Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 03:07 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times

Advertisements

Modern times - where miracles have gone from parting oceans to Jesus on toast, and persecution has gone from nailed to a cross to a private company won't play my video to a captive audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 03:31 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Not sure how I feel about this piece. He didn't provide any statistics to back this assertion.

Douglas Murray on the persecution christians face | Express Comment | Comment | Daily Express
Offhand, I suppose he's right. He's speaking world-wide.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:09 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Great job commenting on an article without reading it!
I wasn't commenting on the article just making a general statement. Now if you would like to read my observations about the article in general...

Quote:
Anybody doubting that fact should just look around the world we live in. Christians are the victims of 80 per cent of all acts of religious discrimination in the world.

Over the past few years Christians have been the victims of persecution in 102 countries - more than half of the countries in the world.
Based upon what?!?!?

Based upon real evidence, here in the U.S. 77% of all hate crimes are committed against racial and ethnic minorities. If we are looking for religious persecution Christians aren't even in the same ball park as Jews and Muslims in that order based upon FBI hate crime statistics.

Quote:
Worst hit in recent years have been the Christians of the Middle East.
Nearby in Syria and Iraq it is Christian sites and people that are being destroyed.

Islamist State fighters have been executing christians in Iraq and Syria
It is now a year-and-a-half since IS captured the town of Mosul, the historic centre of Iraqi Christianity.
Oh, my... As if the violence in the middle east isn't persecuting every inhabitant! Since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Sunni Muslims have been subjected to displacement, sectarian violence and ethnic cleaning by Shia. Shia, have been targeted by Sunni Insurgents, the Mosque and religious symbols, historic sites of both have been targeted for destruction. ISIS has murdered Sunnis, Shia, Kurds, Yazidis and somehow Christians deserve some special consideration?

The article cites 500,000 Christian Iraqis have fled the country, well there 1.5 million Iraqis of all faiths and beliefs that have been displaced by the sectarian violence. As for Syria, how does one even begin to break down who has been a victim of religious and sectarian violence.

All across the globe, religious and ethnic minorities are being persecuted from Hazara in Afghanistan to the Rohingya of Myanmar, if their is a war against anyone, it is the war of man against his fellow man an issue that Christians used to give a damn about, instead of setting themselves out as some special cases for their own private pity party.

But if Christians are being so persecuted, then just think of it as God's righteous retribution for the sins committed in his name by Christians throughout history. Isn't that how it is suppose to work?

Last edited by TheWiseWino; 12-26-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 04:58 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I wasn't commenting on the article just making a general statement. Now if you would like to read my observations about the article in general...

Based upon what?!?!?

Based upon real evidence, here in the U.S. 77% of all hate crimes are committed against racial and ethnic minorities. If we are looking for religious persecution Christians aren't even in the same ball park as Jews and Muslims in that order based upon FBI hate crime statistics.

Oh, my... As if the violence in the middle east isn't persecuting every inhabitant! Since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Sunni Muslims have been subjected to displacement, sectarian violence and ethnic cleaning by Shia. Shia, have been targeted by Sunni Insurgents, the Mosque and religious symbols, historic sites of both have been targeted for destruction. ISIS has murdered Sunnis, Shia, Kurds, Yazidis and somehow Christians deserve some special consideration?

The article cites 500,000 Christian Iraqis have fled the country, well there 1.5 million Iraqis of all faiths and beliefs that have been displaced by the sectarian violence. As for Syria, how does one even begin to break down who has been a victim of religious and sectarian violence.

All across the globe, religious and ethnic minorities are being persecuted from Hazara in Afghanistan to the Rohingya of Myanmar, if their is a war against anyone, it is the war of man against his fellow man an issue that Christians used to give a damn about, instead of setting themselves out as some special cases for their own private pity party.

But if Christians are being so persecuted, then just think of it as God's righteous retribution for the sins committed in his name by Christians throughout history. Isn't that how it is suppose to work?
Well said!!!

Old 12-26-2015, 05:42 PM

26,493 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Nope, I caught you using a knee jerk liberal reaction without reading the article and considering it.

The article does have a legitimate point as outlined by my several links including from the NY Times.

Christians are being persecuted at such a rate in the Middle East that they are becoming extinct in some areas there.

The sad part is, many don't care.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Sorry, he clearly didn't read the article (or has extremely poor logical thinking and reasoning). You seem to be in the same boat.
Sorry, the author of the article specifically claimed that christians were being increasingly persecuted in the UK, right along with what is going on in the ME.

FTR, I don't like religious persecution. No matter who does it. But to claim that a privately-owned cinema is persecuting christians because it chooses to not show a christian-oriented film is pathetic on its face. Not to mention incredibly insulting to those who actually are suffering for their beliefs. And, BTW, that includes muslims who are suffering at the hands of other muslims.

Nation

Old 12-26-2015, 06:41 PM

26,493 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Sorry, the author of the article specifically claimed that christians were being increasingly persecuted in the UK, right along with what is going on in the ME.

FTR, I don't like religious persecution. No matter who does it. But to claim that a privately-owned cinema is persecuting christians because it chooses to not show a christian-oriented film is pathetic on its face. Not to mention incredibly insulting to those who actually are suffering for their beliefs. And, BTW, that includes muslims who are suffering at the hands of other muslims.

Nation
Sorry, but TheWiseWino clearly referenced how persecution of Christians can't be happening in the US, by mentioning invented statistics like "99.9%" of congress are Christians.

You are dodging about and ignoring this, because you are guilty of what he did too.

If you read the article, his point is baseless. As it is not about Christians getting targeted in the US.

It is about many Middle Easterners making a point to kill off Christianity in the Middle East, Christianity losing its influence in the UK and a brief reference to similar countries, Western Christians looking the other way as Christianity loses its influence and it is even seen as discriminatory against Muslims to favor fleeing Christians that are getting offed in the M.E.

Even letting in Muslim immigrants that throw Christians over board on the boat trip to Europe as a sign of cultural clash with Western Civilization.

Whether or not the US has "99.9%" of its congress members as Christian does not off set anything said in the article, as he in fact says that Christians in power in the West look the other way on these things.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Nope, I caught you using a knee jerk liberal reaction without reading the article and considering it.
If that makes you feel better, call it what you will.

Quote:
The article does have a legitimate point as outlined by my several links including from the NY Times.

Christians are being persecuted at such a rate in the Middle East that they are becoming extinct in some areas there.

The sad part is, many don't care.
You're right I don't care, what I care about is that people, HUMAN beings are being persecuted, murdered, and oppressed all across the middle east. I care about the fact that ancient HUMAN history is being destroyed in the name some mythological being. Do I have a special concern for Shiites, Sunnis, Yazidiz, Hazara, Kurds, Alawites, Sunnis, Christians, Jews, atheist, no, I don't have a special category for humans that need to be protected and those that do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
This!
"Leading cinema chains claimed that this ancient prayer could "offend people".

And that is where the Christian faith is losing its voice in our culture and how Christianity is being marginalised. No cinema chain or public body would dare to ban any other expression of religious faith from their screens."
You think that as "persecution" goes that I would give a bloody damn about that? Seriously?

Old 12-26-2015, 07:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Sorry, but TheWiseWino clearly referenced how persecution of Christians can't be happening in the US, by mentioning invented statistics like "99.9%" of congress are Christians.

You are dodging about and ignoring this, because you are guilty of what he did too.

If you read the article, his point is baseless. As it is not about Christians getting targeted in the US.
I never said it was.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely right, it's 91.8%, my bad.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies