Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 03:07 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Let's honor the ones who came home because they are the ones who really need it. They have sacrificed as well with some missing limbs and brain damage.

unless i'm missing something.......those wounded will some day be laid to rest also......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 06:30 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How much hospital care half a dozen blanks cover?
It's big world out there. When my father died, the nearest military base was just under 300 miles round trip.

On the other hand, there are lots of VFW members in my home town.

I just don't see the logic.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
If that is the criterion why not dump them in a landfill? The dead can't speak for themselves anymore. You can bury them in a mass grave if you want. It's our duty to give them the respect they deserve but can't ask for themselves.

It's our duty to take care of the ones who survived and give them the respect they deserve. A 21 gun salute for those who died only makes you feel better. It does nothing for them.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:32 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I know. All of sudden, somebody here care about "money."

Obviously, this country has enough money to hand out welfare checks, free housing to illegal that make it across the border, but not enough money to honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice?

LOL Seriously? They should come up with better excuses other than "no money."
I've been in the Air Force budget battles. Things that shoot get priority over things that don't, and the Air Force is giving up a lot that you don't even hear about for the F-35.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Let's honor the ones who came home because they are the ones who really need it. They have sacrificed as well with some missing limbs and brain damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's put it this way, if it's a choice in spending money for a gun salute or hospital care for vets, I choose hospital care.
Wholly different agency, wholly different budget. One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 PM

My father died a few years ago, buried in the Air Force uniform he served a career in. I attended his funeral in my Air Force uniform. He received a full honors burial, seven detail members, 21-gun salute (yes, three volleys of seven) and a real bugler for taps (the benefit of dying in Dayton).

Because I was his last relative, I received the folded flag, but we did it in a purely impromptu kind of different ceremonial handoff.

I was already standing at attention, as was the burial detail. The commander turned me with the folded flag in his arms, pressed to his chest. I extended my forearms, arms, bent 90-degrees at the elbows. He laid the flag onto my forearms, and I folded my arms bringing the flag to my chest. Then I moved it to my left hand and lowered it to my side. He initiated a salute, and I returned it.

This was all done at 1-second cadence. No words, the movements just called themselves out to each of us.

Then I shook his hand and thanked him.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

Yes, because 21 blank, 30.06 cartridges, cost less than a dollar.
The personnel, volunteer. No cost to US tax payers.

No use honoring those that paid the ultimate sacrifice, for your freedom to disrespect them.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, because 21 blank, 30.06 cartridges, cost less than a dollar.
The personnel, volunteer. No cost to US tax payers.

No use honoring those that paid the ultimate sacrifice, for your freedom to disrespect them.
The personnel may be volunteers, but time away during duty hours always has an effect on duty completed and always costs money somewhere down the line.

That said, I think the Air Force could actually carve it out if they wanted to...they did during the Carter years when the budget was so tight they restricted air conditioner use in base family housing.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:54 AM

45,222 posts, read 26,431,296 times
One less military glorification ritual. I'm okay with that.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
I know so little about this. Does every veteran get a military funeral? Does the family go about making this happen or some other organization like VFW? Is VFW involved in every funeral? Do you have to belong to a VFW chapter or all veterans are automatically members of their local VFW chapters? Are the rifles real and only fire blanks? What sort of rifles?
The funeral home arranged it for us; once they say the obit that I did. He did not belong to a local VFW. My Dad served in WWII, Korean War, injured in battle and purple heart recipient. However, he did NOT want the full military service because he felt it was too hard on the family.

I requested only the flag and taps because I knew he would be rolling over in his grave if I had the guns as well.

I believe that anyone who has spent their life in the military and fought in battle deserves to be honored.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't mean to be disrespectful but why does it matter if they get a 21 gun salute or not. They're dead. Sorry, if that sounds cold but I would much rather we take care of our vets who come home...many who have become disabled and can't support their families.
The armed services is fairly rife with pageantry. That is what makes it so specials. The dead don't care about the salute but it really is for the family.

For me, though, the folding of the flag is the most beautiful part and Taps is beautiful too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies