Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 10:06 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
No. Considering that recent Africans in general come to U.S. and excel, it appears that having your cultural, ethnic, and linguistic ties in tact makes a huge difference. So recent Africans benefited from less white oppression and dominance, whereas Black Americans suffered over generations and lost so much. Even still, Black Americans are excelling in significant numbers, especially considering their experiences in the U.S.

Whites never had those things beat out of them and during all that time, were able to establish themselves. They live in a society created for them and them alone.

Though not white, I consider myself privileged to have recently come from a society where the main ethnic groups have been able to regroup and establish strong identities after slavery, indentured labor and colonialism. Whites are a minority. With that and God more than anything, I don't care much about white privilege. Thank you to Black Americans and others who helped clear the way.

We are born into our ethnicity and culture and I see no real advantage to speaking something other than English.

African immigrants excel because they aren`t rewarded for failing by a Democratic Party that is in the exclusive business of race-based excuse making/white male blaming electioneering.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:08 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
No. Considering that recent Africans in general come to U.S. and excel, it appears that having your cultural, ethnic, and linguistic ties in tact makes a huge difference. So recent Africans benefited from less white oppression and dominance, whereas Black Americans suffered over generations and lost so much. Even still, Black Americans are excelling in significant numbers, especially considering their experiences in the U.S.

Whites never had those things beat out of them and during all that time, were able to establish themselves. They live in a society created for them and them alone.

Though not white, I consider myself privileged to have recently come from a society where the main ethnic groups have been able to regroup and establish strong identities after slavery, indentured labor and colonialism. Whites are a minority. With that and God more than anything, I don't care much about white privilege. Thank you to Black Americans and others who helped clear the way.
Actually, it's only been since the Progressive programs of the 1960's that the poor US Blacks became institutionalized. Slavery couldn't do it to them, Jim Crow couldn't do it. Lowering the bar and telling them not to bother trying did it to them.

Poor Black people, like poor people everywhere, were inventive, creative, resourceful, hard working & family orientated as recently as the 1950's-1960's. At that time employment rates, two parent homes, etc were all on par with Whites. Today almost 75% of Black students come from single parent homes. The Black family has been destroyed in under 50 years. Not slavery, not Jim Crow, Progressive programs. Black unemployment has also skyrocketed in those 50 years. Now we're looking to raise the minimum wage again which will virtually ensure poor Blacks will become or remain unemployed. Not a lack of linguistic or cultural identity, Progressive politics. The Black Church was been the glue that held Black communities together, but membership has plummeted as Progressive ideology mocks religion & looks to replace it with Government.

The outsourcing of Northern factory jobs, union jobs, was another kick in the crotch. Jobs where an unskilled laborer could work his way up and earn enough to buy a modest house, a car & most importantly set their kids up for a better life, are gone forever. Democrats & Republicans, both following the Progressive blueprint of "Globalism" sent those jobs away and killed much of the Black community. That was the first time since the Emancipation Proclamation that Blacks didn't feel like their kids would do better in life than they were doing. Then of course Crack came a long and devastated a generation of Black parents, the results of which are still being felt today.

It's always easy to say what's NOT the solution. That part is easy. Voting Republican or Democrat is NOT the solution for poor Black people as evidenced by the past 50 years of policy & results. The challenge is these people are institutionalized now & lack to leadership or vision to see that they're voting for the very people that destroyed their communities & families.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
This from the black panther manifesto?
Better the Black Panthers than BLM. One demanded education, respect for community & self. The other is just an extortion racket.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is a very good example of white privilege, people shouldn't have to make sure their children's names sound more white.
This is a very good example of your race paranoia clouding a simple point. We have a mainstream culture in the United States. That culture is a mish-mosh of largely European cultures. This much is true. However, every country on the planet has the same dynamic, and they're not White so that excuse can't be blamed.

Move to Mexico and see if LaShiqua gets called for a job interview? Does that mean Mexicans too are racist against Black people? No, they have a mainstream culture. Jeff, Dylan or Brad would be equally unlikely to get called in for that interview. However, if your name was Carlos, Luis or Diego, your odds go way up. Even if you last name is Williams rather than Rojas or Gonzalez. Try this in the Dominican Republic or Cuba. Do you think Chepy Rodriguez and Juan-Luis Batista in the HR Department are going to call LaShiqua for that interview? Hell no. They're going to call Maria, Carmen or Luisa. Does that make them racists? To call Black Maria, Carmen or Luisa instead of Black LaShiqua? Obviously not. It makes them interested in culture, not skin color. In the Dominican Republic, Mexico and the United States, employers all want someone who will fit into their mainstream culture, whether it be Black, Brown or White in cultural basis. This is why a White employer may have no problem hiring a Black from Brazil, or Zimbabwe or Cuba, but would pass on an obvious poor US Black name. Culture, not skin color.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Unlike race, "white privilege" is a social construct.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:55 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Much of that income was inheridated. Hell, much of it was inheridated from the former slaves economy.

Spare me your tears.
You really do live in the myth don't you? It's the road to failure, hope you enjoy it.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:13 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Easy there. A Black dude born in France HAS to get a French 1st name, it's the LAW over there and it doesn't hurt those French nationals, otherwise Blacks would LEAVE France on the double.
Do you have a link to this law? Also, this isn't France, there is no law saying children should be given white people names regardless of race because that is racism and white privilege.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
1Originally Posted by Packard fan
I'll say this: people born in the US with normal sounding names have the rep of doing BETTER in life, REGARDLESS of race. If that makes me a racist; I really don't care because it's the truth.

So urbanlife, are you suggesting he fall into place with an agenda and embrace lies to further that agenda? That agenda being the false narrative that names have nothing to do with how we as humans judge / profile each other?

You can try to put as much lipstick on it that you want but I know when I see super strange names I automatically profile / stereo type individuals and 99% of the time my assumptions bore truth to what I had profiled / stereotyped.

Does that make me a racist or does that make simply me intuitive and blessed with a keen sense of observation?
What agenda are you referring to? I don't recall saying anyone should fall into place with an agenda.....though I do recall the other poster you referred to saying people should give their children white people name, now that would be telling others to fall into place with an agenda.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
This is a very good example of your race paranoia clouding a simple point. We have a mainstream culture in the United States. That culture is a mish-mosh of largely European cultures. This much is true. However, every country on the planet has the same dynamic, and they're not White so that excuse can't be blamed.

Move to Mexico and see if LaShiqua gets called for a job interview? Does that mean Mexicans too are racist against Black people? No, they have a mainstream culture. Jeff, Dylan or Brad would be equally unlikely to get called in for that interview. However, if your name was Carlos, Luis or Diego, your odds go way up. Even if you last name is Williams rather than Rojas or Gonzalez. Try this in the Dominican Republic or Cuba. Do you think Chepy Rodriguez and Juan-Luis Batista in the HR Department are going to call LaShiqua for that interview? Hell no. They're going to call Maria, Carmen or Luisa. Does that make them racists? To call Black Maria, Carmen or Luisa instead of Black LaShiqua? Obviously not. It makes them interested in culture, not skin color. In the Dominican Republic, Mexico and the United States, employers all want someone who will fit into their mainstream culture, whether it be Black, Brown or White in cultural basis. This is why a White employer may have no problem hiring a Black from Brazil, or Zimbabwe or Cuba, but would pass on an obvious poor US Black name. Culture, not skin color.
Because it is okay in other countries means that kind of racism and white privilege should be okay in the US, no, it shouldn't be.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:22 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
The easiest test for the acceptance of a given name is pretty straightforward. Just take the name you wish to give your child and put it into the following statements:

A. "I would like you to meet your neurosurgeon, ____________."

B (Boy): "My man ___________ has the best rock on the block!"

B (Girl): "Appearing on the Centerfold Stage, we have __________!"

Now, if the chosen name sounds more appropriate in option B than it does option A, CHOOSE A DIFFERENT ONE.

It really is that simple.
Okay, let's see:

A. "I would like you to meet your neurosurgeon, Marion."

B (Boy): "My man Marion has the best rock on the block!"

B (Girl): "Appearing on the Centerfold Stage, we have Marion!"

Now, if the chosen name sounds more appropriate in option B than it does option A, CHOOSE A DIFFERENT ONE.

Yep, they all fit. Quite simple.

Here is an 'interesting' article on the subject of 'The Name Game' as I have decided to dub this part of the discussion:

Exploring race: What's in an 'ethnic-sounding' name?

Finally, please don't 'slam' me because this is a Wikipedia reference, but this entry really has merit as it offers a variety of 'origin' ideas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_names

Names are personal. The 'history' of naming is long and on-going. If Gwyneth Paltrow wants to name her child Apple, or Jamie Oliver wants to name his child Daisy Boo, or Sting wants to name his son Jake, or Jane Doe wants to name her daughter Shaniqua, or your friend wants to name her baby Elizabeth, so be it. Many research a name they have heard, create a name from a combination of the parents' names, recall a character/place from literature, mistakenly spell a name they have heard, add a French prefix or suffix, commemorate a time/place of importance to them, want to have fun, etc., etc., ad nauseam, and make their decision.

Personally, I don't like the name Hazel (in English, but LOVE it in Spanish), but that's just me. Who am I to judge?

My dog's name is Bru, short for Creme Brulee, because he is a sweetheart and exactly the color of that dessert the first time I tasted it the weekend I first got him. His original name was 'Bruiser'; however, he is such a love that I couldn't bear for him to be called that. Besides, I wanted to name him as that is my right.

BTW, I have an Italian, masculine, feminine, diminutive name that I have come to love. It is not 'short for...". It is not a nickname. It is my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies