraq II - Bush 43 - Republican
Afghanistan - Bush 43 - Republican

From my count it seems like the Democrats like to go to war.
Your knowledge of history is limited, as evidenced by this post. No need for me to explain. I would advise you to look at military spending in the 20th Century, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies