U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 2,578,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Hah-nice. Hopefully she is paid more today than she was before Boeing betrayed her and many others.
I never asked if she got a raise. She did send my parents a $200 visa gift card, so I'm assuming she's doing well.

These companies need to understand that cheap labor isn't everything. Boeing tried to make it work for years and they still couldn't make the cheap labor of China produce the kind of quality that American workers produce.

I'm also an engineer. I say this in every interview I've had. It's not just how efficient I can work. I also work with a certain standard of quality. I take pride in my work. All anyone has to do is look at my work, and I make my work readily available to anyone who wants to see them.

I've seen work coming from China. They simply don't value the way we do here. That's why we see so much cheaply made products coming from over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 AM

6,456 posts, read 4,376,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Just in time to blunt Trump. Reminds of the sudden discovery that more Mexicans are leaving the country than entering. Nothing to worry. Until after the election.
So Nabisco and Ford are not moving jobs to Mexico?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:52 AM

6,322 posts, read 3,328,691 times
We should reward industries that hire Americans instead of illegals with tax breaks and penalize with taxes those companies that don't hire Americans. The tax breaks to go for higher wages to American workers and the tax penalties to fund all the subsidizing and welfare we pay for illegals in welfare, healthcare, extra teachers, extra schools, jails, extra border patrol, extra immigration lawsuits and attys, etc etc. A win win.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:57 AM

45,670 posts, read 33,930,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My cousin is an engineer for Boeing. When Boeing moved from Washington State to China, she lost her job. After the epic failure of the operation in China and losing billions to the incompetency of Chinese workers and engineers, they moved back to Washington and she is now gainfully employed again.
When did Boeing move from Washington to China?

In September, Boeing announced it would build a massive new interior finishing plant in China in conjunction with a state- owned facility to finish interiors. This announcement was made in conjunction with an order for 300 aircraft from Chinese airlines and leasing companies. Boeing estimates they will sell 6,330 planes to China over the next 20 years.

One out of every five airliners made in US factories last year was sent to China.

In exchange for access to the Chinese market, China demands foreign manufacturers to invest in building Chinese brands that, in theory could, one day, put foreign businesses out of business. Interior finishing today- maybe assembly tomorrow.

Am I missing something?

Old 12-29-2015, 08:03 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,864,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The trend of jobs leaving the US is reversed. US is seen as the more attractive place to manufacture goods.

Reshoring trend of moving operations back to U.S. gains steam

More manufacturers are bringing production back to the U.S. in an effort to cut costs and move closer to customers, among other factors, a new Boston Consulting Group survey says.

Seventeen percent of manufacturers are "actively reshoring," or moving operations back to the U.S., up from 13% in 2013, according to BCG's survey of 263 U.S. manufacturing executives in September.

What's more, the U.S. has surpassed China as the most likely destination for new factory capacity for goods sold in the U.S. Thirty-one percent of the executives with at least $1 billion in annual revenue said they're most likely to locate such facilities in the U.S. within five years, up from 26% two years ago. Just 20% would choose China, down from 30%.

That makes the U.S. the most likely destination for the new capacity, with the country outpacing Mexico as well. The reshoring trend began more than five years ago, partly reversing a decades-long offshoring movement that saw manufacturers take advantage of low foreign wages.
Well....yeah....after the cost of doing business has risen in places like China as their wages are 4 times higher now than 20 years ago.....meanwhile unions have been decimated in the US and many factories are paying minimum wage.....and using a throw away TEMP WORKERS, who they do not have provide benefits. If you want to get a job at a factory in Michigan, you most likely have to apply through a temp service.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 AM

62,745 posts, read 34,208,449 times
There were several proposals to give tax breaks to companies who bring jobs back to US, while reducing them for companies who take jobs out of US. Unfortunately, the Congress blocked those proposals in 2012, and again in 2014. Maybe this should be tried again. Or maybe it should be tried after the elections. The proposals came from Dems, and the GOP felt compelled to block them, but I think they will be happy to pass them is a Republican president proposes it.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:13 AM

45,670 posts, read 33,930,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We should reward industries that hire Americans instead of illegals with tax breaks and penalize with taxes those companies that don't hire Americans. The tax breaks to go for higher wages to American workers and the tax penalties to fund all the subsidizing and welfare we pay for illegals in welfare, healthcare, extra teachers, extra schools, jails, extra border patrol, extra immigration lawsuits and attys, etc etc. A win win.
Big business does not directly hire undocumented workers.

It's small businesses, some of whom sub contract for big businesses that employ the lion's share of illegals.
It's the US Chamber of Commerece lobby that fights e- verify and lobbies for increased H2b visas.

The House inserted language into the recent spending bill to restore a 2005 law to exclude existing and prior H2b visa holders from the annual cap. It also reduced federal oversight and limited employer recruiting to a single zip code in a legal notice in the back of a local newspaper. While the title of the 2005 legislation was intended to portray the law as favoring small businesses, the reality is that the beneficiaries are multi- national hotel brands, wineries, seafood processors, etc. Again, the US Chamber of Commerece was a driving lobby behind this allowing companies to legally hire foreign instead of US workers.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 AM

33,061 posts, read 19,994,918 times
To meet consumer demand, companies increasingly want to make products closer to where their customers are and react to trends and ship faster. Additionally, there are shipping costs and import duties to contend with when a company manufactures the products that it intends to sell into the U.S. market overseas.

So I am not surprised by this trend. I always believe in free market. Supply and Demand. Government has no role in market economy. companies go to foreign countries because of lower labor cost, now chinese labor cost is no longer competitive, and their productivity is NEVER competitive by the way. So manufactures are moving back.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 AM

808 posts, read 456,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
and using a throw away TEMP WORKERS, who they do not have provide benefits.
And I'm sure Obamacare has contributed to that...

Old 12-29-2015, 08:19 AM

35,122 posts, read 19,212,969 times
Default Bu-bu-but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The trend of jobs leaving the US is reversed. US is seen as the more attractive place to manufacture goods.

More manufacturers are bringing production back to the U.S. in an effort to cut costs and move closer to customers, among other factors, a new Boston Consulting Group survey says.

Seventeen percent of manufacturers are "actively reshoring," or moving operations back to the U.S., up from 13% in 2013, according to BCG's survey of 263 U.S. manufacturing executives in September.

What's more, the U.S. has surpassed China as the most likely destination for new factory capacity for goods sold in the U.S. Thirty-one percent of the executives with at least $1 billion in annual revenue said they're most likely to locate such facilities in the U.S. within five years, up from 26% two years ago. Just 20% would choose China, down from 30%.

That makes the U.S. the most likely destination for the new capacity, with the country outpacing Mexico as well. The reshoring trend began more than five years ago, partly reversing a decades-long offshoring movement that saw manufacturers take advantage of low foreign wages.

...this can't be true!

Obama is destroying America, remember?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies