U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:11 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,938,045 times
Reputation: 5904

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You say that, but what classifies as decent Black family for you? I bet your neighborhood would flip it's lid if Black families started moving in because the assumption would be they are all poor people with black sounding names.
I know the difference. Too; we have few hood rats here and, MOST of our Blacks here "marry out" so B and B couples are rare.

 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:18 PM
 
4,672 posts, read 2,284,613 times
Reputation: 6160
Quote:
Good luck getting that call back from that Public Radio job in Liberal Minnesota if you're name is Joe Bob or Billy Ray.
Hmm, maybe not:

Why Do NPR Reporters Have Such Great Names? - The Atlantic

What a wonderful article! It reminds ME that even Hazel has other intriguing meanings. It would do us all well to learn more about the names we so malign or 'react to'. IMHO
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,359 posts, read 19,994,195 times
Reputation: 8307
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
*Points and laughs at the right-winger who thinks a few decades will undo CENTURIES of oppression*



How long does it take to not do something stupid?
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 PM
 
Location: St Paul
7,480 posts, read 3,489,883 times
Reputation: 4685
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I think it is still racist, I just have no interest in arguing with you over what you think is or isn't racist.

You do realize that saying it is mainstream culture is the same as white privilege. So it is acceptable racism because it is the mainstream.

So if you want your child to be more accepted, give them a white person name...yeah, that isn't racist or white privilege at all.
Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

It's not racist. I challenge you to explain how it is? If you move to Nigeria and your name is La'Shiqua you won't be seen as part of their mainstream society due to that name. Employers will judge you differently based on name alone. If La'Shiqua is Black and the Nigerians are Black, how is that racist? It's not, it's cultural. Same thing in Zimbabwe, Brazil, Cuba, Dominican Republic or Haiti. Same thing in China, Japan, Thailand or Viet Nam. Same thing in Sweden, Norway, Ireland or the United States.

Mainstream culture is always going to be formed by someone initially. Mainstream culture in Nigeria isn't racist because it's Black & African. Mainstream culture in Japan isn't racist because it's Asian. Someone sets the culture. Does privilege exist in Nigeria if you're mainstream Nigerian? Certainly. If you're Nigerian however and you name your kid La'Shiqua, then you're not mainstream and the kid will have extra challenges. Same in Japan. Same in the US. The good news is, unlike skin color or race, you can opt-in to mainstream culture if you like...or not. It's your choice. You'll notice successful Black people tend to have no problems being part of mainstream America.

If you want your child to be more accepted, yes, give them a mainstream name. Why would you have to give them a "White" name? What does that even mean? What about Donna? James? Michael? Michelle? Bernard? Lena? Walter? Marvin? Debbie? These are actual names of prominent, successful Black people in my area, certainly not White names, but rather mainstream names. You're not talking about "White" names, you're talking about nondescript names that don't scream poor and Black.
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 PM
 
13,326 posts, read 7,319,161 times
Reputation: 12352
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You say that, but what classifies as decent Black family for you? I bet your neighborhood would flip it's lid if Black families started moving in because the assumption would be they are all poor people with black sounding names.
It sounds like you are the one who has a problem with blacks.
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:28 PM
 
Location: St Paul
7,480 posts, read 3,489,883 times
Reputation: 4685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Is there anything in your world that is not racist?
No, none.
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
32,929 posts, read 19,897,081 times
Reputation: 12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Interesting point. When I was in college, I worked two nights each week until 2 am. I was frequently stopped, as well. My "White privilege" didn't protect me from suspicion for being out that late on a week night.
exactly.
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,394,135 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
This is just ridiculous.
Lets see... So the Indian lady with black skin and non-pronounceable name who came to here with 4000 dollars and made all the way to Developers manager in my large corporation did it because of her white male privileges. ok.
You don't seem to understand what this means, either that or you are trying to discredit it with a personal story that doesn't reflect the overall. Though maybe you should ask your Indian coworker if she experienced any racism towards her during her time in the US.
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,394,135 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
What does White sound like? Michelle is our Black 1st Lady's name isn't it? James is a Biblical name and a very popular one among Black men. They aren't White at all, they're common and mainstream. They're non descriptive. You hit the nail on the head though when you said they don't sound POOR! That's the deal right there.

Well, if your name is Billy Ray or Joe Bob and you live in Minnesota that name is going to be held against you all the time. The world's not fair. But, as you smartly point out, if you want to avoid that discrimination you could just go by Bill or Joe. To not do so is a choice and choices have consequences.

I moved back from Latin America and didn't have to change my kids' names. Their names are mainstream, common and easy to pronounce in both languages. However, both my best friend and myself changed our names when we lived in Latin America. His name is Brad. Ask a Latino to say "Brad", lol. It sounds like "Braaaaaahh". He just started telling people to call him "Roberto", problem solved. I had a similar issue & one simple tweak made my name is to pronounce for them. Of course we didn't have to. Of course it would have been nice of them to all learn to pronounce our names properly & not think of them as strange or foreign. Ultimately though we had a decision to make: Fit in, or not fit in.
Both names are white sounding, you can try to deny it all you want, but you know that it is true.

Do you have any evidence of a man named Billy Ray being discriminated because of his name in Minnesota?

But does your children's names sound Latin American? I didn't ask if their were easy to pronounce. You wouldn't want them to have names that sounded Latin American because they are gonna get discriminating in the US because of that, and you wouldn't want that.
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,394,135 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

It's not racist. I challenge you to explain how it is? If you move to Nigeria and your name is La'Shiqua you won't be seen as part of their mainstream society due to that name. Employers will judge you differently based on name alone. If La'Shiqua is Black and the Nigerians are Black, how is that racist? It's not, it's cultural. Same thing in Zimbabwe, Brazil, Cuba, Dominican Republic or Haiti. Same thing in China, Japan, Thailand or Viet Nam. Same thing in Sweden, Norway, Ireland or the United States.

Mainstream culture is always going to be formed by someone initially. Mainstream culture in Nigeria isn't racist because it's Black & African. Mainstream culture in Japan isn't racist because it's Asian. Someone sets the culture. Does privilege exist in Nigeria if you're mainstream Nigerian? Certainly. If you're Nigerian however and you name your kid La'Shiqua, then you're not mainstream and the kid will have extra challenges. Same in Japan. Same in the US. The good news is, unlike skin color or race, you can opt-in to mainstream culture if you like...or not. It's your choice. You'll notice successful Black people tend to have no problems being part of mainstream America.

If you want your child to be more accepted, yes, give them a mainstream name. Why would you have to give them a "White" name? What does that even mean? What about Donna? James? Michael? Michelle? Bernard? Lena? Walter? Marvin? Debbie? These are actual names of prominent, successful Black people in my area, certainly not White names, but rather mainstream names. You're not talking about "White" names, you're talking about nondescript names that don't scream poor and Black.
Again, just because it is accepted in other countries does not mean that type of racism is accepted here.

Seeing you seem to be confused of what white sounding names are, but not confused on what black sounding names are, here is a simple list for you.
Top 20 'Whitest' and 'Blackest' Names - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top