U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:01 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
WHY did it sound like a made-up story? Please give me details explaining WHY that particular story sounded more "made up" than my story about being asked getting a breast reduction, or any other story.

You first say that you don't believe ANY online anecdote, now you're saying that that particular story sounded made-up.

You can't wiggle out of this one. You cherry-picked that particular story for a reason, and again all I can say is it's obvious why. It's hypocritical. An anecdote of a black person being discriminated against doesn't make you raise the "that sounds made-up" flag. No, no, it's the story of a white person losing out on a job. That's the story you cherry-pick out, but you won't specify why, just that it does—even though you also state that EVERY story you read is not believed.

Make up your mind when you backpedal, and keep your story straight.
Well you said it was your gay white friend that experienced this and told you about it, that is quite a questionable thing. It would be like your black friend who told you that racism doesn't exist anymore.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 PM

13,583 posts, read 7,419,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You didn't realize white privilege is a form of racism?
It's hilarious that you keep going on about white privilege when you live in a Lilly white state. I guess that would make one an expert on the subject.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 PM

552 posts, read 245,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That sounds to me like the stereotype of the lazy black, that has been a staple of racism for centuries. You just don't get it. You are saying that white people have something that blacks do not have to the same degree, that results in whites ability to work harder than blacks. Why would whites have such a trait and blacks not? You cannot see that you are arguing that whites have a natural super trait over blacks and the result of that trait is that whites work harder? You cannot see that is what you are saying? That is arguing white supremacy of this trait of working hard. Again....why would white people have this trait more than blacks? Please explain
Why don't you explain why many blacks excel in all types of endeavors? Are they more privileged than the blacks who don't succeed? Are they superior to those blacks? Are they superior to the whites who don't achieve what they do? I mentioned that you can see perseverance and work ethic reap benefits regardless of skin color but you ignored that and drew the conclusion that I was stereotyping blacks. I'm asking you to come to the only logical conclusion. "Privilege" is just an excuse for not taking responsibility and working hard, assuming that you really believe that superiority is out of the equation.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It's hilarious that you keep going on about white privilege when you live in a Lilly white state. I guess that would make one an expert on the subject.
Portland is an Oregon anomaly. Most of the state's black population is west of the Cascades and east of the Willamette River, and north of and including Salem. The state capitol has to be included because it is coincidentally home to Oregon State Penitentiary.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 PM

13,583 posts, read 7,419,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
Portland is an Oregon anomaly. Most of the state's black population is west of the Cascades and east of the Willamette River, and north of and including Salem. The state capitol has to be included because it is coincidentally home to Oregon State Penitentiary.
Even so, Portland's black population at 6.3% is less than half the national rate.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,886,330 times
Quote:
Why don't you explain why many blacks excel in all types of endeavors? Are they more privileged than the blacks who don't succeed? Are they superior to those blacks? Are they superior to the whites who don't achieve what they do? I mentioned that you can see perseverance and work ethic reap benefits regardless of skin color but you ignored that and drew the conclusion that I was stereotyping blacks. I'm asking you to come to the only logical conclusion. "Privilege" is just an excuse for not taking responsibility and working hard, assuming that you really believe that superiority is out of the equation.
Lets be clear here. We all know that some blacks do well and some white do poorly. However, we are not talking about that. We are talking about aggregated results....not individual examples. There is white failure and there is black failure. If whites can fail and it not be the result of racism, than blacks can and do fail also, without racism as a cause. The question is one of the aggregate results between blacks and whites and the role white privilege has played in creating this performance gap. I then said to deny that the gap is due to external causes is to say that it is due to internal causes (the difference in the internal nature of blacks and whites). You then said that was a false dichotomy and said factors like HARD WORK could explain it. Well, the capacity, will or ability to work hard is an internal characteristic. Its part of the dichotomy that I established....is it not? Its part of a persons nature. Thus, you are saying that the gap can be explained by this......but you did not explain how whites have such a trait to a greater degree than blacks. Then when I asked you that question.....you ignored it and wanted me to focus on something else you said too.

Again....explain to me if the gap is not external in creation.....how you are not arguing that whites have some trait that is superior to blacks? How can whites be ahead of blacks, in America, and not have some traits that are superior to blacks that explain the displacement.....given no artificial manipulation by society to create the displacement.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 PM

12,403 posts, read 3,893,675 times
Yes it's just an excuse for any non-whites' failures and to discredit white achievement. "White privilege" is a racist anti-white term with the goal of disenfranchising whites and make the white race a failure.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Lets be clear here. We all know that some blacks do well and some white do poorly. However, we are not talking about that. We are talking about aggregated results....not individual examples. There is white failure and there is black failure. If whites can fail and it not be the result racism, than blacks can and do fail also, without racism as a cause. The question is one of the aggregate results between blacks and whites and the role white privilege has played in creating this performance gap. I then said to deny that the gap is due to external causes is to say that it is due to internal causes (the difference in the internal nature of blacks and whites). You then said that was a false dichotomy and said factors like HARD WORK could explain it. Well, the capacity, will or ability to work hard is an internal characteristic. Its part of the dichotomy that I established....is it not? Its part of a persons nature. Thus, you are saying that the gap can be explained by this......but you did not explain how whites have such a trait to a greater degree than blacks. Then when I asked you that question.....you ignored it and wanted me to focus on something else you said too.

Again....explain to me if the gap is not external in creation.....how you are not arguing that whites have some trait that is superior to blacks?
There it is again. I identified the meaning of "white privilege" in an earlier post, which is that all whites are racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is called racism and is what white privilege means.

Quote:
White privilege is racism? Aha! We finally got the definition of WP, it boils down to all white people are racist.

urbanlife78 denied it, But you just confirmed it. The "white privilege" peddlers need to work on getting on the same page.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:49 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,886,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yes it's just an excuse for any non-whites' failures and to discredit white achievement. "White privilege" is a racist anti-white term with the goal of disenfranchising whites and make the white race a failure.
Yeah....with 15 times the wealth of blacks....its easy to see how whites are being made to seem like the failures.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I then said to deny that the gap is due to external causes is to say that it is due to internal causes (the difference in the internal nature of blacks and whites). You then said that was a false dichotomy and said factors like HARD WORK could explain it. Well, the capacity, will or ability to work hard is an internal characteristic. Its part of the dichotomy that I established....is it not?
No, it is not, and if you think that "capacity for hard work" is an internal factor, then you are subscribing to superiority theory rather than privilege, or trying to make an excuse for why the privilege theory falls flat on its face. Are people equal or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or