Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 08:02 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
How was he supposed to know it was likely a toy?
By the dispatcher relaying the information that they were told.

Quote:
Every little boy likes playing with guns. In fact, at age 4 and on- they'll build a gun out of anything they can. But it's on the parents to teach kids to not point something that looks like a gun at people. I remember my mother giving me a similar warning at age 6, citing a young boy who had been shot by a police officer for pointing a fake gun (I don't know what incident she's referring to- it was the 90s and its beside the point. She warned me).
Kids will do dumb things, taught correctly or not.

Quote:
With that said, we aren't talking about a 4-6 year old. At 11 years old, you know damn well the difference between right and wrong. And you know what the police to do people who point weapons at them. I've argued with people about this before and their response was "that's assuming he has the normal mental capacity of an eleven year old". Ahhh okay. So you're argument is maybe he was stupid? If that's the case, it's his parents fault for not supervising him. A cop responding to a call knows ONLY what the dispatcher tells him. So for example, if the dispatcher told the responding officer about a firearm, you can fill in the rest.
He was 12......we do not hold 12 year olds to the same standard we hold older people. It's why they are not allowed to buy alcohol, vote, drive a car, go to prison, etc. Was he stupid? Not in the sense you are making him out to be. He was immature like 12 year olds tend to be.

Quote:
Did the officer act too quickly? I'm not sure. We weren't there, not to mention you don't know what you would you when you are (or think you are) on the business end of a loaded firearm. People forget this isn't call of duty, the bad guy isn't going to miss and you can't heal yourself with a medpack if you get shot. He felt as though he may come under fire and had a split second to react. Tamir Rice knew exactly what he was doing, and sealed his own fate.
The officer had previously been deemed too unstable to be a police officer. It's odd you seem to want to hold a 12 year old to a higher standard than we hold police officers.

A properly trained officer doesn't roll right up to someone they feel may be armed. These cops were totally incompetent in their actions. They were the adults.

Quote:
The only reason this was sensationalized is because the media can push the "white cop shoots defenseless black kid" narrative. That's the ONLY reason anyone gives a sh*t about this. People always say it's not about race, but I'll wait for ONE person to tell me the name of a white guy killed in a police shooting that someone has protested against.
Recently we had a thread here where a cop shot a young white man fleeing in his car. The officer in that case lied about what happened also and nothing was done. Many if us made the same complaints.

Quote:
I'm sure people will respond criticizing me, calling me racist, and criticizing the police without providing any good rebuttal. But I just want one name!

Don't worry, I'll wait.
Zachory Hammond

Cop shoots kid for no good reason. Judge says that's not criminal

My response is post #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:17 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's why some teach their kids to run when a police officer approaches.

I had a brother-in-law that would swear at the police every time he was pulled over. He also walked away with multiple tickets and heavy fines. Several times I just received a warning. It wasn't about race; it was about respecting our laws and the people that we have hired to enforce them. If you make their jobs harder; they will not be easy on you - that's life. They will also not be quick to respond to neighborhoods that do not respect their job.

I don't know how many of you have ever played one of the 'Hogan's Alley' video games? Here is a link to an old one called "Lethal Enforcer":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09l5HlMmrZ0. While I know life isn't a video game, bear with me. Once the add stops on that YouTube video; advance the slider about half way. Look at the scenes where you have to pick out and shoot the 'bad guys' while trying not to hit any of the good guys. I shot for six years on rifle teams and I made mistakes playing games like this one. I would not want to be in the shoes of any policeman responding to a call of an active shooter or man with a gun at the mall.

Any gun play should have stayed home - mother's mistake. How could the person know the gun was not real that made the 911 call? How could anybody know that this large child was not an adult? How could the police officer know the gun was not real - he thought he was saving lives. Now, going back to that old video game; put Tamir Rice in the place of any of the 'good guys' and he would have been shot dead - regardless of his race.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree, but it is very different in areas where the longest and costliest war in American history has always been fought. The War on "Drugs" has created literal warzones in impoverished urban minority communities across the country. Police are usually not connected to the communities they occupy, and hostility is born. The War on "Drugs" is for the most part not fought against whites or in white communities even though drug usage rates are higher for us.

It is a travesty that people are harassed everyday for potentially committing non-violent "crimes". But it is an even bigger travesty that most white/suburbanites know nothing of the longest and costliest war in American history, and the destruction and violence it causes, and has caused for 40+ years.

White-suburbanite here, and if you'll note from many of my posts here that I oppose the drug war! Why? Because I know that prohibition does nothing but creates a black market, which in essence creates more crime, and often with deadly results! I mean think about it, drug dealers can't exactly call a cop when a drug deal goes bad, so they take matters in their own hands, in which often innocent people are harmed! I would prefer that prisons reserved for the lowest of the low, such as rapists, murderers, pedophiles, and those who commit violent crimes, or rob people of their life savings (i.e. folks like Bernie Madoff) as opposed to being filled with people for possession, consumption, and distribitution of a substance, because the government thinks they know what is best for you! Sadly, this unfortunately is not the case, and sadly Americans seem to love continuing to feed the Prison Industrial Complex! Oh, and don't believe for a second that white communities aren't subjected to the drug war. Heroin and meth addiction is a huge problem in the suburbs and rural areas.

With that said, it is important for us as parents (not sure if you're a parent yet) to teach their kids well, so as to avoid unnecessary run ins with the law, or any other potential dangers. It isn't 100% effective, but it really is all you can do!

Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
By the dispatcher relaying the information that they were told.

Kids will do dumb things, taught correctly or not.

He was 12......we do not hold 12 year olds to the same standard we hold older people. It's why they are not allowed to buy alcohol, vote, drive a car, go to prison, etc. Was he stupid? Not in the sense you are making him out to be. He was immature like 12 year olds tend to be.

The officer had previously been deemed too unstable to be a police officer. It's odd you seem to want to hold a 12 year old to a higher standard than we hold police officers.

A properly trained officer doesn't roll right up to someone they feel may be armed. These cops were totally incompetent in their actions. They were the adults.

Recently we had a thread here where a cop shot a young white man fleeing in his car. The officer in that case lied about what happened also and nothing was done. Many if us made the same complaints.

Zachory Hammond

Cop shoots kid for no good reason. Judge says that's not criminal

My response is post #3.
The kid brought it on himself..Too bad.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Tamir Rice was not the first kid to meet this horrible outcome. It is for that reason that I do not allow any toy guns that look even vaguely real in the house.

My kid has a Star Wars blaster toy. Despite it being garish White and Orange, I do not allow him out of the house with it. It is simply too risky.

I still have a Crosman Pellet Rifle from my childhood (locked up). Were I to walk out of the house with it uncased, the 911 calls would be legion, a SWAT team would show up, and chances are I would meet my maker.

We live in hysterical and crazy times. Guns are not toys.

My sympathies to the Rice family.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I had a brother-in-law that would swear at the police every time he was pulled over. He also walked away with multiple tickets and heavy fines. Several times I just received a warning. It wasn't about race; it was about respecting our laws and the people that we have hired to enforce them. If you make their jobs harder; they will not be easy on you - that's life. They will also not be quick to respond to neighborhoods that do not respect their job.
There are many good cops and some not so good. Unfortunately they all get treated the same by the people and the police force.

Quote:
While I know life isn't a video game, bear with me. Once the add stops on that YouTube video; advance the slider about half way. Look at the scenes where you have to pick out and shoot the 'bad guys' while trying not to hit any of the good guys. I shot for six years on rifle teams and I made mistakes playing games like this one. I would not want to be in the shoes of any policeman responding to a call of an active shooter or man with a gun at the mall.
There are accepted police procedures. Rolling up to someone you feel may be armed is not a part of that procedure.

Quote:
Any gun play should have stayed home - mother's mistake. How could the person know the gun was not real that made the 911 call? How could anybody know that this large child was not an adult?
The 911 caller seemed to have known.

Quote:
How could the police offer know the gun was not real - he thought he was saving lives. Now, going back to that old video game; put Tamir Rice in the place of any of the 'good guys' and he would have been shot dead - regardless of his race.
Is the first person in the video game supposed to be well trained or mentally unstable?

Old 12-29-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The kid brought it on himself..Too bad.
Right, facts be damned.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
There are many good cops and some not so good. Unfortunately they all get treated the same by the people and the police force.

There are accepted police procedures. Rolling up to someone you feel may be armed is not a part of that procedure.

The 911 caller seemed to have known.

Is the first person in the video game supposed to be well trained or mentally unstable?
How come you're not a cop? You seem to have ALL the answers.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Right, facts be damned.
I couldn't care less about this little thug in the making, I really couldn't. The FACTS are he went for the gun and got shot. Oh well, lessoned learned the hard way.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Tamir Rice was not the first kid to meet this horrible outcome. It is for that reason that I do not allow any toy guns that look even vaguely real in the house.

My kid has a Star Wars blaster toy. Despite it being garish White and Orange, I do not allow him out of the house with it. It is simply too risky.

I still have a Crosman Pellet Rifle from my childhood (locked up). Were I to walk out of the house with it uncased, the 911 calls would be legion, a SWAT team would show up, and chances are I would meet my maker.

We live in hysterical and crazy times. Guns are not toys.

My sympathies to the Rice family.
People walk out of their houses hundreds if not thousands of times a day with a gun and are not shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies