U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2015, 09:21 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread
 
5,711 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Reputation: 1941

Advertisements

The New York Times says it's time:
_"As Oil Money Melts, Alaska Mulls First Income Tax in 35 Years"_

This didn't help:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/judge-allows-alaska-governor-to-move-ahead-with-medicaid-expansion/2015/08/28/db2266ba-4db1-11e5-bfb9-9736d04fc8e4_story.html

Nor UAF's Women's and Gender Studies Program, nor its Gravina Island Bridge to Nowhere,....

 
Old 12-25-2015, 10:09 PM
 
26,302 posts, read 12,780,504 times
Reputation: 12539
What complete and utter nonsense. the vast majority of that is paid for by federal funds, and often saves states money. trying to conflate it with the income tax thats a result of lowered oil revenue is completely bonkers. Seriously? it hasn't even happened yet, and yet somehow the massive deficit they are facing is related to it?
 
Old 12-25-2015, 10:21 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread
 
5,711 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What complete and utter nonsense. the vast majority of that is paid for by federal funds, and often saves states money. trying to conflate it with the income tax thats a result of lowered oil revenue is completely bonkers. Seriously? it hasn't even happened yet, and yet somehow the massive deficit they are facing is related to it?
Medicaid expansions have resulted in far higher enrollments than projected for those states that elected to do so, putting pressure on their respective budgets for the share incurred by them--just as is happening now with Alaska:
State-By-State Look At Medicaid Expansion Numbers | Kaiser Health News
 
Old 12-25-2015, 10:27 PM
 
26,302 posts, read 12,780,504 times
Reputation: 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Medicaid expansions have resulted in far higher enrollments than projected state by state, putting pressure on their respective budgets for the share incurred by them--just as is happening now with Alaska:
State-By-State Look At Medicaid Expansion Numbers | Kaiser Health News
And virtually none of it costs the state government anything. 10% is nothing, those same states get even more costs from uncovered medical costs.

its a 2.8% increase in medicaid spending for a state according to the CBO. The lewin report for Alaska puts the 2016 cost estimate at 14 million I think?

The Alaska state deficit for 2015? 3.5 BILLION.

Do the math. This is a trivial complaint by you. you really dont have any comprehension of the Alaska issues, but by golly you think the ACA medicaid expansion is somehow a source worth discussing
 
Old 12-25-2015, 10:37 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread
 
5,711 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And virtually none of it costs the state government anything. 10% is nothing, those same states get even more costs from uncovered medical costs.

its a 2.8% increase in medicaid spending for a state according to the CBO. The lewin report for Alaska puts the 2016 cost estimate at 14 million I think?

The Alaska state deficit for 2015? 3.5 BILLION.

Do the math. This is a trivial complaint by you. you really dont have any comprehension of the Alaska issues, but by golly you think the ACA medicaid expansion is somehow a source worth discussing
A $3.5 billion budget deficit is a lot for state with only 736,732 (2014 est.) people.

These states didn't decline to expand their Medicaid programs for no reason, greywar:
http://kff.org/health-reform/slide/c...sion-decision/
The up-front money from the government was designed to hook them--and they recognized that.

You're the same commentator who maintains that a drone filled public airspace doesn't represent risk. And that anesthesia robots are the wave of the near future.
 
Old 12-25-2015, 10:44 PM
 
26,302 posts, read 12,780,504 times
Reputation: 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
A $3.5 billion budget deficit is a lot for state with only 736,732 (2014 est.) people.

These states didn't decline to expand Medicaid for no reason, greywar:
Current Status of State Medicaid Expansion Decisions | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

You're the same commentator who maintains that a drone filled public airspace doesn't represent risk. And that anesthesia robots are the wave of the near future.
And you're the same commentor that thinks sandy hook is a false flag operation. And you are misrepresenting my anesthesia comments. But of course you'd rather attack me then my statements, because you do not have any real response to them do you?

They declined medicaid expansion because of political reasons, not financial. Just as your argument here is not about the financial part of it really.
 
Old 12-25-2015, 10:50 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread
 
5,711 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And you're the same commentor that thinks sandy hook is a false flag operation. And you are misrepresenting my anesthesia comments. But of course you'd rather attack me then my statements, because you do not have any real response to them do you?

They declined medicaid expansion because of political reasons, not financial. Just as your argument here is not about the financial part of it really.
States received only promise by the federal government to bear the full cost for the first three years, and at least 90% thereafter.

That doesn't help when enrollments wildly exceed projections--which happened--and those states are on the hook for that much more. It was very much a fiduciary decision on the part of those that abstained.
 
Old 12-25-2015, 10:52 PM
 
26,302 posts, read 12,780,504 times
Reputation: 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
States received only promise by the federal government to bear the full cost for the first three years, and at least 90% thereafter.

That doesn't help when enrollments wildly exceed projections--which happened--and those states are on the hook for that much more. It was very much a fiduciary decision on the part of those that abstained.
I seriously doubt anyone believe this nonsense.

Anyways I will leave it to others, I am not going to bump this nonsense for you.

Have some happy holidays mm4, we may disagree, but I still hope your holidays were great!
 
Old 12-26-2015, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,412 posts, read 6,177,782 times
Reputation: 11239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
A $3.5 billion budget deficit is a lot for state with only 736,732 (2014 est.) people.

These states didn't decline to expand their Medicaid programs for no reason, greywar:
Current Status of State Medicaid Expansion Decisions | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
The up-front money from the government was designed to hook them--and they recognized that.

You're the same commentator who maintains that a drone filled public airspace doesn't represent risk. And that anesthesia robots are the wave of the near future.
But a few billion here and there is nothing to leftists. For them, the "as long as its not my money" applies.
 
Old 12-26-2015, 10:44 AM
 
11,922 posts, read 5,665,010 times
Reputation: 6938
The Governor of Alaska has been a very busy boy.

He ignored the Legislature and "decreed" that Medicaid would expand in Alaska by 138%, which means Poverty Levels increase by 138%.
He wants to implement a State Income Tax (and will "decree" it).
He wants to take over the Permanent Fund Dividends - cut it in half for the Citizens and the Government keeps the rest to SPEND-SPEND-SPEND.
He wants to raise Fuel Taxes, Sin Taxes (alcohol & tobacco), Tourism Taxes, Mining Taxes, Fishing/Hunting Taxes
- TAX-TAX-TAX.

He's formed some sort of "alliance" with the Natives & the Unions - claims to be an "Independent", but made a DEAL with the Democrats for their Candidate for Governor to drop out of the race, and become his Lt. Governor.
How KEWL is that!!! Brilliant move.

Alaska's problems are just getting started - but they actually voted for all this and will have to live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top