U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 PM

548 posts, read 345,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviyan1987 View Post
Translation: Indians in my area are representative of Indians everywhere in the country.
And yet your entire post is based on your individual experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 09:39 PM

2,485 posts, read 1,839,322 times
Quote:
I've noticed something else in conservative vs. liberal areas, it seems that in "liberal" places (San Franciso is a great example of this), it is almost unheard of to see white women dating Asian and Indian men but in more conservative places and red states, it is a lot more common. Now on the other hand, in liberal areas it is very very common to see Asian and Indian women going for white men but it very rarely happens the other way around.

Maybe that is why I received so much hate for being with my wife, we were literally one of the small few couples like that. Not only did I get passive aggressive racism from white males but also a ton from women of my own ethnic background, a couple who even tried to intimidate my wife.
no one will argue with you regarding your personal experience.

i have met couples where the husband is asian and the wife is white. of course, more common to see white males and asian females. but they get stereotypes too.

one possible reason is that you live in places that are full of highly educated people from affluent backgrounds. san fran is certainly full of these extremely competitive young people, and they can be quite snotty.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:40 PM

46 posts, read 43,727 times
I'm an Indian American physician, I'm quitting medicine because I'm tired of all of these old, fat, ugly, poor, sick people of other races.

I'm moving to where I can live and work amongst my own kind.

True!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:48 PM

18,061 posts, read 10,090,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, too funny. First post. Not a previously banned poster or anything.
Joined yesterday, one post, today "Not a Member". Classic propaganda artist.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 PM

3,817 posts, read 1,618,447 times
Quote:
My parents came to the United States from India when I was four years old and I've been here for over twenty years now. I was raised a Christian and since my family was one of the very few Indian families in our area (a red state), they allowed me to interact with other races. I speak English without an accent, did things that a lot of the American kids in my area did growing up (played football, partied, ate American foods, etc.), and most of my friends growing up were mostly white and some were black. I ended up exclusively dating white girls in high school but no one really cared about it at all, there just weren't any Indian or Asian girls in my area.

After high school I went off to college, got pulled into Greek Life, and after a couple of years in college I met a girl that eventually became my wife. I look ethnically Indian and she is a tall blonde with blue eyes, far from being a common couple. Most people I knew growing up and a lot of my friends in college that leaned right never really cared to mention anything about us, they rarely brought it up which I liked.

After college we decide to move to a big city in a blue state where a vast majority of the voters go overwhelmingly Democrat. We lived there for a few years but things seemed to be completely different compared to what I experienced growing up.

1. People consistently told me "wow you have good English, you don't even have an accent".

2. People made all sorts of assumptions about me based on my ethnic appearance, one guy I knew who was an avid Bernie Sanders supporter even talked to me about the rape wave in India which I was completely unaware of. I remember back in 2012 when I said I might vote for Romney how an older white male who has been a life long Democrat focused the conversation on to my ethnic background, talking about how I carried the caste system with me to the USA when I said I would be voting Republican.

3. People consistently pointed out my wife and I being an interracial couple, saying how "unusual" it was. I seemed to get this a lot more from minorities than white people but even a few whites I knew who claimed to be liberals wanted to make it a topic of discussion.

4. It seemed like rather than being seen as an individual, I was seen as just another Indian guy who didn't fit the stereotype people had of Indian guys.

5. A few guys who have come on to my wife have made racist jokes right in front of my face, when I confronted them about it they clinged to the "I am not racist I voted for Obama" card and told me to "stop being so sensitive".

I have met a few Indian men who were raised in very liberal areas and it seems like to them, the idea of having white friends and dating whites is some sort of a major taboo while in my area no one cared.

Even among whites on the left and this is just my limited experience, I witnessed that they might talk about how beautiful diversity is but when it came to interacting and making friends, they almost exclusively wanted to be around whites just like them. I feel like they might like a minority group but they prefer not to interact with people of that minority group. In the big city I moved to, I witnessed a lot of segregation among the neighborhoods as well.

Almost all of the whites I have known who I would consider friends and brothers and have treated me as such have gone strongly towards Republicans. I feel accepted by them as opposed to liberals who I feel have never bothered to know me outside of my race and have always brought up my race in a conversation.

What is going on? Is my experience too limited to make any sort of an assumption?
I doubt doubt any of this. But lemme ask you: have you ever lived in a deeply Republican area? Republicans in a populated Blue State are a whole different breed than Republicans in the South, Inter-mountain West, and Lower Midwest. I know rednecks well seeings how I am one... I seriously doubt you'd have a similar experience in say BFE Kentucky or a ****-hole mining town in Wyoming. If you're not around ignorance and poverty on a daily basis, then you really can't grasp how they act and how they see the world around them.

Just down the road from where I grew up back in Southern Appalachia there have been several Indian guys beat up and/or harassed over the past several years for apparently looking like scary middle-easterners. This has particularly been a problem for Sikhs since they wear turbans... which is scary and foreign. And I guess maybe Osama Bin Ladin wore a turban sometimes.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:44 PM

2,485 posts, read 1,839,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I doubt doubt any of this. But lemme ask you: have you ever lived in a deeply Republican area? Republicans in a populated Blue State are a whole different breed than Republicans in the South, Inter-mountain West, and Lower Midwest. I know rednecks well seeings how I am one... I seriously doubt you'd have a similar experience in say BFE Kentucky or a ****-hole mining town in Wyoming. If you're not around ignorance and poverty on a daily basis, then you really can't grasp how they act and how they see the world around them.

Just down the road from where I grew up back in Southern Appalachia there have been several Indian guys beat up and/or harassed over the past several years for apparently looking like scary middle-easterners. This has particularly been a problem for Sikhs since they wear turbans... which is scary and foreign. And I guess maybe Osama Bin Ladin wore a turban sometimes.
I share similar experiences with him. They are not talking about a deeply republican area. Those areas have their challenges too. They are talking about liberal whites bigotry and passive aggressiveness. It's no secret, is it?

Your stereotypes are true only to a certain extent. And I'm tired of lumping everyone in the "south" together. It's just easy caricature but not really good critiquing.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:16 PM

3,817 posts, read 1,618,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
I share similar experiences with him. They are not talking about a deeply republican area. Those areas have their challenges too. They are talking about liberal whites bigotry and passive aggressiveness. It's no secret, is it?

Your stereotypes are true only to a certain extent. And I'm tired of lumping everyone in the "south" together. It's just easy caricature but not really good critiquing.
Sorry you don't approve of my personal experience with "real Americans" (Republicans' phrase... not mine)

But yeah, if he's in an area where the people are well educated and have economic opportunities (you know... a blue state), then sure the local Republicans might not be too bad. But out here in the culturally and economically barren Red States, I guarantee he won't have the same experience. If he's lucky they'll just assume he's Mexican and ignore him

It definitely helps that he's Christian. Although odds are that my kin back in Deepest Darkest Appalachia wouldn't consider him one.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:34 PM

15,088 posts, read 17,513,050 times
Quote:

What is going on? Is my experience too limited to make any sort of an assumption?
Yes. With that said, I believe you. I am an immigrant myself and have encountered people on both ends of the political spectrum. I have had negative and positive experiences with both.

The only thing you can really control is how you respond to it.

[experiences will vary - it's America]

Old 12-29-2015, 12:39 AM

12,403 posts, read 3,868,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
I recently completed a course where an Asian student actually got up and decried the lack of attention given to "racism against Asians" and proceeded to advocate for a state run newspaper that would essentially attack Republicans. The professor (who was also Asian, and I am rather sure is a Democrat) said (to his credit) "this is a joke, right?"

Asians who vote Democrat believe they are voting against whites or at least that's the intent. 'People of color' Asian, Mexican, blacks, are in a lose alliance to take America away from whites who founded and built it. Once whites are marginalized they'll turn on each other. Asians, Latin Americans, etc have their majority countries they get to keep in reserve. But white western countries are being flooded by non-whites. Western countries are being multi colonized, except the natives are suppose to welcome and help their colonizers.

The only reason liberals are for mass immigration is because it detrimental to whites. Neo-cons are for mass immigration because they want to make money (lower wages, increased demand and higher prices) and make everyone else poorer.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:09 AM

104 posts, read 236,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Asians who vote Democrat believe they are voting against whites or at least that's the intent. 'People of color' Asian, Mexican, blacks, are in a lose alliance to take America away from whites who founded and built it. Once whites are marginalized they'll turn on each other. Asians, Latin Americans, etc have their majority countries they get to keep in reserve. But white western countries are being flooded by non-whites. Western countries are being multi colonized, except the natives are suppose to welcome and help their colonizers.

The only reason liberals are for mass immigration is because it detrimental to whites. Neo-cons are for mass immigration because they want to make money (lower wages, increased demand and higher prices) and make everyone else poorer.
Why does everyone hate white people so much??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or