U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:47 PM

29,512 posts, read 16,396,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I must admit, I was perfectly happy with my healthcare prior to the implementation of Obamacare. Infact, most people I knew were. Certainly there were some issues, however they could have been solved by the private sector. Fact is there was never any "real" competition among providers.

Hold onto your wallets, there are more increases coming in the very near future.
This is true because we have broken a very basic economic model. For most products like shoes, the consumer pays the entire price for their own shoes. That encourages them to shop for the best deal that meets their needs. Producers price their products to optimize revenue and profit. So the free market eventually strikes a perfect balance. Bad producers go out of business, consumers get the product they want for a fair price and good producers get the revenue they want by producing good products.

That model works quite well until you get the government involved. Obamacare has totally destroyed this free market balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 02:47 PM

33,827 posts, read 18,394,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
The GOP Congress could come up with any sort of alternative, but they won't. They know Obamcare is better than un-Christian "let them get sick and die" system we had before.
What a crock of crap....who has been in charge of congress, by the years? Congress (both sides) had plenty of chances to do what they wanted, oh and guess what, hillarycare went where?

Old 12-26-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
The GOP Congress could come up with any sort of alternative, but they won't. They know Obamcare is better than un-Christian "let them get sick and die" system we had before.
You really should have read before you posted that lie. It's quite easy.

Forbes Welcome

Old 12-26-2015, 03:09 PM

33,827 posts, read 18,394,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You really should have read before you posted that lie. It's quite easy.

Forbes Welcome

Funny thing about MMs posting, still not everyone has insurance....so I guess people are still dying, on obamas plan....

Just in case people have forgotten:

Quote:
"My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is that the amount of money you will spend on premiums will be less," Obama said. "If you are one of 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will after this plan becomes law."

Old 12-26-2015, 03:14 PM

5,279 posts, read 4,381,777 times
Obama knew exactly what would happen when he had Big Health & Big Insurance devise Obamacare:

1. Big Business profits continue to skyrocket, with an additional trillion on top of already-absurd profits, which the Robber Baron CEOs and his handful of cronies will appropriate 99.9% of (making sure the little guy with stocks in his retirement plan can't even get that tiny benefit).

2. The American people pay far more money for less coverage.

3. The bureaucracy of Big Health and Big Government grow even more, so that everything regarding health care and prescriptions is even more of a stressful nightmare than it was before--and the cost of said bureaucracies must of course skyrocket also.

4. The few remaining taxpayers lose even more of their paychecks to pay for premium subsidies and bigger bureaucracies, and the national debt increases even more--which, in Obama-world, means the costs simply "disappear" and no longer exist.

5. Naturally, not a single one of the problems with our health care and insurance system was fixed (or addressed)--no tort liability reform, no minimization of useless middlemen, no actual reform or improvement.

Just like Obama wanted--America gets scr**ed again!

Old 12-26-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Funny thing about MMs posting, still not everyone has insurance....so I guess people are still dying, on obamas plan....

Just in case people have forgotten:
"My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is that the amount of money you will spend on premiums will be less," Obama said. "If you are one of 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will after this plan becomes law."
Yes, when a liar talks we should never be surprised that he's telling a lie.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:14 PM

30,194 posts, read 16,534,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
In my zip code, minimum plan for family of 4 is $8500 a year.

A plan that doesn't kill you with deductibles more like $15k.
Incredible!

Who exactly is supposed to afford these premiums. PLUS the $$$ it cost on top if you actually use it for anything.[/quote]

So, either way, you're screwed. For most people, that leave very little left for other expenses. Obamcare is literally putting people in the "poor house."

Old 12-26-2015, 04:30 PM

5,141 posts, read 3,667,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Incredible!

Who exactly is supposed to afford these premiums. PLUS the $$$ it cost on top if you actually use it for anything.

So, either way, you're screwed. For most people, that leave very little left for other expenses. Obamcare is literally putting people in the "poor house."

Yep, ours just went up to $12,200 per year with a $12,000 deductible. I'm cancelling Monday morning. We'll have to take our chances without insurance...

Last edited by flamadiddle; 12-26-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 04:47 PM

792 posts, read 515,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is true because we have broken a very basic economic model. For most products like shoes, the consumer pays the entire price for their own shoes. That encourages them to shop for the best deal that meets their needs. Producers price their products to optimize revenue and profit. So the free market eventually strikes a perfect balance. Bad producers go out of business, consumers get the product they want for a fair price and good producers get the revenue they want by producing good products.

That model works quite well until you get the government involved. Obamacare has totally destroyed this free market balance.
You are comparing healthcare to shoes???? Really?? Lets us first clarify something first. Free market only exists if there is a VOLUNTARY exchange of good and services between one person with another.

Lets us take your example of shoes. I see a pair of shoes I like, but hey are a little too expensive for my taste. I go to another shop for the same pair of shoes, and they are cheaper, but still to expensive for me. And I got to another shop, and still too expensive. The shoes are just too much....woe is me....how can I move on?

Quite simple actually, I just decide to not buy the shoes until they drop in price or I never buy them period because they are just too much. But you know the greatest part about need being able to buy those shoes I wanted?? I can live my life perfectly normal with out those shoes and in fact, in a month or two I will probably forget about it and move in. Life goes on.

Now let us take a look at this scenario when it come to healthcare. I am a healthy young 20 year old with out any family history of cancer or other diseases. I work every day and eat healthy. Suddenly, I start getting massive headaches and I start losing part of my vision. I go to the doctor who runs some tests and lo and behold, I have a tumor the size of a golf ball that is spreading. What are my options? Hospital A is charging 150K for for complete treatment while hospital B is charging 120K and hospital C is charging 110K . Well, I can't afford treatment so I go with out and I die. No, my life didn't continue, I died. In this scenario, I do not have a choice. I NEED treatment and I can not go with out it or I die. There is nothing voluntary about this transaction .

That is the biggest distinction between the economics of health care compared to just about every thing else is that I can do with out a car or TV or latest Ipod and still survive. It is not a necessity. And when it comes to necessities, even food and shelter is still in a separate category from health care. I could possibly learn to hunt and forage for my own food and I could even learn to build rudimentary shelter.

But under no circumstances, can I ever be self reliant in treating my own brain tumor nor can I live with out the treatment, literally. People need to start seeing the fact that medial care is a basic necessity, more than just about anything else. You can not do with out it and in many circumstances, you can not be self reliant and heal your self.

Point is, free markets will never resolve our health care issues in this country and many other first world countries realized this along time ago. I just don't see why this country can not realize the same thing.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:00 PM

17,027 posts, read 9,510,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I bought a new gun with the $2,500 Obamacare saved me a year.

Obama has mine accruing in a bank account set aside just for me until I'm ready to withdraw all of my wonderful savings...........right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies