U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-29-2015, 11:39 AM
 
260 posts, read 177,497 times
Reputation: 439

Advertisements

Are you guys referring to the bakers in Oregon that lost their money and their BUSINESS as a result of a lawsuit for refusing to cater a gay wedding? That's appalling. Ideally, yeah they would've just baked the cake. I have a gay relative and hope he'd never face discrimination. But if they don't want to cater the wedding, just find another bakery!!!!!

It's almost like a gay mafia. You have to agree with them and cater to the gay community's every whim or you're going to pay for it. Equality is fine, but this is so far beyond that. It's not a quest for equality, it's a quest for superiority. What if the owners of the bakery were Muslim? We'd be told we have to be sensitive to their culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2015, 11:42 AM
 
Location: NY
12,263 posts, read 9,398,897 times
Reputation: 8028
Who are libs going to defend when Muslim cab drivers refuse to pick up gays because homosexuality is a crime according to sharia law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 11:44 AM
 
260 posts, read 177,497 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Who are libs going to defend when Muslim cab drivers refuse to pick up gays because homosexuality is a crime according to sharia law?
The Muslims. Because underprivileged immigrants can do no wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,971 posts, read 15,417,082 times
Reputation: 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
Are you guys referring to the bakers in Oregon that lost their money and their BUSINESS as a result of a lawsuit for refusing to cater a gay wedding? That's appalling. Ideally, yeah they would've just baked the cake. I have a gay relative and hope he'd never face discrimination. But if they don't want to cater the wedding, just find another bakery!!!!!

It's almost like a gay mafia. You have to agree with them and cater to the gay community's every whim or you're going to pay for it. Equality is fine, but this is so far beyond that. It's not a quest for equality, it's a quest for superiority. What if the owners of the bakery were Muslim? We'd be told we have to be sensitive to their culture.
No, the same laws would apply to them regardless of the religion of the owners. Somebody's religion doesn't give them the ability not to follow the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 11:51 AM
 
260 posts, read 177,497 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
No, the same laws would apply to them regardless of the religion of the owners. Somebody's religion doesn't give them the ability not to follow the law.
Find one article to prove your point. Bet you can't.

Just one article about Muslims in America facing legal punishment for their treatment of / religious beliefs about gays. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Bet you can find plenty about young white children not being told to read the bible in class, but can't find one about a young Muslim boy being told he can't read the Quran. What fantasy world do you live in where you think Muslims get half the scrutiny they deserve?

Show me an article about a democrat politician condemning Muslims for their treatment of gays. Just one.

And tumblr isn't a reliable source, before you waste time typing the url. I know that's where you people get your stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Secure Bunker
5,464 posts, read 2,479,681 times
Reputation: 5241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If there were certain designs that the couple wanted (as Lilly tried to suggest the other day) and they were denied a specific design then the bakery would have an argument of they don't make that, but that isn't what they said or argued, rather simply refused to make any cake period for them. That is where they had the issue.

They were willing to bake a cake for them under OTHER circumstances, such as a birthday. This wasn't a blanket refusal. It was a very specific situation that they objected to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 PM
 
66,214 posts, read 30,074,688 times
Reputation: 8600
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
Are you guys referring to the bakers in Oregon that lost their money and their BUSINESS as a result of a lawsuit for refusing to cater a gay wedding? That's appalling. Ideally, yeah they would've just baked the cake. I have a gay relative and hope he'd never face discrimination. But if they don't want to cater the wedding, just find another bakery!!!!!

It's almost like a gay mafia. You have to agree with them and cater to the gay community's every whim or you're going to pay for it. Equality is fine, but this is so far beyond that. It's not a quest for equality, it's a quest for superiority. What if the owners of the bakery were Muslim? We'd be told we have to be sensitive to their culture.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,971 posts, read 15,417,082 times
Reputation: 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
Find one article to prove your point. Bet you can't.

Just one article about Muslims in America facing legal punishment for their treatment of / religious beliefs about gays. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Bet you can find plenty about young white children not being told to read the bible in class, but can't find one about a young Muslim boy being told he can't read the Quran. What fantasy world do you live in where you think Muslims get half the scrutiny they deserve?

Show me an article about a democrat politician condemning Muslims for their treatment of gays. Just one.

And tumblr isn't a reliable source, before you waste time typing the url. I know that's where you people get your stuff
Do you have any evidence of a business owner who happens to be a Muslim breaking anti-discrimination laws and got away with it. This has NOTHING to do with the religion of those involved other than those who wish to make it so. This is about NOT FOLLOWING THE LAW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 12:28 PM
 
6,598 posts, read 4,553,077 times
Reputation: 13237
What about clerks that have refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples? Are they protected under the reasonable accommodation laws? Seems like they should be. It's the same issue as the Muslim who refused to transport alcohol for religious reasons. Another clerk could step in just like another driver could transport the booze. Either we accomodate ALL religious belief or none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 12:28 PM
 
15,367 posts, read 5,656,870 times
Reputation: 11511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Do you have any evidence of a business owner who happens to be a Muslim breaking anti-discrimination laws and got away with it. This has NOTHING to do with the religion of those involved other than those who wish to make it so. This is about NOT FOLLOWING THE LAW.
Exactly. Seems we have a bunch of Christians here who think they should be above the law by virtue of their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top