Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 06:43 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
This is dumb and dumber as usual. Only recently, probably 50 years ago were blacks allowed into institutions in education, politics, etc. .
Wow, only 50 years! That changes everything.

What do your people need to renounce crime and pay attention in school? 150? 300? 1000? Give us a time frame here.

You make a complete ass out of yourself. Most people start striving the second they are given the chance.

Quote:
So slavery happened, blacks were free and that's it. No it didn't happen this way and it wasn't that simplistic.
Did it take 150 years for the Jews to recover from the Holocaust? How about the two genocides they experinced before? The Japanese needed 50 years to recover from atomiic bombs? The Germans from having their country detroyed and partitioned? The Mexicans from the epidemiological disater unleashed on them by contact with the old world?

And on and on. It all comes down to the black special plea. We just can't be judged because a long, long, long time ago our ancestors were slaves. Well, you ought to thank them because now you enjoy every advantage of living in a country with rule of law, a social safety net, free education, opportunity and special rights rather than some sub saharan hell hole.

But you won't. You are going to do your part to keep them on the plantation.

Quote:
Many post slavery policies existed to keep inequality in place. I also highly doubt the average black person is saying, "Oh, well I can't get a job because my ancestor was a slave." Pointing out that racism exists does not mean someone is pointing a finger at a guilty white person.
Please. W are talking about today. Black people get every advantage and are falling again rather than rising. Violence is up dramatically again in inner cities, and studies show that ESL students do better in English than blacks. And when anyone tries to hold blacks accountable, they get the special plea as above. Now you have given the plea, and want to run around and claim that black people do not make the plea. Just pipe down.

Quote:
Asian immigrants Latino immigrants have a completely different history from blacks and say Native Americans.
Right, they have it far harder in ways that you and yours cannot imagine. You are born here with all the privleges of being a citizen including free education, a social safety net, Obamacare, Obamaphones, rule of law, affirmative action, white guilt, handicaps on your SATs and on and on. They come here with noting, not even able to speak the language, and sprint past you.

Forgot though, you have a "differnt history (read:slavery) which you are claiming that no one claims effect you as you are claiming it effects you. Whatever.

Quote:
Native Americans also have a high rate of poverty, children born out of wedlock, alcoholism, high school dropouts. Gee I wonder why. Lolol. If you want to find a group that has conditions somewhat similar to blacks you can look at this group. Comparing them to immigrants from China, Italy, Poland, or Mexico is not only pretty stupid, but makes little sense. I also doubt a Native American is blaming a white person for the conditions and experiences of their group.
We aren't talking about Native Americans. Claiming that someone else is doing just as poorly is not a valid point.

Quote:
Referencing history when done correctly makes more sense but many are too simple to really do it correctly.
You don't know anything about history other than it is a convenient excuse.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:46 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I didn't realize that I destroyed your earlier comment. haha.
Your rants aren't destroying anything.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:46 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is called racism and is what white privilege means. People shouldn't have to name their kids white sounding names to protect them from racism. What happens when blacks start giving their kids white people names, how will whites be racist to them then?
I'll say this: people born in the US with normal sounding names have the rep of doing BETTER in life, REGARDLESS of race. If that makes me a racist; I really don't care because it's the truth.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'll say this: people born in the US with normal sounding names have the rep of doing BETTER in life, REGARDLESS of race. If that makes me a racist; I really don't care because it's the truth.
And you are also supporting that kind of racism and white privilege. If you are okay with that, I can't tell you otherwise.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
we've all heard this absurd slogan created out of thin air by left wing extremists. no one call truly tell me what privileges I have, they just refer to it as white privilege. since there are no examples that can be cited, it got me thinking that it's merely an excuse for people of color. thoughts.
Your OP makes me think you dont want to have a genuine discussion, but there are probably some out there who do so in short.

White Privilege is a combination of both social and economic situations. The people you know, what groups and clubs you are apart of and how hard or easy it is to get into them. Same goes for colleges and even pre schools. What neighborhood you are from,the value of your home(wealth passed down generation to generation). Even how society looks at you.

To be clear, we know that not all white people have it great in life, but the argument of white privilage isnt about failure of black people, it is about the struggle in and of itself. Condelezza Rice has made speeches about this, she just didnt call it white privilege , and entire areas full of conservatives cheer her on when she does so.

It proves that words matter to people. If a phrase is given a negative stigma, then it gets ignored by those who view it negatively and simply removing the word can make those same people cheer.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:06 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
I don't think it's an excuse for black failure. But it is still fake. It's a misconception born out of legacy wealth privilege, which is a real thing.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:20 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Agreed. I've seen men and women of all races change their names for various reasons. Robert Joseph Roberts for example uses R. Joseph Roberts rather than be known as Robert Roberts. Richard Samuel Dickson changes his professional name to R. Samuel Dickson rather than be called Dick Dickson. Women authors change their names so that men will buy their books; i.e., J.K. Rowling.

Not to mention you have to consider emails now. One example I saw is Edward Atwood, which will be eatwood@_____.com or Ursula Glee will be uglee@_____.com. It's not just blacks that have to consider how they name their children if they want them to be professionals in life.

White privilege is not racism. Racism is racism, but then sometimes it's not either. Example:

We have a construction trade business in Florida and sometimes work with apartment communities. Management is tending to be Latin now. Latin management prefers to hire and work with the Latin-owned trades. They don't hire black-owned trades, unless they have to, and they don't hire white-owned trades, unless they have to. The black and white-owned trades don't whine and cry about Latin racism. That would be ridiculous. The black and the white-owned trades go out and get more business. Own the problem, own the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

Old 12-26-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Agreed. I've seen men and women of all races change their names for various reasons. Robert Joseph Roberts for example uses R. Joseph Roberts rather than be known as Robert Roberts. Richard Samuel Dickson changes his professional name to R. Samuel Dickson rather than be called Dick Dickson. Women authors change their names so that men will buy their books; i.e., J.K. Rowling.

Not to mention you have to consider emails now. One example I saw is Edward Atwood, which will be eatwood@_____.com or Ursula Glee will be uglee@_____.com. It's not just blacks that have to consider how they name their children if they want them to be professionals in life.

White privilege is not racism. Racism is racism, but then sometimes it's not either. Example:

We have a construction trade business in Florida and sometimes work with apartment communities. Management is tending to be Latin now. Latin management prefers to hire and work with the Latin-owned trades. They don't hire black-owned trades, unless they have to, and they don't hire white-owned trades, unless they have to. The black and white-owned trades don't whine and cry about Latin racism. That would be ridiculous. The black and the white-owned trades go out and get more business. Own the problem, own the solution.
Agreed.

Tho "Latin" ain't a race and; I'm 100 percent sure a Hispanic company WILL deal with a Hispanic with an Anglo Saxon name as long as that person speaks Spanish.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:33 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Inheridated? -- I'm sure Mr. Chandler wouldn't know what to make of your choice of words.
Attacking a misspelled word? You bring even less to the table than the OP.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
There was a lot more to the post than that.

If you're named "Bambi" or "Cletus" then you might be in trouble. Black or white, there will be assumptions about you.

As it happens, if you speak with a Southern accent, that will give you trouble, black or white. Other accents will give you trouble.

True, there will be those who overlook a "black sounding" name, just like they'll overlook an "old" sounding name or an ethnic-sounding name.

They also may associate a certain type of name with personality traits or tendencies. If every Bambi they ever met was [insert negative stereotype here] then they'll react to that.

When I was a teenager, all my friends were "cutseyfying" their names and I found it nauseating. From now on I will judge a person negatively when they have that kind of "cutesy" name. Am I a bigot for doing that? Or is it only bad if it's done to a person of color? If I judge a white person named "Bambi" am I in the clear, but if I judge a black person named "Bambi," that's bad?

I understand that the line can be blurred, and I'm sure that many times someone has been overlooked for a job because their name sounded like it belonged to a minority. But the fact still remains, there are a LOT of ways that people can be judged poorly just based on their names. Some of these prejudgments CAN be avoided with smarter name-choosing by the parents. Proceed at your own peril.
Agreed and, some of our "race card" throwing fans here in CDF won't face that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies