U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2015, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Texas
871 posts, read 691,631 times
Reputation: 927

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Its not a false dichotomy. Either something comes from within (genetics) or it comes from without (environment). If you get a disease it is either triggered by something from within (genetic predisposition) or triggered from something that came from the outside in. If one group of people get a disease at greater rates than another group of people, then there is either a genetic and or environmental reason for it. In other words, the difference is caused from within or from something on the outside impact the inside. The same is true for the socioeconomic displacement between blacks and whites. Its either the resultant of things from within the specific nature of blacks and whites or the different experiences/environments of blacks and whites.

Now you are jumping to parenting. Thus, you are saying that the socioeconomic gaps between blacks and whites is explained by parenting. Hence, since whites do much better socioeconomically, based upon your argument that is due to whites being better/superior parents. Why would that be? You don't get it. If whites are ahead in the aggregate, whatever reason you give as the cause is saying that whites are better/superior at that than are blacks. I think you know that though.....but you are deflecting by saying you want to focus only on individuals. By focusing on individuals you can then say there are blacks who are poor parents and whites who are poor parents. However, if the ability to parent determines socioeconomic success and the average black individual in America is much worse of socioeconomically than the average white individual, that says, by your reasoning, that blacks make poor parents relative to whites. Again....why?

By you attempting to focus on individuals.....you are employing the fallacy of composition to hide the truth of what your reasoning says about the whole.
Again, you are deflecting. You want to blame everything bad that happens to Black People on Whites.

Black People do hold themselves back. When you state the White man has kept me form being able to do this or that. You are telling people like Rosa Parks that her refusal to sit in the back of the bus.....makes no difference. Or people like Clyde Kennard, Gloria Richardson Dandridge, Bayard Rustin, Martin Luther King, Jr, JFK and many others that, what they have done as INDIVIDUALS makes no difference.

The WHOLE is all of the INDIVIDUALS.

 
Old 12-30-2015, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Inland Northwest
1,793 posts, read 1,146,367 times
Reputation: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
here is another great example of white privilige:'



white Man's family accuses black Uber driver of assault in viral Facebook post.
wgntv.com/.../mans-family-accuses-uber-driver-of-assault-in-...


The police have since discovered the white man lied.

White always get the benefit that they are telling the truth,always!

Even if its a lie.

Tawana Brawley, Black. Got the benefit of the doubt, but later found out it was a lie.
Crystal Magnum, Black. Got the benefit of the doubt, but later found out it was a lie.
Kayla Simone McKelvey, Black. Got the benefit of the doubt, but later found out it was a lie.
Cornelius Weaver, Black. Got the benefit of the doubt, but later found out it was a lie.
Madonna Constantine, Black. Got the benefit of the doubt, but later found out it was a lie.
Alicia Hardin, Black. Got the benefit of the doubt, but later found out it was a lie.
Derek Caquelin, Black. Got the benefit of the doubt, but later found out it was a lie.
Jonathan Perkins, Black. Got the benefit of the doubt, but later found out it was a lie.


And on and on and on and on.


Now my question to you is this; If this country is such a racist backwater filled to the brim with white privileged hate mongers who spend their every waking moment keeping black people down, why are SO MANY hate crimes found to be frauds and hoaxes? Why the need to lie, if there's a racist honky around ever corner?
 
Old 12-30-2015, 07:28 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,748 posts, read 7,957,440 times
Reputation: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes, this was anecdotal. That said, someone calling this "bull", tells me two things.

1) Said person does not believethese things could happen.
2) Said person has a callous mentality and does not care that such stuff happened.

By calling it "bull", I believe that said person is saying "who cares what happened to you"?

Absolutely agreed.
 
Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,440 posts, read 20,090,801 times
Reputation: 8361
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
What makes you think that he should have been ahead of the Obama girls in the first place?


Other than wanting to dodge the topic, what makes you think I claimed that or anything like that?


The question is, why should a white male who grew up in a trailer park (clearly at a social and economic disadvantage) have to get in line behind the Obama girls (both eligible for Affirmative Action preferential treatment because of their race and sex)?
 
Old 12-30-2015, 07:39 AM
 
9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
Reputation: 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Again, you are deflecting. You want to blame everything bad that happens to Black People on Whites.

Black People do hold themselves back. When you state the White man has kept me form being able to do this or that. You are telling people like Rosa Parks that her refusal to sit in the back of the bus.....makes no difference. Or people like Clyde Kennard, Gloria Richardson Dandridge, Bayard Rustin, Martin Luther King, Jr, JFK and many others that, what they have done as INDIVIDUALS makes no difference.

The WHOLE is all of the INDIVIDUALS.
Every and All. These are the terms that people like you use to create your straw man logical fallacy. History has been recorded well, the last 300 plus years in America. Thus, you cannot say that white people have not done things that have harmed blacks collectively, such as having laws to keep blacks separate and unequal from whites, not to mention, enslavement. Thus, the only way to release your emotions and dissent against the claims that black socioeconomic inequality with whites is the resultant of white privilege of not having been oppressed like black people.....is terms like EVERY and ALL.

You cannot say white people did not do such things......but you can say that ALL white people did not do those things. You cannot say that whites did not cause some problems for blacks, but you can say that EVERY problem blacks have is not caused by whites. However, no one is claiming that every white person is guilty or that all black problems are the result of racism. Yes, there is and have always been non racist white people in America and yes, there are problems that blacks make for themselves all by themselves. However, the difference between black and white socioeconomic performance is the resultant of the accrued impact of centuries of white privilege/ racism...a claim that can and does exist in context with whites who are not racist and problems blacks cause for themselves.

Qualifying claims with EVERY and ALL is simply deflection and deception.....because no one is making ubiquitous claims. However, without using EVERY or ALL.....you have no tenable argument against the record of history. None!

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-30-2015 at 08:58 AM..
 
Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
8,748 posts, read 7,957,440 times
Reputation: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
...Logically, if one assumes that blacks and whites in America are equal in innate capacities and abilities, then logically inequality between blacks and whites is the resultant of some sort of privilege afforded to the collective of whites that was not afforded to the same degree for the black collectively...

That's only true if you assume ALL socioeconomic advantages are completely equitable when comparing the two groups, as well.

I would argue that the big one - wealth - is skewed largely against blacks compared to their ratio of the citizenry. I.E. there are a higher percentage of poor blacks than whites, when adjusted for the respective ratios in our countries. The reasons for that are a topic for at least one, and probably several, other thread(s) so let's not get down that rabbit hole here.
 
Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 AM
 
62 posts, read 19,560 times
Reputation: 33
Another example of white priviledge: Girl plays rock, paper, scissors with police officer to decide if she should go to jail for underage drinking

https://twitter.com/BrosConfessions/...410626/photo/1
 
Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 AM
 
9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
Reputation: 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanWilde View Post
Another example of white priviledge: Girl plays rock, paper, scissors with police officer to decide if she should go to jail for underage drinking

https://twitter.com/BrosConfessions/...410626/photo/1
Like I said, you cannot get people who believe they are superior to accept the idea that they are really not, by suggesting that they had some sort of advantage/privilege which allowed them to get ahead of you. It's just not going to happen. They are not going to be like....."Wow....I never thought of it like that"....lol. They are going to be like..."You are just making excuses because you do not want to admit that you lost in a fair game". They cannot feel superior unless the game was fair....so they have convinced themselves that it was. They see 300 year of discrimination against blacks as an offsetting penalty, because....you know...they went through the same thing. Its a wash.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-30-2015 at 10:56 AM..
 
Old 12-30-2015, 10:50 AM
 
13,545 posts, read 7,403,867 times
Reputation: 12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanWilde View Post
Another example of white priviledge: Girl plays rock, paper, scissors with police officer to decide if she should go to jail for underage drinking

https://twitter.com/BrosConfessions/...410626/photo/1
Wow. Some moron types all caps on BrosConfessions and you take it as truth?

Newsflash...people make crap up online. all. the. time.
 
Old 12-30-2015, 11:04 AM
 
7,140 posts, read 5,412,384 times
Reputation: 5315
This issue has been debated over and over.

It's probably time to give it a rest here. The reason is because most of these polls and posts here are voted and commented on by non-black people so they have not experienced the challenges that black people face therefore on the outside looking in and not experiencing the silent racism that black people experience everyday.

As a black women who has 2 degrees, a Army veteran and live in a upper middle class area but coming from a poorer area, I can say the answer to the poll is NO, it is not an excuse but a factor in the progression of black people to raise to the level of success as white people. It is well documented from established and credible sources such as the US government, Supreme Court, USA today, Washington Post and even state sources that black people have faced challenges in all areas including real estate, bank and housing practices, employment and wage gaps, college entrance and on and on. So for whites to deny it is the same as males denying the same that has exists with the gender gaps.

It exists and one of the problems is continuing to believe or reject that it doesn't. I don't understand why some people are only out for their own success and progress because I believe when people do better everyone benefits. It reduces crime, builds the economy, and even helps the moral in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top