U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:24 PM

2,748 posts, read 1,897,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" and allow policies to be sold across state lines"

They already do.

All you have to do is get a state license to do so and follow that states laws.

I had BC/BS shield in MD. When I moved to NC, I became a BC/BS customer. NOTHING in my policy changed.
Was this recently? What kind of state license? However in my experience, a few years back, (pre Obamacare) this was NOT the case. Individual states had different requirements for coverage. When I was doing research I found many differences between the states. Some required materity coverage, others did not, some were required to cover things like hair transplants. You could not go to BC/BS and say I want the New Jersey policy when you lived in NC. A few years backmy BC/BS policy was costing me under $200/month in NC. I was healthy and in my mid 50's. It was not a bare bones stripped down policy. Friends of mine in NJ were paying more than 3 times what I was paying. Do you think they would have liked to be able to purchase a BC/BS policy from NC?

Fact is there has NEVER been true competition in the industry.
Fast forward a few years and my policy now costs triple. Yes I'm a few years older but still healthy and never made a claim---ever! I am fortunate in the sense that I can afford it. I know many others who can't and pay even higher rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
How would single payer control costs? Medicare has not controlled costs.
Controlling costs are simple---ration healthcare!

Old 12-31-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
If the health care lobby is setting prices, then that would constitute a failure in the program.

Of course, Republicans want to convince us that price controls are impossible, because they want pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers to be able to exploit a captive market.
Price controls are ineffective. Just curious, did you ever study economics???

Old 12-31-2015, 03:47 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,156,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Price controls are ineffective.
Sometimes they are. Sometimes they aren't.

We've had price controls for agriculture for ages, and it has worked fine. Countries all over the developed world have had price controls for healthcare and their systems, costs, and health outcomes are typically better than ours.

Sometimes the free market produces morally unacceptable outcomes, it's just the way it is.

Quote:
Just curious, did you ever study economics???
I did indeed. Why, are you a healthcare economist by trade? Am I speaking with an expert? Maybe you could explain why price controls on healthcare that work all around the world would inexplicably not-work in the United States.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM

29,518 posts, read 16,437,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Despite the many dubious anecdotes from city-data right-wingers, premiums rose at a higher annual rare BEFORE Obamacare. This year, the national average increase for the benchmark plan, according to HHS, is 7.5 percent. That's for the 37 states using healthcare.gov. In the 30 largest markets, representing about 60 percent of enrollees, the rate increase is 6.3 percent.

7.5% vs 13.2% annual increases in the 9 years before Obama. I'll take ACA, thanks.
Averages like your quote are useless. The average weight of a fat person and a starving person is a healthy weight but that is a useless statistic.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Sometimes they are. Sometimes they aren't.

We've had price controls for agriculture for ages, and it has worked fine. .
Actually they haven't worked fine. They screw consumers and stifle innovation and competition.

Agriculture price controls are one of the worst. Another good example is Uber and how it exposed the disaster that surrounds government controlled taxi businesses.

Here is a good read on price controls;

The Problems of Price Controls | Cato Institute

Government should NEVER control prices.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Price controls are ineffective. Just curious, did you ever study economics???
You are correct. Read this;

and this;

https://reason.com/archives/2016/01/...rug-innovation

Old 01-02-2016, 07:00 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,156,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually they haven't worked fine. They screw consumers and stifle innovation and competition.

Agriculture price controls are one of the worst. Another good example is Uber and how it exposed the disaster that surrounds government controlled taxi businesses.

Here is a good read on price controls;

Government should NEVER control prices.
"Good Read," he says..

and points me to the CATO institute.

I bet I can dig up something equally credible from Pravda that speaks to the effectiveness of price controls.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:31 AM

4,972 posts, read 1,789,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Obamacare plans put big dent in customers' wallets

...that's actually very kind - it's one of the democrats' big lies.
The Democrats spun ACA as "health care reform" when in reality it increased the cost for many Americans, and funneled untold billions into the coffers of the insurance companies from the wallets of the newly insured. The only true benefit to beneficiaries was getting rid of the pre-existing condition restrictions.

And now the Republicans will step in with their "solution". Want to place a bet who will benefit from their solution? I am betting it won't be you unless you make more than a mil a year.

Not a dimes worth of difference in the two parties, they are both owned lock stock and barrel by the health care industry.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:41 AM

44,480 posts, read 17,762,937 times
Quote:
I bet I can dig up something equally credible from Pravda that speaks to the effectiveness of price controls.
How about giving us a specific example of a price control that has worked for agriculture over the long run.

As soon as government controls the price of something regardless of market demand, and costs to produce, then one of two things happen.
  • Set price is too low - shortages.
  • Set price is too high - over production, government ends up being responsible for the excess amount.
Government Cheese is a great example of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies