Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:00 AM

28,627 posts, read 18,682,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
this subject has been beating to death on the talk circuit, its not the carpet bombing that is the question, but the killing of innocent lives that happen to be in the wrong place. instead of holding back the military 70%, you got to accept some innocent might die. with the enemy hiding in churches, schools and hospitals fill with innocent. sometime you just going have to take out the churches and schools to kill the high command.
'Way too much lay ignorance about actual targeting policies and legalities, particularly in this age of target accuracy still far outstripping intelligence accuracy.

The military very well accepts the fact that there will be unavoidable "collateral damage" when targeting enemy forces necessary to be destroyed to accomplish the mission. We do not practice a "kill 'em all" warfare--and we never really have. We had been hampered before with inaccurate weapons.

Nor do you really want us to. You don't want men who have sunk to a "kill 'em all" level of morality coming back home, moving next door to you, and marrying your daughters.

Under the Law of Armed Conflict, a church, school, or hospital being actively used by enemy military forces becomes a legal target, but we as Americans do not suddenly everything

Sometimes the objective is to destroy the enemy's ability to move petroleum products, but if that's actually being done by civilians, if we can destroy the capability without killing the civilians, that is the path we take. This is especially true when we can target as accurately and precisely as we can today.

Read this Wikipedia article on the bombing of the Amiriyah facility in Iraq during the first Gulf War. I can tell you personally--because I was there--if we in the targeting cell had known this building was being dual-used as a bomb shelter, we would not have struck it. Or at least we would have tried to strike it at a time the civilians were not there. We've done that quite often--struck targets when we could figure the fewest civilians would be present.

Quote:
It either some innocent die, or boots on the ground and some of our soldiers die
If we have a real chance to kill "high command" with the risk of killing innocents, we do take it. That's why we go after them with drones whenever possible, even with an undesirably high level of inadvertent casualties. Where have you been that you haven't heard of that?

But that's when the intelligence is very, very good and the likelihood of getting the "high command" is very very high. We don't casually bomb buildings with civilians on the offhand chance that someone important may be there at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 11:26 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,715,855 times
Carpet bombing sounds good on TV.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:44 AM

38,627 posts, read 26,311,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Full disclosure. I'm from a country that was indiscriminately carpet bombed to hell by American bombers. My father was fighting the communists along side the Americans. In the end, carpet bombing didn't help and the war was lost.

Since the most popular conservative candidates are the ones that have been advocating carpet bombing the middle east and make the sand glow, would conservatives like to explain to me how things will be different this time? I'm open-minded about this. Convince me.

We were at a disadvantage to Hồ Chí Minh since he was able to imprison, kill or otherwise neutralize his domestic political opponents.

Since we did, as predicted by Hồ Chí Minh, lose the war at home, carpet bombing, effective or not, isn`t really the issue.

"Indiscriminately"?

Old 12-25-2015, 11:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
We know what was said, but it's been covered numerous times in this thread, but several people, that he doesn't mean he would literally carpet bomb the ME. Why do Democrats have such a hard time with this? .
So hes either lying when he says that or hes too stupid to know what carpet bombing means,what else does he say that he doesnt mean?
Dems dont have a hard time repeating what he said,videos of his calling for carpet bombing till the sand glows are in abundance.
As said before if his rhetoric is what you seek in a presidential candidate by all means vote for the man..

Old 12-25-2015, 12:41 PM

45,137 posts, read 26,325,093 times
We've been carpet bombing them, but in slow motion. There are plenty of before and after pics online of the devistation.
All it has done is create more terrorists. Big suprise huh?

Old 12-25-2015, 02:36 PM

7,477 posts, read 6,224,235 times
Quote:
Full disclosure. I'm from a country that was indiscriminately carpet bombed to hell by American bombers. My father was fighting the communists along side the Americans. In the end, carpet bombing didn't help and the war was lost.

Since the most popular conservative candidates are the ones that have been advocating carpet bombing the middle east and make the sand glow, would conservatives like to explain to me how things will be different this time? I'm open-minded about this. Convince me.
I don't know that carpet bombing will cure their problems, but the glowing sand bit, worked in the one country we tried it on. Haven't heard a peep out of them.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:49 PM

29,477 posts, read 22,494,633 times
What I find fascinating is the hypocrisy of some in regards to things like carpet bombings, drone attacks, and other forms of remote war and weaponry engaged in by the U.S. military, that can and has led to innocent civilians being killed.

Some will minimize collateral damage from such acts, saying such things as it's war and collateral damage can't be avoided, tough luck.

Yet, if the other side uses suicide bombers to personally attack targets, or uses IED's, that's considered cowardly and despicable.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:32 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Carpet bombing won't work. We aren't dealing with an organized empire like the Nazis or Imperial Japan. Terrorists don't answer to the government. They act because there is an unstable government. It's like going after street gangs, expect we don't know how the exact locations, just the nations where they are at.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:17 PM

28,627 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don't know that carpet bombing will cure their problems, but the glowing sand bit, worked in the one country we tried it on. Haven't heard a peep out of them.
Actually even that required years of occupation to make it "stick."

Old 12-25-2015, 04:36 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,182,912 times
Quote:

It will kill terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies